• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What's breaking the WW2 experience for you?

First off, I find RO2 to be VERY immersive so far.

However, what I want is as little onscreen "noise" as possible.. Chat boxes, messages, "allies are attacking the ..." etc. Those are important messages but can't they just go in the dialogue box? It's all a bit much.

I think the future of this game, maybe RO3, will be a smattering of different animations.. Maybe 5 or 6, so that not every soldier (on one side) runs exactly the same, or jogs the same, or crouches the same.. There can be some height variation, etc. It kinda kills the realism when everyone runs out of spawn together and it looks like they are all in sync, just robot clones of each other.

But it's a minor complaint, all of these things will get better as conputers have higher specs and game development continues to advance. I can only imagine what it will be like in a few years.

Upvote 0
First off, I find RO2 to be VERY immersive so far.

However, what I want is as little onscreen "noise" as possible.. Chat boxes, messages, "allies are attacking the ..." etc. Those are important messages but can't they just go in the dialogue box? It's all a bit much.

The first time I saw the message I thought it said "Aliens are attacking the..." kinda broke immersion for me :p hahah

Upvote 0
You can say the same thing for all the people demanding that RO2 be more hardcore. If TWI wants to make their new game less hardcore in order to reach a larger audience then that's their decision. Who are you to demand they stay with RO1-like gameplay? TWI isn't indebted to the RO1 community simply because they bought their game. They dont owe them anything and to be frank, anything RO1 vets receive is purely out TWI's generosity and not something they are entitled to by any means. Merely pointing out the hypocrisy in your argument.

In the end TWI makes them games, and you choose to buy them or not. Im sure they more than appreciate feedback but its their game in the end and they can make it however they like.

I disagree. I admire TWI hugely and have played all versions of RO since 2003 but RO has always been built on a foundation of realism and historical accuracy. I and many many others voted at every stage of the Make Something Unreal competition that won the devs the UT3 engine. Without that engine they would not have developed RO2. They sold I read, at last count, 400,000 copies of Ostfront which was built on the UT2.5 engne, also won in the same competition voted for by all the RO players.

I don't mind at all that they have included relaxed realism servers and think its a good idea. It will draw more people to the game which has to be good. All the old RO players would like is a Hardcore Realism mode akin to Ostfront.

There are dozens of fast paced run and gun shooters out there. I play them too but there are very few games like RO and it would be a shame to see it become one those and lose sight of the values and ideals it was started on.

I dont think we are demanding anything. We just want to see RO still be based on that same foundation it was started with years ago and continue in the same vain. Hardcore servers should be exactly that. Similar to Ostfront and the relaxed servers for those who prefer something a little faster passed etc. Hopefully some of those players will join a realism server and see what has made all us realism nuts love the game so much and stick with it all this time. There is room for everyone and don't see why there is so many arguments about it. We should stick together and support TWI and help them make the game we all want to play.

Ta

Sal

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The thing that breaks it for me is the lack of ease of use for the commander and squad leader class.

Everythings an effort! I mean when I'm playing my favourite classes, SL OR TL! I love playing rifleman just so I don't have to fight with the bloody maps...

the taking cover when trying to use the radio...
the not sure if my recon will still work if i look away from the map for 2 seconds to see if i'm about to get shot...
the effort it is to get anyone to respond to orders...
the fact that 'FOLLOW ME' is an optional order that everyone ignores so no one around me sees it when i lead a charge, alone...
the fact i'm never sure if the recon plane will actually turn up...
the fact that it's hard to click the arty markers on the map to select which one i want...
the fact i have no idea who's who on the map, where which squad is or if anyone is actually doing anything I am trying to accomplish.
the fact I have no idea who called in those arty markers so I can thank them/call them stupid...

The game breaker for me is that it's just difficult and not intuitive enough for me to enjoy commander/squad leader as much as I can... so when i CBA to fight with the interface I just play rifleman, because i freaking LOVE bolt rifles <3

Last edited:
Upvote 0
for me its when i die and snap back to reality for a few seconds.

on a side note i am so glad i had no expectations for this game coming in other than "i hope its fun" i have been enjoying the hell out of this game. its amazing how much fun this game is when you don't have any preconception of what you think this game should be as opposed to what it actually is. for you hardcore realism nuts i understand where you are coming from and i hope you get your hardcore realism mode with all the weapon sway you want or whatever else you deem unrealistic fixed but if not there are always mods i guess...

Upvote 0
And another lurker turning semi-active!

While I found several threads dealing with "what we like and what we don't like" I thought it would be interesting to bundle some issues which deal with something more specific: Breaking immersion!

This is not about "gamebreaking" mechanics or bugs, real or imaginary, more about the feel we get playing the game - or wishing we had! - and what breaks that feel.

For myself I find the following quite immersion breaking:
- Voice Radio Chatter (NOT the artillery/recon dialogue)
If you do pay attention you will notice that sometimes you hear friendly and opfor voice messages as radio chatter - as opposed to a guy yelling out next to you. Makes me feel more like I'm in a modern combat enviroment then WW2. I do feel that voice commands are underused at this stage, but that's up to the people to use them.

- The German team logo has to change
I agree that the current logo looks too much like the WW1 era Pour le Merite - a simple WW2 era Balkenkreuz as suggested in this thread would do the trick without going down the swastika road.

- Uniformity
Yes you heard me! I'm not talking about the uniforms, but the batch of clonetroopers that hatch at the start of each round. While different heights and bodysizes would be unfair in terms of target-equality, more distinguishable faces, individual flair to uniforms (maybe class related?).
A thread asking about clothes upgrades can be found here.

- Tracers
Tracers! I loved tracers in RO1 and Darkest Hour. Am I blind or have they simply vanished?

What is it that breaks the immersion, the feeling of being in the middle of a WW2 firefight, to you?

These threads, does this count?

Reactions: Witzig and SheepDip
Upvote 0
Well there are a few things but the thing I hate most (besides lockdown) is the random voice chatter that your character does. I hate when I'm trying to melee someone and he lets out that damn war cry to let the guy know I'm coming. Or when you get close and he opens his pie hole so everyone in earshot knows you are there. Edit: I think if you get within close range of the enemy, instead of talking, the player should shut up and act as if he was near a potential deadly threat. I know if I were moving in on someone I would not scream out that he was close.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
-The UAV uplink system that automatically uploads the location of the enemy to your in-helmet hud

-unlocks

-english voice acting (i've changed it, but the radio and such is still in english)

Well then dont play it.

whats with this notion of kicking down someones clubhouse and DEMANDING to be accommodated? RO was a realistic shooter aimed for a more hardcore crowd, people should have enough respect to stop trying to change everything into what they like.

You or your friends dont like a realistic shooter? Then go play one of the millions of arcade like shooters; no need to transform one of the few tactical shooters into yet another generic fps. I dont barge into CoD and force everyone to change the game to something like ARMA or RO...

Settle down... I think tripwire wanted to make a shooter appealing to a much broader audience... This game is great, so why tell people to not play it, or tell tripwire to make it more "hardcore". There are options for servers to do this...

Upvote 0
I was hoping for the 3D VOIP like RnL has and the zoom feature is passing as squinting for me.

Said already bandaging and bleed out times too short... running is a little fast and theres a little too much stamina and not a real difference from being at full stamina and almost none or no stamina at all.

People say these are trained soldiers so recoil is good yadda yadda I just want to take into account that some were drafted starving dehydrated and some were just dying.

Voices need to have choice to be native and the whole map and recon plane thing? That's a whole lotta meh should say like lots from the east or a few from the west not show up as fancy little dots on your magical map which by the way looks like a satalite image, sputnik was launched when again? 60s?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Okay, there are some things I'm definitely finding kind of problematic in terms of immersion with this game. I don't actually play it all that often, to be honest - I was really looking forward to it, but my mixed feeling on the game's features has dissuaded me from playing it nearly as much as I thought I would.

- The screen gets really busy at times. All the text and indicators flicking across the screen is almost like camouflage for enemy infantry - I can hardly see them running or taking positions when I've got a load of stuff going on and friendlies running around me.
This extends to the peripheral vision indicators as well, which are less than helpful, as I see them pop up in directions where I logically shouldn't be seeing movement, such as through walls.

- The sound work is kind of buggy. I'm sure it'll be fixed and all, but hearing the muffled hallway harmonics on the enemy voices from some distance away outside is really taking me out of the game and making it harder to locate that renegade rifleman by following his voice.

- The game modes. I think they could all be quite fun with tweaking, but there are some flaws that sour my opinion on them. Countdown, for example, feels really limiting in terms of tactics. You typically spawn really close to your enemy and are within immediate reach of the objective. There's no real urgency in taking the objective, because you're right there; the only tension at all stems from how quickly you mow down the opposing team, and that's easily achievable within the time limits.

My suggestion would be to extend the times in Countdown a bit and spawn the teams further from the objectives to give the teams more opportunity to orient themselves tactically and choose avenues of approach that they otherwise can't do right now. That way, you add urgency to cross the larger distance to the objective and to organize an effective assault as a result.
Firefight's spawn zones are somewhat buggy, as I recall spawning directly amidst an also spawning team of Germans as a lone Soviet and promptly getting mowed down before I could even react.
As for Territory, I would only introduce the concept of Lockdown for the last objectives as the round timer is reaching its end, if at all. To lose a round early because you didn't successfully lockdown the bridges in Apartments is annoying, especially when the Germans can simply flood the objectives and the Russians have little effective cover to shoot the returning defenders from.

- And that brings me to another complaint - the time limits. Rounds are too short, and while that can be adjusted, it'd be nice if the stock maps had more time to actually duke it out. Though it had its flaws, Ostfront shined in having these drawn out, costly battles that would slowly push one side back and make you actually feel like you accomplished something, even if you didn't capture every objective. In RO2, I often see rounds end quickly with no objectives captured or lost. It feels senseless to even fight for objectives, because the round will likely end before you even get to the last leg of the battle in some maps.

I understand that the shorter round times are meant to encourage fast-paced gameplay and prod campers along, but it really doesn't.

- Spawn zones and objectives in general need some work. Some spawns are easily camped by the enemy, and a team may never get out of their spawn during a round because the enemy can very easily fortify themselves just outside of it. I notice this on Gumrak sometimes - the Allied T-34s can be found engaged in stalemate duels against Panzer IVs that rolled up to the hills facing the Soviet spawn and can freely fire down on the oncoming T-34s who lack any natural terrain cover.

As for objectives, the same problem that came up in Ostfront with advancing minefields that immediately kill anyone in a forward objective when the objective behind them is re-captured rears its ugly head again.

I've also observed on maps such as Grain Elevator that the Russian defenders scarcely even bother staying in the grain elevator itself - they simply run forward and hide in cap zones and areas that they cannot retake from the Germans and try to pick them off as they leave spawn. As a result, once the Germans inevitably get past/kill the Russians in those areas, they quickly take the entire grain elevator. For gameplay purposes, I would either make those cap zones recapturable or render them inaccessible to the Russians after they've been taken to discourage Soviet players from going renegade and abandoning the main objective in favor of racking up their kill score.

Sorry for the book, but that's only the beginning, really.

Last edited:
Upvote 0