• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Specimen Attacks

omarfw

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2009
Here Be Dragons
www.last.fm
I thought it would spice up the current specimens a bit if they had new attacks added to them. So here's a few I thought up.

Clot: Nothing really to improve here. It's the basic drone and should stay that way with nothing special. Though I still stand by my idea to make the occasional clot crawl on the ground with its arms if both its legs are removed.

Stalker: This specimen currently has one attack. It gets kind of old. A new animation at the very least would be good. Or maybe a triple attack of 3 fast blows right after each other. I mean, after all that sneaking up on you and she only lands one hit before you turn around and peg her? That's hardly enough to make the stalker effective. I don't think i've ever been killed by one. Their low health makes them negligible as a threat. Make people actually care when they hear her nearby!

Siren: At first I thought, add a new scream that damages armor only or makes your vision go all crappy so you can't see to aim. But then I thought, naw that would get really annoying really fast. Her screams are already annoying sounding as is. So now my idea is to give her the option of breaking out of her restraints and becoming a melee machine (think banshee from zombie master. something like that.) this would make the siren more challenging and fun to go up against AND solve my issue of wanting a specimen that can haul *** at you which so far no specimen can really do. Get rid of that dumb biting attack she does and replace it with a real melee attack. And since it would be random when she breaks out it would mix up the gameplay and make it that much less predictable. You could also give her a milder scream when unbound that doesn't shake your view and does far less damage then her normal scream.

Crawler: Crawlers are pretty damn effective as is. They're feared by beserkers and are usually the ones to land the killing blow on you when you're running away to heal. My only idea for them thus so far is to give them the ability to run on ceilings on walls. I know, an extremely far-fetched task and it probably isn't even possible with the ut 2.5 engine but I think we all agree it would be kickass.

Gorefast: Give them a vertical "power strike". One that is slow and easy to dodge but if it lands it does massive damage. That's pretty much it for gorefasts. Haven't given them much thought being that they are pretty damn efficient as well.

Scrakes: Change their name to "scarke: battle master of the thousand suns" and give them another chainsaw hand and chainsaw feet. :D
If not that, then give them a slow power strike as well.

Bloat: Bloats aren't very feared and I think they should be. If crawlers can be feared then why can't the big blobby thing with 10000 health also be feared. When I see a specimen my instinct should be to shoot it, not start up a conversation while waiting for the next group of crawlers to show up. I think the bloat should explode into a bunch of weak tiny crawling specimens of some sort that sort of act like homing missles that explode next to people in little acid explosions. They would do minimum damage of course and would be about as easy to hit as a spore in halo to prevent bloats from becoming too powerful because of this. Other then that, I think their explosion should have a slightly bigger radius and it shouldn't look like rain falling out of a cloud. It should look like acid is actually spraying everywhere. Oh and add some faint sizzling steam effects or something when the acid hits the ground.

Fleshpound: Two suggestions for the fleshpound. It doesn't actually have a pound attack despite it having pound in its name. I think it should have an attack (either a new animation or a power attack but it sort of already has a power attack. oh well, it's the fp why not give it two power attacks lol.) where it actually pounds the ground and shakes the view of anyone nearby. If anyone is unlucky enough to be caught in this attack they will suffer heavy damage. Just to make sure the fp doesn't rape every beserker with this attack, i think it should only be allowed to use the attack once every 10 seconds and only when it is raged. and hell, add some new ground scarring effects just for that attack. make it realistic.
My second idea for the fp is this: If they can die from being raged then why not make them blow up? Like a grenade explosion but not as damaging as if you were standing over a grenade. How cool would it be if you damaged a fp enough while it was raged and then it started super raging and shaking and starts glowing orange or something but its belly machine blows up cuz it cant handle it. At the very least it makes killing a fp that much more satisfying. Also it shouldn't happen everytime a fp dies. It could look cheesy if done badly but TWI is awesome so that's not really possible.

Patty: Nothing really to add here. His running animation needs some tune-ups but thats not what this thread is about. I do think he needs to spawn better specimens when he needs to heal. The current ones he spawns are hardly a diversion. You can just shoot through them without breaking your stride as you pursue the patty to his heal spot. Other then that, why not give him the ability to jump in the air and land with a big thwomp next to someone occasionally? He was able to do that in the mod and doing flying leaping spin kicks and ****. What happened to that?

I like the idea of the FP smashing the ground.
Maybe it could be changed so it would be stationary for a couple of seconds while it pounds the ground, looks up and rages towards someone.

I like the idea of the clot crawling aswell, it could be something that most people don't notice while surrounded until it's attacking you from behind.

With the stalkers, since they have low health and a low damaging attack, I think they should be clever enough (they say stuff like 'give us a kiss', right?) to head around and flank you and a few of them not attack you head one.

Upvote 0
This won't change anything. You got bored with the current specimens? If TWI would add these attack styles in the game, the result would be the same, you get bored to them within few months and ask again for more attack styles.

sure, maybe if I was a whining nob lol. i'm not asking for more attacks because i'm bored of the current specimens, i'm asking for more attacks because I think the current specimens aren't variant enough and they could use a few more attacks.

The typical "bored with the game" idiot would simply say "the specimens need new attacks" and then not post any ideas. Or they would just ask for new specimens which is far less likely to happen then for TWI to update the current ones.

Asking for even more after THAT would be overkill. Besides, I can't think of anything else to change besides the ideas in the OP that wouldn't ruin the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its Supposed To Be True To The Mod

I just wanted to say that this game is supposed to be true to the original mod and not to become some overrated game like Halo I MEAN other games. We can't add al this stuff because it is a conversion of a great mod. I was skittish when they anounced the heavy metal pack but it turns out the weapons are balanced and fit in quite well despite that they werent in the mod. Some stuff can be added but alot of stuff needs to be left alone.

Upvote 0

I just wanted to say that this game is supposed to be true to the original mod and not to become some overrated game like Halo I MEAN other games. We can't add al this stuff because it is a conversion of a great mod. I was skittish when they anounced the heavy metal pack but it turns out the weapons are balanced and fit in quite well despite that they werent in the mod. Some stuff can be added but alot of stuff needs to be left alone.
I may look like a noob due to my post count but I have been playing this since the 1.0 mod and think it is very true to what it was supposed to turn out like. The one thing I hope they add in the future is a Story mode with a full story to the game even taking ideas from the 1.0 release story. And after this we could use the story gamemode to create our own story maps and improve maps like KF-Thehive.

Upvote 0
I may look like a noob due to my post count but I have been playing this since the 1.0 mod and think it is very true to what it was supposed to turn out like. The one thing I hope they add in the future is a Story mode with a full story to the game even taking ideas from the 1.0 release story. And after this we could use the story gamemode to create our own story maps and improve maps like KF-Thehive.

I hardly think adding small details like new attacks for specimens is going to make it drastically different then the mod.
But also you have to understand, it's not a PORT of the mod, it's a REMAKE.

Are you saying the mod version was perfect and that it couldn't have been improved?

You actually thought the heavy metal pack could've potentially ruined KF? That's insane, it's just a katana and an ak47 and a new map. That isn't really drastic change.

It's like you think TWI could actually ruin their game if they go too far. That my friend is not possible. TWI has never failed to give us what we want while also not making games that appear "stuffed".

KF is a fun game but it is far from perfect and all games have room for improvement.

It'll be a long long time before KF becomes too crowded with features and such and even then TWI would never let that happen to their base gameplay. You may see it on heavily modded servers but not in the core gameplay.

I feel like you didn't even read all of my post since you said "all this stuff" as if it was a lot when all the suggestions I made (cept for maybe a few like the bloat mini-bombs) were really all just very small additions. Nothing insanely different and nothing that would drastically change the game.

I respect your "if it ain't broke don't fix it" stance being a mod-days player but cmon man, that is the old KF and this is the new KF. It's an awesome game already, why stop there? It has so much potential. It's built off the mod version obviously but it's not "supposed" to be anything. Why limit KF? Take some risks and you may just end up with an even more awesome game.

(also halo is a horrible thing to compare kf to because that game is loaded with nothing but ****ty mod servers and as such was ruined as a game multiplayer wise. this will never happen to kf.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0