• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Has RO reached perfection?

Its still very similar to the mod, but there are a few differences imo:

I did not mean the mod for i've never played it,buyed full version the day it was out instead.

I am talking about my first impressions about RO back then,when it was out,game gave a feeling like they were going to fix some issues like:

insta-ejecting from tanks...

ultra-fast weaponswitch,autoswitch

reloading while proning,crawling with IS on,

slowing turn speed on pron maybe limiting the arc like the setup MGs(for example you have some penalty to your sensitivity when your rifle is rested,in other words your mouse moves a lot slower but if you are prone you can turn 180 degrees in 0.0001 seconds,depending on your sensitivity)

some penalties for Run and Gun

big useless tracers(well they are useful for your enemies at least)

very stupid angling benefits in tank combat.

supersonic bulletcrack,well this is not about gameplay but it is an easy to implement realism thing

more blur and suppression effects:

List goes on and as you see they do not seem like hard work at all,maybe a few hours of changing lines,it is not like adding strafing planes instead of Artillery or adding kingtiger or bullet penetration.

Upvote 0
Ahh yes, the "It's so easy to fix" argument.

If it was so easy to change/fix (depends on the situation), don't you think we would have done it? Don't you think the community would have done it with a mutator (There aren't many coders in the community but there are a few, and it will only take them a few hours, so they should have turned that right out in no time at all)?

End of the story is, everybody's definition of "perfect" is going to be different. Not everything is so "easy" to change. Every time we do change something we have to think of what consequences will result, both adversely and positively.

Is RO:O perfect in Tripwire's eyes? The answer is no. Will RO:O ever be perfect in Tripwire's eyes? Once again the answer is probably no (be it to engine limitations, or to just time limitation). There are some things that we have decided we just can't do this time around, and we will take the lessons we have learned and apply them to future products from Tripwire should we find ourselves in a situation where we can use them. Our team is growing, so we will be able to do more in the future (1 man coding the majority of RO:O, to a code team coding project 2).

Since we have that code team now (how I wish we had these guys during Ostfront development), I think some people will be excited to hear more about the upcoming changes in our next patch.

-Edit- Actually decided to leave it open for now.

Upvote 0
Yeah, sorry, sell out etc.

If thats a reference to my post, I'm not saying TW have "sold out" - I posted the differences I saw and wasn't biased at all - I looked at both sides. I don't think TW are anywhere near to selling out, just think a couple of things have been done to make it easier for newer players. On the whole though I think RO is leaps and bounds ahead of what it was as the mod. Also, I think for you guys its good to have negative feedback, as long as its not wholely biased by looking at only the bad things - when you stop listening to the things that you don't really want to hear thats when you'll start making stuff thats not that good imo. If everyone just said everything was perfect all the time then you wouldn't be getting decent feedback imo

Last edited:
Upvote 0
when RO receives bullet penetration I will then say it has reached near perfection :p

*Disclaimer- Yes, I am well aware that it will not happen. I understand the limits of the engine. This does not change the fact that bullet penetration is a critical element to any "realistic" game and has a huge effect on gameplay and cover vs concealment.
I don't believe that engine limitation stuff with bullet penetration, this isn't a mod anymore so they should be able to do it.

Upvote 0
Except they are still trapped within the confines of the game engine.

They have said before iirc that they could do it, but to do it right it would take far more time than its worth. There is a penetration mut available now but its a little buggy I think..if they took that and made a few alterations it would probably be fine - the bulk of the work is already there I think. But is it worth it considereing the huge cpu hit? I dunno if it adds much to the game really. If it was limited to some surfaces like doors, SOME walls it would be OK..you don't really need much more than that

Upvote 0