• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gameplay addition

VoRgAn

Nov 30, 2010
France
Hi all. First of all, happy new year to everybody :)

So, the serious buziness ;

In RO:Osftront, we have to take all the points in order to win the battle (or to defend it or to have more than the opponent, depending of the map).
What do you think about different kind of points ? I explain :

A/ The victory points (those you have in ROI)

B/ Bonuses points =
a/ reinforcments supply point
b/ better weapons points
c/ better tanks points
d/ special points

Examples :
a/ when you have this point, you win 2% more of reinfs per minute ...
b/ you can have 2 SVT's more for the game ...
c/ you can have a most powerful tank for 1 spawn each 5 minutes ...
d/ when you have this point, you have one more salve of artillery each 5 minutes ...

Those bonuses points are not needed to win the battle, but they may help. They can be owned by nobody at the beginning (meaning the teams will have to fight to get it) or allowed to one team at the beginning (if it is an attack/defence map) but will give less bonuses to the defender than the attacker. I think it might be interessant, because you'll have to divide your team (or not) : Will you try to rush the primary points to win fast ? or will you try to get these reinf point and try to kill your opponent with human waves ?

A max of 2 bonuses point on a map is good, and this can be change by the server admins (from none to 2), and can be choose randomly each round. It could be used in a campaign (if you have X reinfs points, you have X more reinfs than the other team etc.).
Problems : some guys may focus on the secondary points and forget the primary points. But after all, it's the game ...

So, what do you guys think about that idea ?
Sounds good (more "fun" and diversity in the gameplay), or it's not realist (or too "Codish" ?) at all ? If yes, should it be allowed in clan matches ?

Reactions: Frostedfire
AAAhhh know i get it!

you are suggesting side-objectives

lets take rakowice form RO1 for example:

main Objektives
[Perimeter] - cap this to be able to attack Hanger
[Hanger] - cap this to be able to attack Control-Tower
[Control-Tower] - cap this to win the map

side Objectives
[Flak 88] - capture to be able to, lets say, call 2 additional Arty Strikes
[Bunker] - capture to get 2 additional EliteRifleman classes for 5 min or something like that.

well would be certainly something different.

Upvote 0
The new Men of War: Assault Squad(beta) had a similar mechanics in its Skirmish mode. There were locations on the map which you could capture, and each location was giving you a specific bonus. One location would make tanks available for reinforcements, another one would give you artillery, etc. So there could be different tactics applied depending on how the players decide to advance.

Upvote 0
Sounds complicated, but interesting.

I would hope that each objective captured would have a realistic reason it would help. For example, capping a motor pool would provide an extra tank. Capping an ammo dump would provide more weapons / roles.

Even if this doesn't figure in on individual map games, it could be implemented to affect War Power in the Multiplayer campaign mode.

For example, in some maps you win by holding more objectives when time runs out. If one of those objectives is the motor pool, then you get more tank reinforcements in the next map. Or if you cap a medical station, you get more reinforcements.

Upvote 0
That's it O'shannon :)

You've the primary objectives needed for victory and secondary objectives, not needed for victory but which may help.

It would be really interesting to add that to the gameplay.

Example 1 :
- Russians have to take 1 VP (Victory point). They can take a secondary objective which would give them a T-70. These secondary objective is owned by the Germans, but it can be owned by nobody, meaning that the two sides may fight to get it (Will the Russians let the point to the Germans, or make 2 different attacks to take it ?)

Example 2 :
- Russians and Germans have to take 1 VP. Plus they each have one to defend. There are 2 secondary objectives, one giving one tank and an other one 3% of reinfs/min they can take.

Of course, those points may be recap.

Upvote 0
Although it does add to gameplay, neutral points take away from realism - In Stalingrad the only neutral point was a very very very thin line or a WALL that divided the 2 sides. The area was held either by Soviets or Germans And sides never went into attack against another attack, you're either attacking or defending - that said theres no need for the defenders to come out of their entrenched positions just to take an empty field and come into the open view of enemy machine guns and sniper fire.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Frostedfire
Upvote 0
Although it does add to gameplay, neutral points take away from realism

normal cap points take away from realism, but we have them to be able to win without spending ages spawnraping the other team (or maybe spawnraping the other team to take the points, which is a fine tactic AS LONG AS YOU TAKE THE POINTS :mad:

another idea would be if you couldn't spawn as those classes, you take a warehouse and you have eg crates of svts that spawn so the side owning it can get some extra firepower without having to respawn. I think this idea was mentioned waayy back when this forum started up too :IS2:

Upvote 0
I like this idea. It basically rewards a successful team.

The way I understood it is that, for example, if the soviets capture objective x, they are awarded with some sort of perk, be it a tank, more elite classes, more artillery strikes, or what have you, for a period of time.

I don't think that what perk the team gets should necessarily derive from the sort of objective captured (a motorpool, warehouse, etc.). In most RO maps, objectives get progressively harder to capture; take Koningsplatz, Rakowice, etc. Capturing objectives in ascending order could yield better perks.

Or, if it is even possible to code, depending on how much reinforcement points are lost in capturing a certain objective would dictate the magnitude of award.

A defending team could be given similar perks; like more mg classes or whatever. Their awards could be dictated from how long they hold an objective or how many kills they accumulate.

It is similiar to Men of War: Assault Squad, but it nevertheless is unique and could offer some interesting twists in multiplayer battles.

Upvote 0
normal cap points take away from realism, but we have them to be able to win without spending ages spawnraping the other team (or maybe spawnraping the other team to take the points, which is a fine tactic AS LONG AS YOU TAKE THE POINTS :mad:

another idea would be if you couldn't spawn as those classes, you take a warehouse and you have eg crates of svts that spawn so the side owning it can get some extra firepower without having to respawn. I think this idea was mentioned waayy back when this forum started up too :IS2:

And finding a crate of SVT's in a warehouse that was already pillaged by Germans is realistic?

Upvote 0