• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Without working VOIP, this game is in serious trouble.

GunSlingerAUS

Sep 11, 2011
I absolutely love this game - from the movement system, to the map design, to the combat, to the everything. Best of all is the intense focus on teamwork - if you don't play as a team, you're screwed.

Unfortunately without VOIP it's impossible to play.

Every map that I've played is more like team deathmatch than a properly organised team game, and it's because the VOIP isn't working. There's absolutely no way to co-ordinate my squad, or the squads around me, without being able to speak to each other. What use is a HMG and the suppression system when we can't tell each other where to cover or when to charge? How can one squad flank while the other suppresses without any ability to do so? Most servers I've played on have disabled the VOIP for some reason (perhaps it contributes to the lag issues?), but even when it's enabled it doesn't work. All you can hear is broken up jibberish that makes no sense.

There was another game this year that focused heavily on teamplay, and also had broken VOIP at launch - Brink. I'm convinced that if the VOIP was working properly, Brink would have more than the 100 or so players that still play it daily.

I want RO2 to succeed, but it's worrying that such a fundamentally important piece of the game doesn't work. And without it, there's no way for the dozens of other gameplay mechanics to work properly. I urge Tripwire to focus their efforts on getting the VOIP to work, otherwise the new players are going to give up quickly, and this game will remain destined to be a niche title played by a couple of hundred hardcore fans.

Nice post, Was looking through the forums for this. Its a Big problem for me also. A Team based game NEEDS working Voip. Yes clan matches will use TS3 but our public servers are lacking Team play. Its hard to give commands if im not sure if any one can hear me or if im just garbled.

I have no idear about the code but im guessing its because of the unreal engine and voip being introduced as an after thought because UE games arnt perticuarly team based? Can it be fixed either in house or an incorperated bolt on?

Info please.

Upvote 0
Its a two edged sword.

Often people use VOIP in game for purposes other than the gameplay itself.

Even if 1 person can say the right thing, since many players have different skill levels and different types of training regarding the game it is unlikely that 1 person's commands will make a difference.

If you are interested in doing better on a public server its much better to have a few mates on your own voice comms rather than trying to herd cats.

Upvote 0
we have 20+ in TS but we play on diferent teams.

Yea you will get the odd idiot shouting and swearing but you just hit the ban button.

Most players on our server want to team play. Its not about giving comands but rather letting team mates know enemy positions, room clearing etc things that bring a squad together.

Without this its very hard to get any organisation going.

Upvote 0
Im not sure working VOIP is as important as youre suggesting, given that half the people who use VOIP just like telling people what to do without any demonstrable skill at doing so, and 50% of the people on the server are apparently trying to play WW2 Counter Strike and are oblivious to the need for teamwork anyway.

Upvote 0
Most decent servers are run by groups that have their own out of game voice coms set up and a good portion of those open them up to the public. Personally I really don't want to hear a bunch of squeakers trying to yell in the mic or retards keying up their fav hip hop song as if we all want to hear it.

IMO the VOIP shouldn't be forced on us as it is now and it should require you to join a channel if you want to be on the voice coms. Besides that I've heard quite a few people using the in game voice so it's not broken, for everyone (I haven't tried myself)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Im not sure working VOIP is as important as youre suggesting, given that half the people who use VOIP just like telling people what to do without any demonstrable skill at doing so, and 50% of the people on the server are apparently trying to play WW2 Counter Strike and are oblivious to the need for teamwork anyway.

I really hated it in RO1 when 14 year old kids thought it would be a good idea to take command of the whole team (by torturing my ears with their high-pitched voices)

Upvote 0
Agreed. Not sure what servers or games people are playing where it's common for people to scream or play music or whatever but I have rarely experienced that. Most games I've played with built in voip use it for its intended purpose. Not sure if RO2 has it but usually you can just mute anybody who is being disruptive. Communication is essential for this game to be fun.

Upvote 0
Haven't noticed any misuse of the VOIP in THIS game yet, whatsoever.

Have noticed some garble, but its no surprise when entire servers occassionally go to 988 ping across the board. Latency.

VOIP is very important though, so much so that the team who uses VOIP always wins when the other team isn't using it. Doesn't matter to me who is issuing suggestions and warnings, doesn't matter how old they are - if they are correct and trying to be useful. When I hear people complaining about some kid's voice, to me it just makes them seem less mature and useful than the kid trying to help his team win. I'd pick a squeaky kid who knows the map and is trying to help his team win over a dude who only pipes up to complain about the kid's voice and doesn't warn me about flankers and crucial objective timing.

I definitely DON'T want third-party VOIP, for a variety of reasons. Teamspeak and ventrilo are for games that don't have VOIP, and they are a pain in the butt. I want it built-in and working correctly.

So far it does work correctly, in my experience. Just nobody using it because the game is so new and you don't see a lot of very experienced players yet. But just like RO and DH, before long it will be commonplace and even crucial to winning.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
agreed, they need to fix it.

In RO1 i found it immensly helpful for people to tell each other where the tank was, or co-ordinate attacks.
Its far simpler than using the clumsy command system.

It really doesnt work at the moment.
You can transmit, and you can hear, but what you hear is a bunch of chopped up garbage that isnt understandable, and its like that on all servers. :(

Upvote 0
Personally, I almost always turn VOIP off if given such an option or I will go into the game files and turn it off my self.

Having been online gaming since I was very young, I've noticed it is EXTREMELY rare for people to actually use VOIP in a way that is actually beneficial to the team. On top of this, the VOIP systems in most games makes VOIP sound like sputtering from someone anus.

There is a reason why anyone who actually cares about using comms properly uses Vent, TeamSpeak, or one of the alternatives.

Reactions: slyder73
Upvote 0