• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

help please, im freezing!!

hi guys,

heres a screeny of the system process running during another lock-up.
KFprocesses.jpg

Upvote 0
So, when you get this issue, does it seem that the hard drive is being read from heavily? You can use the Windows Task Manager to watch Killing Floor's Hard Drive Usage, but you'll have to add the column first. In the Windows Task Manager, select the "View" menu at the top, then click "Select Columns..." and check the box next to I/O Reads. When the computer freezes, see if that number is counting up more rapidly than during normal gameplay, please.

Upvote 0
So, when you get this issue, does it seem that the hard drive is being read from heavily? You can use the Windows Task Manager to watch Killing Floor's Hard Drive Usage, but you'll have to add the column first. In the Windows Task Manager, select the "View" menu at the top, then click "Select Columns..." and check the box next to I/O Reads. When the computer freezes, see if that number is counting up more rapidly than during normal gameplay, please.

will do, i'll post them in a few minute, cheers
ioreads.jpg
[/IMG]
the reading remained eactly the same during the lock-up..ie..the readings for killing floor.exe

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's strange. The Unreal engine 2 uses the Karmy physics engine, not PhysX like Unreal Engine 3.

i dont know the ins and outs, but it definately helped in my testing.

maybe its some sort of GPU/KF conflict that shouldnt, but might be happening.

as i say, it doesn't completely stop the issue, but its definitely better with it disabled (i can now play several waves without it happening, instead of it happening several times per wave)

:)

edit: i'll re-enable and see how it goes:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
false report...im really sorry :(

just opened and closed the game many times, with and without Physx running.

on the last occasion running without Physx enabled, it locked up for a similar duration to when it was enabled.

feck!

edit: im gutted, sorry for misinformation, but i was able to play westlondon more or less freeze-free after disabling Physx earlier:(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
At least, it was worth the try. One thing less that could affect Killing Floor.

I took a look at your processes list, there was one file that stand out: cisvc.exe

This file is sometimes associated to the RBOT worm. Could be, doesn't have to. It's part of an indexing service. It scans your harddrive. That could be one reason why you have the freezes.

Also, did you try adding an exception in Avast? If not, this should help:
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=201

Upvote 0
At least, it was worth the try. One thing less that could affect Killing Floor.

I took a look at your processes list, there was one file that stand out: cisvc.exe

This file is sometimes associated to the RBOT worm. Could be, doesn't have to. It's part of an indexing service. It scans your harddrive. That could be one reason why you have the freezes.

Also, did you try adding an exception in Avast? If not, this should help:
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=201

im just defragging my c:drive, but when thats finished, i'll end that process (cisvc) and try again :)

tbh, i've not noticed any of the ci**** processes until very recently.

cheers for the suggestion.

Upvote 0
I don't think it can be HDD-related as it happens during a game and as far as I know all necessary access is done before the match starts. Maybe I'm wrong?

It can't be CPU-related either according to those screenshots. Perhaps your GPU is overheating? I'm not sure it'd make a lot of sense since you don't have this issue with other games, but it's a possibility I suppose. Try enabling v-sync, and if this doesn't help try reducing your graphics settings (with v-sync enabled) and see if this helps.

Upvote 0
I don't think it can be HDD-related as it happens during a game and as far as I know all necessary access is done before the match starts. Maybe I'm wrong?

Currently there is an issue that loads content while the game is being played. We have corrected the issue and it will be fixed in the next patch. In the currently live version of the game, though, this has been found to be the cause of a 3-10 second hitch during gameplay.

Upvote 0
Currently there is an issue that loads content while the game is being played. We have corrected the issue and it will be fixed in the next patch. In the currently live version of the game, though, this has been found to be the cause of a 3-10 second hitch during gameplay.

Jolly good show, chaps! I can't say this prolem is major for me, but it is an annoyance.

Upvote 0
Good news everyone!

Good news everyone!

prof.jpg

Another Update:

I have managed to play for over a day (mostly solo for testing purposes) without any 'hangs' during actual game-play (like on the video). load time is still slower than it was, but not excessively so.

basically, i can now play again, and im really chuffed.

the steps i took:

1: I defragged C:\, - although steam is on my D:drive, they both share the same physical HDD, so i thought maybe it couldnt do any harm. According to Ultimate Defrag, it wasnt that bad, but it did neaten up my page file and move the 'most used' files to the fastest /outer sectors.

2: i had an issue with my dual monitor set-up..when i selected all programs in the Start menu, the listings would be way off to the left side of the screen, meaning i couldnt access them. i couldnt find a solution on google other than a registry fix, which didnt sound right.
So i uninstalled my graphics drivers and reinstalled, which solved my weird start menu problem.(and possibly my KF problem).

edit 2: i should note that the dual monitor problem only happened after the issues with KF, which suggested to me that there was maybe a corrupt file or registry error in the driver install...i made sure that i ran CCleaner after uninstalling.

1 and a half days into testing, i havent encountered a single hitch (they were occuring every wave at one point).

i hope this helps :)

and thanks for all the suggestions people...its a great community/devs :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0