• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bandages - A Relatively Realistic Approach

Hells High

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2011
Okay, so we all know that most of the vets (yes I am one as well, even if I enjoy Heroes more) think bandages are massive game breakers. I've seen a few bandaging threads, but nothing that really makes much sense. So, I decided to play a little and see what I could come up with.

I think it'd make most people happy if bandages took a little longer to apply. This seems to be one of the major complaints and I can see why. As it is now, you just kinda crouch, wrap in 2 seconds, then you are up and going again. Making it longer would undoubtedly make players retreat and seek cover. Trying to find some cover while bleeding out could make for some very intense crouch-and-run-while-20-Germans-spray-bullets-at-you sessions.

I believe another major issue is the fact that getting hit doesn't induce many penalties after you magi-band yourself. I believe that inducing some movement penalties, irregardless of where you were hit could help significantly. If I were shot and had lost blood I don't think I'd be as spry as usual. The could also be some area specific penalties, for being hit in the arms and legs. Shot in leg, bandage it, walk slower. Shot in arm, bandage it, more sway.

I believe this could not only help the immersion of the game and make more people happy, but IMO it also makes sense. Bandages could be more of a 'stop the bleeding and keep fighting' rather than a 'get out of jail free' magi-band.

What I love about America's Army 3 is the medic system. Although it's abit unrealistic to fight with an OPA in your face or a splint in your leg, I loved how it values teamwork. You can't cure yourself there and the person aiding a wounded ally gets a lot of points. Easily like 5 points just for binding someones wound, in comparison to 1 point for a kill.

Personally applied I think the bandage-system adds nothing to the game. I'd like to see the bleed out time much longer, apply time much longer but it would had to be done by a teammate who would be well rewarded. In addition to that, add the debuffs of slower speed or more swaying aim (depending where you were hit).

Upvote 0
The hitboxes are good, and the new bandaging system is not bad, considering that many times i get oneshooted or i die bled.

Btw, yeah, i agree about the bandaging time, it's too fast and it's the only thing considerable "arcade". 5 seconds (or more) should be a better time, actually you need less than 2 seconds to completely heal yourself and it isn't really realistic. ;)

Upvote 0
What I love about America's Army 3 is the medic system. Although it's abit unrealistic to fight with an OPA in your face or a splint in your leg, I loved how it values teamwork. You can't cure yourself there and the person aiding a wounded ally gets a lot of points. Easily like 5 points just for binding someones wound, in comparison to 1 point for a kill.

Personally applied I think the bandage-system adds nothing to the game. I'd like to see the bleed out time much longer, apply time much longer but it would had to be done by a teammate who would be well rewarded. In addition to that, add the debuffs of slower speed or more swaying aim (depending where you were hit).
If anything, I'd wish they added a medic class. Not that you see in other titles but more or less a person who's there behind the main force who's able to give out medical supplies and bandage folks up.

If need be, give a little morphine out. :p

Upvote 0
I agree that the Bandage System needs some work to make it more realistic and more fun.

I made this suggestion in my huge suggestion post here: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=57224

Spoiler!

Reactions: RiccardoTheBeAst
Upvote 0
If anything, I'd wish they added a medic class. Not that you see in other titles but more or less a person who's there behind the main force who's able to give out medical supplies and bandage folks up.

If need be, give a little morphine out. :p

By the time you need a medic, you are no longer combat effective. No longer combat effective = video game 'death'.

In other words, if you were shot up enough to need a medic, you wouldn't be fighting anymore in that battle, making medics irrelevant to the game at hand.

Upvote 0
By the time you need a medic, you are no longer combat effective. No longer combat effective = video game 'death'.

In other words, if you were shot up enough to need a medic, you wouldn't be fighting anymore in that battle, making medics irrelevant to the game at hand.

I was thinking about that really. I suppose you're right. Still, it'd be nice to have a much more dynamic system.

Upvote 0
Perhaps it could be done like in America's Army 2 (I believe in AA3 everyone carries the first aid stuff and is capable of helping a teammate). It's not it's own class, but any class can be trained as medic and have some simple first aid stuff on them.

Maybe not a similar kind of training than in America's Army, but maybe something you can unlock after a while of playing as a mere rookie. The amount of medics could still be limited like in AA (it's sort of a checkbox in addition to the weapon class you selected) to avoid everyone being one. The incentive would be decent amount of teampoints for helping out teammates. With 64 player servers, you should always find people nearby :D

Perhaps not waking people up from the dead ala BF2, but some more simple stuff. Like other supplies, your first aid supplies would be limited per resupply/respawn. Perhaps the extra carry should slow you down a tiny bit too, to compensate for the ability to reap extra points.

Upvote 0
For 'Hardcore Realims', and the way RO2 should be played...Telling that to TWI is like talking to a wall...Sigh
A quick ingame bandaging should take around 2-5 minutes to complete for a minor flesh wound...assuming help with another player.
Bandaging for a major flesh wound should not be performed ingame as its out of the scope of RO...A player is simpy combat ineffective for duration of game ( If not in the process if dying ).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree that the Bandage System needs some work to make it more realistic and more fun.

I made this suggestion in my huge suggestion post here: [url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=57224[/URL]

Spoiler!

Oh man this is very good (also the possible implementation of medics in this way)! :)

Upvote 0
What I dislike most about bandaging as it currently stands is that you're pretty much forced to drop everything and bandage in the middle of the road or wherever or you'll die in a matter of seconds.

If you're hit badly enough that you'll bleed out in only a few seconds you wouldn't really be in a fighting condition even with a silly little bandage applied. I'd rather just be incapacitated in those situations. As it is now the bandaging really serves no point and just creates silly situations without adding anything to the gameplay.

Upvote 0
I think we need a clear indication that we are bleeding and have at least 30 seconds to 1 minutes before dying.

From there. A player can either choose to go on without bandage (in a critical situation where you need to keep fighting). Or find cover and spend 10-15 seconds bandaging. After applying bandage, the player should have an aiming or mobility penalty.

That would be slightly more realistic. The way it is right now, I would rather not have it at all.

Upvote 0