• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

BF3 Launch Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazman76

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2011
UK / Stalingrad
Why was the thread discussing the BF3 launch problems closed? :( That was a pretty harmless thread, and in the OT forum too. On top of that, it was so far one of the more civil threads of late :) lol

Anyway, in case the rest of the discussion is "above board", I'll post my reply here and hope it doesn't get nerfed...

How are they going to knock anyone out when they only offer their own games?

When Steam was launched, it was for HL2 - and only Valve games for quite a while after that too :) I'm sure EA will look to entice other developers on to their platform, and I'm also sure some will happily jump aboard. They might think that "distributing" their games with Origin is slightly less abominable than having EA as a full publishing partner, and with BF3 and SW:TOR as early titles, you're already talking about a fairly large audience.

$300 million?? Wow. That's higher than a lot of blockbuster movies.

It IS (I believe) still a rumour, apparently sourced from a member of the dev team at BioWare. I believe it - EA have been desperate for a new successful MMO for years now, and haven't really managed it so far. Warhammer did OK, and is still operating - but certainly didn't manage the numbers expected from it. They bought the studio for that one, too. GW and WH are very strong brands, but SW is much bigger, and in EA's eyes, worth a larger gamble :)

Status
Not open for further replies.