• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

SS overnerfed?

Try HC+LAR.
It's magical.

Cept then you can't really do much vs bigger stuff, which is what people expect of the SS. I'll admit, HC+LAR is some of the most fun I've had as Sharpshooter, hands down. But it's just not viable in later waves.

I remember when 9_6 was helding the post of change, most people agree that only making the hs multiplier to 4x can do the trick. But suddenly in beta the prics is 200%, starting ammo is downed 70%, and max ammo is downed 10%. And scrakes and fleshpounds hs resistance is buffed.

And all of a sudden everyone is like "good change", and start to state why why why. Just because it is official, following that mindset must be right, and everyone try to act smart. Remind me when the chainsaw get nerf so much.

Even with those changes, it's still a pretty amazing weapon...up until Hell on Earth, where a Fleshpound takes over half a dozen X-Bow headshots to kill, and a Scrake takes 3-4. Then you pretty much get kicked down to the role of headshotting Husks/Sirens since your gun can penetrate through trash.

This wouldn't bug me so much if the alternative, the M14, didn't suck as hard as it currently does.

Upvote 0
Cept then you can't really do much vs bigger stuff, which is what people expect of the SS. I'll admit, HC+LAR is some of the most fun I've had as Sharpshooter, hands down. But it's just not viable in later waves.

The only bigger stuff you can't take on with this are pounds (sorta. You CAN kill them with the LAR but it requires a lot of consecutive headshots) but those kind are kind of off limits for reliable soloing to every perk except demos anyway.

Upvote 0
how about a compromise? I mean the old price was just plain ridiculous, to be honest.

I dont think $400 is too expensive with the current states of xbow. They should either make it $400 or make each arrow cost $3.3 like it "appears" to be.

I prefer $400, because it still cost very much for you to refill, and you will not start with $600.

Upvote 0
I dont think $400 is too expensive with the current states of xbow. They should either make it $400 or make each arrow cost $3.3 like it "appears" to be.

I prefer $400, because it still cost very much for you to refill, and you will not start with $600.

umm.....am I the only one who thinks that having a powerful sniper weapon capable of single-handedly dealing with scrakes, having infinite penetration, and capable of one-shotting anything beneath a scrake (not to mention being able to slaughter anything on the lower difficulties) at the same price of the Tier 1 bullpup is a little odd?:rolleyes:

I have an idea: Sharpshooter discount, but not all the way to 400, maybe 500 (or maybe to 400). That way, it eliminates the ridiculous SS starting money (kills the sell value), while mantaining the general price at reasonable levels. I'm just sayin', if there must be a price reduction, perk bonuses seem the logical way to do it.:D

Reactions: Spicy
Upvote 0
Xbow:

Base weapon price 1250 (from 800)
Gets the 70% price reduction as Sharpie (just like the HC(s) and M14) putting it down to 375 as a level 6 Sharpshooter, similar in price to other perks' tier 2 weapons (The Xbow IS a tier 2 weapon fyi!)

Base ammo price 10 (from 20)
The sharpie should get a 40% ammo price reduction at level 6 (rather than 42%) leaving the bolts at cost of 6 per bolt (rather than 11 per bolt) and makes sell/rebuy strategies obsolete (sell/rebuy/refill the remaining ammo would cost 238, while buying full ammo (36 bolts) only costs 216)

And perhaps (not necessary, but interesting imo) put the weight down to 8, allowing it to be carried together with the LAR :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
capable of single-handedly dealing with scrakes,

Everytime I see this I think of fire axe...

having infinite penetration

After penetrate more than 3 or may be 4 zeds, it really dont do much unless you hit the head. And is it really the case when you can still predict where the head is when 10+ zed is in the line of fire? 99% of the time there will only be 3-4 zeds in the line of the arrow will travel. (unless you line all zeds up on purpose which is not the case on mutiplayer) So in most case, shotguns penetration is much better, AND MORE THAN ENOUGH.

Although it HAS infinite penetration, you just dont need THAT much penetration. Just like it is one of the most damaging weapon on single hit next to the LAW, you ONLY need that much damage when facing scrakes, fps and patty. (unlike the LAW, you can hit the target with highest hp and kill everything small around it)

and capable of one-shotting anything beneath a scrake (not to mention being able to slaughter anything on the lower difficulties) at the same price of the Tier 1 bullpup is a little odd?:rolleyes:

Fire axe again? In fact katana also do that... may be hunting shotgun?

Well... $400 is really not that cheap as you would think of... however I support the idea of increasing the price and having discount on sharpshooter perk. Just fix:
1. players able to spawn with a $600 weapon
2. make AT LEAST harpshotoer dont need to pay more than the cost of T3 weapons to have a T2 weapon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There would be no problem if an xbow bolt would actually cost 3.3 pounds like it says in the changelog.
It would be for picking off medium sized targets with meatshields in front of them then.

Lowering the xbow price would be a good idea because then it would be more worth buying and not just mainly sold for 600. I think getting 600 starting money is too much after wave 1.

These, I'll agree that the Xbow's price matches it's OLD power, not it's new nerfed state. 800 dosh plus almost 300 more for full ammo is ridiculous considering what it is now.

That's a good suggestion.

Upvote 0
I still hate the sharpie being stuck with it as his main weapon.

No one's even mentioning the M14 as an alternative because...it's freaking NOT. It says a lot when someone says they'd rather have the LAR to down FPs than the M14.

...on the topic of the Crossbow, though...IMO, it should be brought back to $400 and perhaps nerfed a bit...HOWEVER, a newer, high-tier version of the weapon should be added that'll cost a bundle, but be better than pre-nerf X-Bow. Perhaps a Rail Rifle, super-powerful .50cal Rifle with penetration or something similar. That way the X-Bow could maintain it's tier but those that want the "Super-Railgun" style weapon can still have one.

Reactions: Spicy
Upvote 0
Yeah, semi-auto was not the way to go with Sharp's tier3.....not to mention that awful ironsight. A higher-tier version of the Xbow might work, but I can see it having the same problem as the 1014 Xbow had.

I see nothing worng if a sniper 2 shotting fps and need to reload each time you shoot (like LAR) and with limtied ammo (so you ONLY ABLE TO shoot fp and scrakes or you run out of ammo) with weight 13 and cost 3000 like the LAW.

Upvote 0
I see nothing worng if a sniper 2 shotting fps and need to reload each time you shoot (like LAR) and with limtied ammo (so you ONLY ABLE TO shoot fp and scrakes or you run out of ammo) with weight 13 and cost 3000 like the LAW.

I think it'd be a bad idea from a design perspective because it basically mandates that someone stand around all wave waiting for ONLY FP's or Scrakes, which makes for very boring gameplay for the user, and decreases tension for the rest of the team (like 1014's Xbow did). Thinking about it from a development perspective, we WANT everyone to panic when the FP comes. We also want everyone to be playing, and not waiting around most of the wave. That's why I liked it when they added to the LAW's max ammo, because the Demo could now contribute more often, and not be waiting around all wave to shoot 6-7 rockets.

Upvote 0
I think it'd be a bad idea from a design perspective because it basically mandates that someone stand around all wave waiting for ONLY FP's or Scrakes, which makes for very boring gameplay for the user, and decreases tension for the rest of the team (like 1014's Xbow did). Thinking about it from a development perspective, we WANT everyone to panic when the FP comes. We also want everyone to be playing, and not waiting around most of the wave. That's why I liked it when they added to the LAW's max ammo, because the Demo could now contribute more often, and not be waiting around all wave to shoot 6-7 rockets.

Then may be xbow to weight 8 and the new weapon to weight 10?

But in fact if a good demo or 2+ support is in the team... fleshpound will never cause the team to panic...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, why did my post get so completely ignored?
This is what i posted earlier for what could be done with the Xbow:

Xbow:

Base weapon price 1250 (from 800)
Gets the 70% price reduction as Sharpie (just like the HC(s) and M14) putting it down to 375 as a level 6 Sharpshooter, similar in price to other perks' tier 2 weapons (The Xbow IS a tier 2 weapon fyi!)

Base ammo price 10 (from 20)
The sharpie should get a 40% ammo price reduction at level 6 (rather than 42%) leaving the bolts at cost of 6 per bolt (rather than 11 per bolt) and makes sell/rebuy strategies obsolete (sell/rebuy/refill the remaining ammo would cost 238, while buying full ammo (36 bolts) only costs 216)

And perhaps (not necessary, but interesting imo) put the weight down to 8, allowing it to be carried together with the LAR :cool:

Combine that with the addition of the work-in-progress M99 (discussed in the Horzine M7A3 and HK MK23 thread), which is a huge and powerful sniper rifle. Here are my proposed stats for it:

M99:
Perk - Sharpshooter
Weight - 14 (Then you can't, as a Sharpie, carry anything else, not even Machete/Pipebombs. Support can carry it with a Shotgun though)
Cost - 4000 unperked (perhaps more?)
Ammo - 1 bullet in the rifle, 20 to 30 or so total shots
Reload - Slower than xbow
Damage - Enough to 1-headshot a 6-man HoE Fleshpound as a lvl 6 Sharpie (the low ammo, non-repickupable ammo, slow reload, high cost and high weight all balances that up) and perhaps even with just a bodyshot kills all specimen except Scrake, FP and Patty
Extra - Pierces quite a few targets, just like the Xbow (or better)
Scope - Similar to the Xbow

That way, the Xbow is a "weak" tier 2 sniper rifle, whereas the M99 is a really powerful tier 3 sniper rifle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, why did my post get so completely ignored?
This is what i posted earlier for what could be done with the Xbow:

Combine that with the addition of the work-in-progress M99 (discussed in the Horzine M7A3 and HK MK23 thread), which is a huge and powerful sniper rifle. Here are my proposed stats for it:

M99:
Perk - Sharpshooter
Weight - 14 (Then you can't, as a Sharpie, carry anything else, not even Machete/Pipebombs. Support can carry it with a Shotgun though)
Cost - 4000 unperked (perhaps more?)
Ammo - 1 bullet in the rifle, 20 or so total shots
Reload - Slower than xbow
Damage - Enough to 1-headshot a 6-man HoE Fleshpound as a lvl 6 Sharpie (the low ammo, non-repickupable ammo, slow reload, high cost and high weight all balances that up) and perhaps even with just a bodyshot kills all specimen except Scrake, FP and Patty
Extra - Pierces quite a few targets, just like the Xbow (or better)
Scope - Similar to the Xbow

That way, the Xbow is a "weak" tier 2 sniper rifle, whereas the M99 is a really powerful tier 3 sniper rifle.

Like someone point out that we should not make a weapon making the user playing with his thrumb most of the time.

Upvote 0
Well, then the whole point of them making the M99 is kinda pointless cuz it would be kinda ridiculous if a M99 headshot didn't kill a Fleshpound.

My PERSONAL opinion on the making of the M99 is to scrap the idea, but that doesn't stop me from TRYING to balance it, does it? :)

Besides, regarding the waiting around, you have the 9mm to shoot around with, it's still a Sharpshooter weapon for trash :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0