• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Pistols in Realism Mode

Demonic Spoon

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2006
So... I looked around specifically for some realism servers, and found a couple (including a TWI realism server). However, it still had some relaxed-realism features like riflemen running around with pistols.

Also, the number of squads was supposed to scale with playercount and that does not appear to be the case (if the server is less than full, everyone can run around with a semi auto rifle, for example).

Are these features just...not implemented yet? What's going on?

The squad scaling is in, it's just not that granular scaling. It works so that a new squad opens up when the team player amount hits a certain number.

Then the scaling is not working properly. I saw 4 SL positions open and 6 assault (or something like that)...With 9 players on riflemen.

I guess it is a server setting, so if the server admin did not switch it off it wil still be ingame.

I set the filter for "Hardcore" realism (not 'custom'). I joined an official Tripwire Interactive Realism server.

Upvote 0
Bump.

Can we get an official response here? I've joined realism servers before and found that pistols are still available for riflemen and such.

According to this post from the devs, that should not happen.

5) In Realism/Custom mode without unlocks/rare weapons will the players be issued common equipment such as bayonets and PPSH-41 drums? Will servers be able to choose which specific weapons or unlocks are unavailable?
In custom mode you have a lot of different options. You can limit which weapons, and which levels of ranking are available. So if you don't want the rare weapons, you can tell the server not to allow them. If you don't want guys to have "perks" or any ranking benefits, then you can limit that. I don't think there are any settings to force things on though. In realism mode however, it is going to be set up where only the historically correct classes are equipped with pistols.

Is this a beta-only thing?

Upvote 0
Yes, it does actually. Rifles are decidedly inferior for close-quarters combat than pistols. If you're running through a building as a rifleman, a smart player will be running around with a pistol.

But the close quaters SMG will destroy the Pistol unless you're an idiot. The pistol pretty much replaces the rifle CQC duel.

Upvote 0
But the close quaters SMG will destroy the Pistol unless you're an idiot. The pistol pretty much replaces the rifle CQC duel.

True but many a times I have taken out SMG defenders in Apartments with carefull use of the excellent bullet penetration trick. (their pretty like black boots clipping through the wall, and them using the new cover system also helped)

But I love rifles for their lethality indoors, but it would also be nice to have a bayonet for CQC though. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think it's a good thing. Bolt action rifles are at a disadvantage in CQC, so any little thing helps. Really, it's not that big of deal.

And SMGs are at a disadvantage at long range. Should SMG players get sniper rifle sidearms?

Riflemen running through houses with pistols is ahistorical to the point of complete absurdity. At the very least it shouldn't exist in realism servers.

Upvote 0
And SMGs are at a disadvantage at long range. Should SMG players get sniper rifle sidearms?

Riflemen running through houses with pistols is ahistorical to the point of complete absurdity. At the very least it shouldn't exist in realism servers.

Agreed. Please take out pistols in Hardcore Realism.

This may be a bug though, because in HC, the rifleman loadout does not show a pistol, yet the other class loadouts that should have pistols, show the pistol in the loadout screen.

Upvote 0