• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Microstuttering

Care to explain "at the same time on pavlov" means? That might help us look into the issue.

We believe it's an audio issue. And since most people join the server at the same time, it could theoretically happen at the same time, independent of whichever map. It could be that since pavlovs is a more stressful map on systems, that it is much more noticeable.

Can you comment on what plans there are to resolve the problems if they actually are audio based? I've got very little knowledge as to how much work is required to switch from Xaudio to OpenAL for example, and as such am not sure if this is on the books for a future update, or a really far future update, or probably not going to happen.

Upvote 0
i checked the resourceusage on our server(Battlefield.no #1 Realism 42 player server), and the CPU had peaked at 64%. So the server is not the issue here.

As for sound: Testing more tonight.

How many cores does the server have?

I ask because if the server is anything like the client, it does not multithread well, so tracking CPU utilization is not going to give you a realistic picture of whether or not the CPU is the bottleneck.

lets take the extreme example. 1 running thread, not multitheaded loads one core to 100% but can't go any faster because it can't make use of more than one at a time. if you have two cores, then this is going to be reported as 50% CPU utilization, even though one core is pinned, and is the performance bottleneck.

Sadly, even looking at the utilization per core isn't a good way to track whether or not you are CPU limited, as the scheduler load balances heavy threads (to make sure the CPU heats up evenly, among other things) and switches heavy threads between cores several times a second. The task manager doesn't update often enough to notice this, and as such is really reporting the ~one second average load for each core.

Again, in the extreme example of one 100% loaded thread on two cores, this is going to be reported as 50% load on each thread, but it can't go any faster, because it is alternating super fast between 100% load on core0 and 0% load on core1 and 0% load on core0 and 100% load on core1.

These are - of course - highly oversimplified examples, but they illustrate why you can't use CPU utilization to diagnose a CPU bottleneck.

The best, way to diagnose something like this is to benchmark it. Test the CPU at current clock, then clock it down a few hundred Mhz. If benchmarked performance decreases, you probably have a CPU bottleneck.

Upvote 0
Our server has multiple cores. Battlefield.no has very modern serverHW. Its not consumer grade CPU, its proper server hw(Xeon, Opteron etc). Dont have the exact specs though, but according to the servermaintainers, the server resources is not a problem.

They have however mentioned that RO2 uses more resources per player than Battlefield games. Im guessing its the Unreal engine's "jvm" that takes a lot of resources since RO2 is probably the most "expensive" UE game ever released when it comes to gamemechanics(projectilecalculations etc). Too bad UE dont use a JIT, maybe it would have helped serverperformance somewhat.

It might be the design of those maps(pavlov, barracks, station) that tend to encourage a lot of players be in the same area at the same time that is the problem -and causes the soundissues to become more apparent. However, I have noticed the same "microjittering" problems with very few players in the game on pavlov.

Upvote 0
If you have decent fps but have micro stuttering go into you RO engine file in my documents search for [TextureStreaming] under it is PoolSize set it to half your video card ram.Example I have 1024 Vram on my card so I set pool size to 512.Unless its been changed the default was 140 this will help you card load textures more efficiently.

Should help with micro stuttering just dont set it no higher than half your Vram or you could have stability problems.

Funny this thread is up as yesterday night I experienced the same issues. I open the console and it showed I was getting 77-85 (in some places of the map I get 95-102 (SP)) fps.

I was assuming it could be texture streaming because usually at the start of every match I go in and out iron sights a few times. The zoom in usually streams some further texture details on the map and gets the micro stutters out of the way. Yet yesterday on Barracks in the first Russian cap the stuttering was so apparent I thought it was my CPU giving out.

Will try that that in the config and see if it helps on this particular issue.

EDIT: The stuttering also most likely could have been related to my CPU having an issue throttling itself last night (which I since fixed) so all this could simply be a matter of coincidence on my part but the config tip was nice to get out of this thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think a Preload textures option would help killing off the stuttering. Now there's no preloading at all going on as you have to reload textures every time you alt+tab out of game and the game stutters like no tomorrow for few seconds. In AA2 there was this option, isnt this possible with UE3 as well?

Upvote 0