• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics New toys in action

vealck

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2009
So, how's going playing with the new toys?

So far came up with two demo combos for 6man HoE:

• Scrake: 6-pack to the face, reload, change to spikegun, empty the mag (don't reload) - this stuns the SC - two hand grenades and another 6pack to finish the job.
  • FP: 3 spikes (don't reload), two hand grenades and 6pack to the face. Probably will work sometimes with only one nade.

ZED v2 - somehow I feel that I'm holding an ugly version of Doom3's plasmagun. It even reloads the same and has similar sound.

Bile thrower - dafuq is that supposed to be :D

1 Thing I really hate about the newer Z.E.D. gun is the fact that the shock nade part won't freeze a FP, when you need it to....if it at least had enough ammo so that way you could use 2 of them in succession, you might be able to make it semi-useful...but as of now...nah. The Bile gun is fun, but cheesy, the Harpoon is easily the best of the pack, and the missles...well they're sorta meh...I mean here's how weak they are...off perk on BEGINNER mode...I couldn't kill a clot with the splash damage, and couldn't kill a gorefast with a direct body hit. So yea...meh damage on that, thought the 6 pack is pretty cool.

Upvote 0
1 Thing I really hate about the newer Z.E.D. gun is the fact that the shock nade part won't freeze a FP, when you need it to....if it at least had enough ammo so that way you could use 2 of them in succession, you might be able to make it semi-useful...but as of now...nah. The Bile gun is fun, but cheesy, the Harpoon is easily the best of the pack, and the missles...well they're sorta meh...I mean here's how weak they are...off perk on BEGINNER mode...I couldn't kill a clot with the splash damage, and couldn't kill a gorefast with a direct body hit. So yea...meh damage on that, thought the 6 pack is pretty cool.

The seeker 6 you need to stack the missiles on a target or use it as a mob softener.

Upvote 0
I really like the seeker, but i only played beginner so i could get some cash and try them all out quickly.

Seeker dosnt seen to damage Gorefast's but maybe that is part of the balance with the gun, M79 and M32 need 2 shots to kill a group of gorefests too, so probably is a balance thing. (the seeky part could be more seeky though.... i tried to see how far it seeks, and is rather pointless, maybe i have to use it more.. maybe uder duress while taking headshots it might be handy?) best thing is that it gives the Demo a weapon to get a more involved instead of just waiting before being overrun.

The Harpoon is fun, bad if you hit stalkers cause they run at you with explosives in them! Might be a good wepaon against the patriarch maybe, like the flare revolvers.
an Xtra dimension for the DEMO is always good though.

Bile sprayer.... possibly now the most powerful Medic weapon for up close for groups of trash. it really is not a ranged weapon in any way. you really have to let them get close and go flat out on the trigger seemed to work best. At first i was trying to hit things at a distane like a flamer, but it kind of the opposite, the bile kills quicker than flame, but you need them to be closer than the flamer. that is my take so far.
Shame it couldnt have been more a horzine tech style weapon than a hilly billy leaf blower adaption though, cause once the event passes, it will look odd.

Zed 2.0. Works ok, a bit boring, that said i never have had the zed 1.0, i used 1.0 maybe 3 times, so cant compare. 2.0 if you can carry that and a claymore...not sure if you can...but, yeh... cant really lose.

Upvote 0
Seeker 6 - Kind of weak, but one of the few safe weapons demo can use. It's tons of fun on top of that. Easily my favorite new weapon.

Bile Blower - Little ammo and ineffective against larger zeds. Fun for earlier waves but I sell it off for a schiednekkzztibleblgjtpb later. Plus it keeps medics from doing their jobs. A decent weapon but not really necessary.

Zed 2.0 - I really liked it until I saw it took more then one grenade to affect FPs. Probably won't be using it again.

Sealer Squealer - The ultimate pay2lose weapon. Cool idea. Terrible execution. No point to it whatsoever except to get yourself killed hitting that stalker you didn't see.

Upvote 0
The SeekerSix can be used to do the fleshpound grenade combo, which looks pretty cool and can be done as a more challenging alternative to the M32 combo. The ZED Gun MKII weighs only six blocks and can insta-zap a group of zeds, including raging scrakes; it seems only fair that it takes two shots to zap a fleshpound. Spamming alt-fire with that thing during a game is pretty fun, and I already like using it more than the first ZED Gun. Two combos I tried:

Killing Floor: SeekerSix and ZED Gun MKII - YouTube

Upvote 0
Well, 6pack is obviously very safe on its own and fun to use in combo with hand grenades. Also, it's a cheap alternative for early waves, as M32 now costs quite much. Easily the best weapon in the pack, and the only one looking somewhat like a real weapon.

Harpoon thingy is a copy of ESG from Quake 2 awakening mod. I actually suggested its introduction to KF some years ago in some now long-forgotten thread. Still, it looks fugly.

It seems that bile thrower can be actually quite useful in diversion tactics, as even raged FPs and SCs poured with it, immediately switch aggro to the bloat, if there's one in certain range.

Zed v2 used in combination with flame grenades can stun and dispatch several scrakes at once.

Upvote 0
Just decreasing the price would't make the Seeker Six an viable option. More damage on higher difficultys is needed.

The only issue there is once you buff this gun at all it can quickly become OP due to the nature of it - 6 explosive rounds and the possibility to fire at all once can be game changing if not adjusted correctly.

I suggested a price drop and leave it "as is" in regards to damage and make it an entry level demo gun. Even have it below the M79 in price, due to the fact it's like using a neutered m32.

Upvote 0
I'm not asking for anything else than to adjust it correctly.

The way it is right now, I wouldn't waste the carry slots for it, even when I get it for free. This is a pity, because the game mechanics of that weapon are kinda cool. But I haven't seen it on Sui or HoE and that's for good reason.

When a weapon is only usable on certain difficulty settings it needs to be balanced. End of story.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not asking for anything else than to adjust it correctly.

The way it is right now, I wouldn't waste the carry slots for it, even when I get it for free. This is a pity, because the game mechanics of that weapon are kinda cool. But I haven't seen it on Sui or HoE and that's for good reason.

When a weapon is only usable on certain difficulty settings it needs to be balanced. End of story.

This^

Upvote 0
It is made to soften crowds
Since 5 hits are needed for an HoE Gorefast, it's only useful on crowds that are already softened. But why not bring something with the slots that actually does damage.

My expectation about the Seeker6 was to get something like the M32, but with more scalable damage output. But right now, this thing is just ... meh.

Upvote 0
Are you trying to sell me that this thing is working as intended and needs no overhaul?

Besides what the testmap trick shooters say, I'm still waiting for someone that shows me in an actual game that this thing is worth its weight.
Yes, I am. The only weapon that needs some tweaks is the Harpoon Gun, simply because of the derpy hits.

Also, if it is that big of a deal, pair it with the M32. BAM, save some M32 rounds and you don't need to waste Hand Grenades either when taking down a FP with the M32+Seeker combo.

Upvote 0
To make it useful it only needs a couple things.

Make it so that the 6 shot blast ALWAYS kills a husk or siren with all 6 shots connecting in the chest. With the AoE being so small, the comparison of using 6 nerf balls at once vs 2 m32/79 shots for the kill. You won't damage much else around the husk or siren with the seeker.

Give it a control to disable the auto homing or make it so that you must be using the iron sights to do the homing attack. That way if I actually want to aim headshots, I can.

The seal squeal should also get a secondary That allows for early detonation of the harpoons.

The harpoons should also do a small amount of blunt damage that can decap smaller specimen (to where they flail around without their head while the explosive arms).

The explosion itself also needs to be fixed as it has very unreliable damage, sometimes doing absolutely nothing at all.

The zed 2 and blower can just...into the trash it goes. They can't be saved.

Upvote 0