• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will RO2 use DX10?

Direct3D is the graphics bit of DirectX afaik. Opengl is a different graphics library, that is open (open source?).

From my experience Win7 can run at least as well as XP, if not better on the same hardware - its memory management is very good.

As mentioned previously, DX9 can still provide most of the graphics features needed, but the benefits come in the rendering speed, which of course is good news for everyone :)

Upvote 0
Thing is Windows 7 is a huge resource monster, don't bother playing games on it with less than 4gigs ram (64 bit anyway).

Even when I make it look like Win 98 the performance is alot worse than XP, granted my machine is old now and 2gigs don't cut it anymore.

The funny thing is even old/older games run worse under Win7 and newer/new games run pretty good on XP

Upvote 0
Thing is Windows 7 is a huge resource monster, don't bother playing games on it with less than 4gigs ram (64 bit anyway).

Even when I make it look like Win 98 the performance is alot worse than XP, granted my machine is old now and 2gigs don't cut it anymore.

The funny thing is even old/older games run worse under Win7 and newer/new games run pretty good on XP

I've found windows 7 superior in terms of performance compared to XP. Although it appears to have used all your memory when you are at the desktop (which is a good thing - presumably its been bought to have data put in it), it rapidly dumps it when a full screen application kicks off.

Several housemates have upgraded their netbooks to win 7 from XP and all are noticeably more responsive with at most 1GB of RAM.

Anyway, to address the topic, I would love to see a DX11 version, even if it is patched in later (as with company of heroes), perhaps when DX11 configurations are more widespread. Looking at the steam hardware survey, 5.6% of users have DX11 systems and 56% have DX10 systems.

Upvote 0
I've found windows 7 superior in terms of performance compared to XP. Although it appears to have used all your memory when you are at the desktop (which is a good thing - presumably its been bought to have data put in it), it rapidly dumps it when a full screen application kicks off.

That is odd because most benchmarks show that XP and Win7 are mostly equal and sometimes XP is even better in games.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/windows_7_review?page=0,3

But I guess you got more than 2 gigs of ddr 1333 you probably wont notice much difference.

We'll see how long it takes for DirectX 12 to be released and if you have to buy yet another new windows for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snuffeldjuret
Upvote 0
That is odd because most benchmarks show that XP and Win7 are mostly equal and sometimes XP is even better in games.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/windows_7_review?page=0,3http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/windows_7_review?page=0,3

But I guess you got more than 2 gigs of ddr 1333 you probably wont notice much difference.

We'll see how long it takes for DirectX 12 to be released and if you have to buy yet another new windows for that.

You can't cite a more than year old test and expect it to still apply in the world of technology. The test in that link is from 2009 and Win 7 is running SP1 now for a start.

Win 7 is a worthy upgrade from XP, it's rock stable and manages memory very efficiently. Give it a fast CPU, plenty of ram, an SSD and watch it fly! :IS2::IS2:

Reactions: Game-Enthousiast
Upvote 0
You can't cite a more than year old test and expect it to still apply in the world of technology. The test in that link is from 2009 and Win 7 is running SP1 now for a start.

Not to forget the inevitable hardware\driver\optimisation issues coming by whenever new OS comes around. By the time XP came around Win98\2000 or even ME could outperform it until things got beter, and once Vista came around the driver issues would imply even DOS could outperform Vista, until things got beter yet again etc.

Upvote 0

Win 7 is a worthy upgrade from XP, it's rock stable and manages memory very efficiently. Give it a fast CPU, plenty of ram, an SSD and watch it fly! :IS2::IS2:

Yes, that was my point it needs more resources, my PC just cannot handle it and that games therefor perform better on XP. If you got a new and good PC it will be better especially since DX10 gives more performance if the game is well optimized.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm one of the (probably many) people who have a rig that runs most games well enough under XP, but there's no way I can sacrifice the potential 20% loss in framerates in going to Windows 7 with DX11.

So I'm hoping the DX9 version still looks good.

i got a 2 core at 1.86 ghz
2 gigs of slow ddr2 (337 mhz?)
and a 9800gx2
running under winblows 7 64 bit home premium

i can run metro 2033 at high on dx10! but arma 2 jsut kills my system when going threw a town with shadows enabled.

winblows 7 does not hit your performance as hard as vista...IDK, i like 7...but i liked LATE vista as well.

Upvote 0

as stated before, i have a 2005 computer with a 1.86 dual core and 2 gigs of ram....XP was never been on that system, but its a jump up from vista. and when im modding notepad files that need to be the same the snap thingy helps a lot....but its mainly a "look what i can do" thing for gammers!

Upvote 0
I've been dual booting for a good while already.
XP 32 & W7 64 both pro or whatever.
In my personal experience the difference between DX11 & DX9 is minimal for the everyday user.
I refer to Dirt2 and Stalker (the last one:p).

For the programers and whatnot, I'm sure they are happy.

I'm running a 460gtx 1g with 3 giga of Kingston.
I have by force of using, a preference for the W7 build.

Upvote 0