• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

So I finally bought myself a car

Conscript

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2005
England
And I thought I'd show you all. Behold, my first chariot....
Image014.jpg

Image015.jpg

V/1999 Ford Focus 1.6LX [AC]

It may not be super fast (Although it's certainly no slouch) but it's big, comfy, has air-con, and for

Speedometer sensor in the gearbox needed replacing, but apparently it's a common problem and was taken care of under the warranty. Apart from that, no real major issues.

1.6 is large to me. Seeing as I used to get around in a 1.0 litre Yaris that belogned to my sister.

And at least, unlike American barges, it can get around corners ;)

Also, it was more built for comfort, not speed. Hence the air-con, which is pretty useless at the moment (English Decembers :rolleyes:). I shall be singing it's praises come the summer months though, I hope :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

It's WHAT!? :eek: You have a funny idea of "big" when it comes to cars... My wife's Bronco (curb-weight of about 4500 lbs, 5 liter engine, etc) is "kinda big." A Chevy/GMC Suburban (the 3/4 ton model with the 454, man I miss those, they curbed at about 5500 lbs - I worked for someone who'd supercharged hers!) is big. But, a Focus (which I'd guess the curb weight as being around 2800 lbs, max)!?

Lol.

The 1.6 liter engine isn't/wasn't even an option over here. IIRC, you had the choice of a couple different 2 liters. Or 2.3 liter engines.. I don't remember for sure, the first ones might have been 2.0 with 2.3 coming later...

Kinda like outside NA, you can get a Mazda MX5 (Miata, damn it!) with the old 1.8 B-series or the new 2.0 MZR.... the 2nd gen Miatas could be had with the 1.6 or 1.8 where they only bothered with the 1.8 here... a shame, since the 1.6 was possibly the more fun, responsive engine.

Could I get a pic or two of the engine bay? I'm a mechanic, so call it professional interest. I wanna see what differences I can spot.

They're pretty reliable cars. You guys in the UK are lucky - you can get the 2nd generation Focus, we're STILL getting sold the 1st gen cars (like yours) over here - unless we wanna buy the Volvo version... that thought's enough to make me wanna puke. Not that the 1st gen are bad, but, DAMN, sell it on both sides-a the pond!

Upvote 0
OK, the engine is not big, but at least average by medium sized car standards in Europe. We don't have the vast distances to cover that you have in the US. Neither do we have particularly attractive fuel prices. Indeed, most of my driving is urban, and the maximum speed I drive at is probs gonna be around 80mph on the motorway. Why do I need a 2.5 litre turbocahrged auto fluxing combustulation capcitor pushing out 34091341341324 brake horsepower just for that? I love big powerful cars as much as the next man, but the Focus is perfect for my needs. When Im older, richer and mroe experienced, maybe Ill upgrade to somehting with more power ;)

As it is, this one accelerates smoothly and powerfully, will cruise comfortably at 70 (the national speed limit) and will climb hills under full load without rolling back down. Does the job for me ;)

Also, sure, I dont mind people posting their cars in here. Any friendly mod wanna change the title or something? :)

Upvote 0
Yeah, you should definantly get your steering wheel checked out.

Yeah the gas prices in Europe are killer, they really need to invade a Middle Eastern country soon! :p

When I was in Europe for school, we took a bus around when we went to Germany, but when we were in Italy with our exchange family, we rarely drove, pretty much all travel in Italy consists of trains, in fact one night coming home from some small city, I got the pleasure of standing in the front part of the train (I believe it's called the engine) and I got to see how it all worked, very interesting to say the least, not to mention we were FLYING! :)

Upvote 0