• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Recon Plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halfshadows

Feb 23, 2011
Seriously tripwire? Why is there a recon plane feature. If Red Orchestra is supposed to be realistic, why is there a recon plane that tells you where the enemy is. And how does it get communicated down the command chain? Telepathy? It makes no sense. I feel like this is codifying our beloved game. And how is a recon plane supposed to get there in the first place. Weren't germany and russia fighting for air superiority. Maybe if different maps had different air superiority, or there was some system for fighting over it. It would be cool to see planes fighting each other in the air, it would really add to the atmosphere. But the recon planes system ro has right now makes no sense. How is a guy in a plane supposed to see people and tell the commander where they are. I'm really concerned about RO becoming like CoD. We have recon planes and arty, so why not add in dogs so we got all 3 kill streaks. What do you guys think? Should this feature even be in this game? And if so, how would you balance it or make it realistic.

Seriously tripwire? Why is there a recon plane feature. If Red Orchestra is supposed to be realistic, why is there a recon plane that tells you where the enemy is. And how does it get communicated down the command chain? Telepathy? It makes no sense. I feel like this is codifying our beloved game. And how is a recon plane supposed to get there in the first place. Weren't germany and russia fighting for air superiority. Maybe if different maps had different air superiority, or there was some system for fighting over it. It would be cool to see planes fighting each other in the air, it would really add to the atmosphere. But the recon planes system ro has right now makes no sense. How is a guy in a plane supposed to see people and tell the commander where they are. I'm really concerned about RO becoming like CoD. We have recon planes and arty, so why not add in dogs so we got all 3 kill streaks. What do you guys think? Should this feature even be in this game? And if so, how would you balance it or make it realistic.

At the end of the day, it's a video game. It's supposed to be fun. I'm sure their talented QA staff is finding the right balance between hardcore simulation and COD.

Upvote 0
I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to make it balanced. And, it's a stretch, but if the spotting plane had a radio it would be able to radio the commander with the enemy positions... I dunno, I'm willing to give up a little realism for another feature. It won't keep me up at night.

Edit: After looking at more information about this, I actually must say I think it's pretty cool...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
At the end of the day, it's a video game.

This

The officer calls it in via radio. The recon plane uses a radio to communicate back to the officer, who relays that information to his troops. The recon plane can only show the enemy positions that are exposed (ie not in cover)

Exactly, and it's not like it'll even be that useful, at them most it'll show where the flock of enemies are generally around like if they are going for point A or point B. and that's if Thier not in cover.

I think it all makes sense, and the whole "telepathy" thing is just to make the system actually work without being lame.

Upvote 0
Hahahah, you probably think its like COD UAV witch its not, it wont show people inside buildings and in other cover, and the squad leader or that class gets information first, then later the normal soldiers.

Its fine, no need to get all rage about it, and you havent even played it so how can you tell its bad.. btw recon planes were in the war atleast i would think so, so its completely fine..

I predict a lock?

Reactions: nike_angus
Upvote 0
They did use recon planes in real life, you know?

You have a delay on the information depending on what rank you are so its not all that useful in an intense firefight if the information is 10seconds delayed and alot of firefights take place in buildings and last time I checked you cant see through roofs and also last time I checked the recon plane can only detect stuff in its direct line of sight. This means that its rather realistic actually and is generally used to spot the direction the enemies are pushing at NOT to give you the gods all seeing eye advantage like the SR-71 blackbird or the UAV in cod.

Upvote 0

Pfffff. Tell me, what is not realistic? Recon plane flies low enough to see enemy troops on the ground that are exposed. Recon plane then tells commander where people are VIA RADIO (yes, they had radios in WW2 :rolleyes:). Nothing unrealistic. If you believe this game is becoming another WW2 COD, then you are badly mistaken and should do more research. Also, since the planes would fly low enough to spot soldiers, you can shoot them down with your small arms. This is a fact, ask any dev. Ramm said in one of the interviews that you can shoot the plane down. And maybe there isnt constantly enemy interceptors flying above? It is too late in the game now too implement air battles. WAY too late.

Your post was very uneducated.

Upvote 0
I'm ok with the feature in RO2. But I do find it extremly annoying how games are having UAV's and Arty strikes, kill streaks and all just to get a piece of CoD money.

Although just because it has those cool features doesn't mean its a COD clone. Game is nothing like it.

Still, hate the fact COD took over online gaming.

Upvote 0
Should this feature even be in this game?
The fact is that it is, for better or worse.

And if so, how would you balance it or make it realistic.
By doing what they already have done.

Personally I cant don't see the use with the limitations it has. So I cant see it causing any problem.
Other than some red letting me know that, an enemy may be/of been were I already expected them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think John does a good job explaining the feature here and showing it has a significant game play purpose (because yes - it is a video game built for entertainment after all) while at the same time ensuring it isn't cheap nor ridiculously overpowered or handled like how UAV and/or similar features are handled in other games.

Tripwire - Red Orchestra: Heroes Of Stalingrad Part 4 - YouTube

I'm sure whatever post release features that are added to the game can help add to the potential of the reconnaissance plane (whether it is offensive or defensive measures) and hell - we can even get some AA in the future as well.

Upvote 0
I liked the dogs... They were fun, one of the better cod features to be utilized IMO-

If the recon planes gave general time delayed heat zone type locations outside.. I really do not think it will take anything away from the game.

Bottom line is in most games anything more then a simple glance at your hud and you die... in RO you will just die that much faster.

Besides hud on demand is the mechanic so in RO2 you will probably die even faster if you are looking at it to much.

Reactions: nike_angus
Upvote 0
If you and half a dozen other people are flanking the enemy, and when they see a recon plane coming and all of you stop moving and sort of camouflage yourselves on the ground, would you still be spotted? In real life, a recon plane couldn't see you, but a computer can't tell the difference and you'll get spotted and everyone will know your flanking. This will ruin the balance.

Upvote 0
If you and half a dozen other people are flanking the enemy, and when they see a recon plane coming and all of you stop moving and sort of camouflage yourselves on the ground, would you still be spotted? In real life, a recon plane couldn't see you, but a computer can't tell the difference and you'll get spotted and everyone will know your flanking. This will ruin the balance.

I posted that video in my post for a reason. He explains a very similar scenario to the one you are inquiring about here.

"If they're in under a tree or inside a building it won't spot them."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well depends on how obvious your sticking out. I've only flown in black hawks flying low, and during the day its pretty obvious seeing people ( but we were flying REALLY low) Also in wwiionline you can spot inf from the air. But yes harder to see if not moving so maybe that should be taken into consideration (but also its a game)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.