• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Homefront

That completely ignores the fact that the USA has a large quantity of capped reserves which they can fall back on if export oil is interrupted.

Biggest problem is the comparison to japan and germany.
Although I don't know much about the japanese, the german history is so much different. In fact the only similarity is that they invade another country, can't think of more similarities for now.

Also I can't grasp why they would invade America (aside from the reason 'our market for this game is america').
There is a whole frikking logistic nightmare called the pacific ocean.
What logistic commander would suggest this during an oil crisis?

Let North korea invade oil producing countries nearby, creates much more power and is so much easier....

But hey, I am no writer so I don't know anything about drama:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
To sum it up: A war between Iran and Saudi Arabia leaves the United States without oil and with a collapsing economy, yet somehow Korea isn't affected by it and apparently finds enough of it to stage an invasion of the United States for more oil. That somehow makes Homefront plausible and a game with an interesting story.

So, instead of invading an oil exporter country, they invade the United States, which is one of the world's top oil consumers?? :s

I "understand" that they wanted to make North Koreans look as "bad bad baddies", but that argument is just stupid

Upvote 0
Why didn't Gandalf just fly on one of those big eagles to Mordor and drop Sauron's ring into the volcano instead of sending hobbits?

For various reasons. Like doing it by means which Sauron least likely foresees and counteracts.

And this is in this topic because?

Also, Tolkien never said that LotR is "omg, the moZt realistic and tottaly plausibul" story. Rather it is a story about courage, hope and how even the smallest and weakest can change the world if they try hard enough.

Homefront on the other hand is just a CoD clone with a one dimensional story, that despite being completely bonkers, is marketed as "realistic" and "plausible". Now if it wasn't marketed as such, I doubt many people in here would care. But as it sadly is, it's legitimate tom point out how bad the whole premise is. That the game itself is most likely going to suck is just icing on the cake.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I will get flamed for this I suppose but god, they say they wanted to do something different that you fight on American ground while being no hero, yet you're an American resistance fighter which ultimately will probably end up saving the nation anyway?

I'd be impressed if i could play as a North Korean in the single player instead, no offense to the Americans around here, it's just that i'm fed up always playing as the Allies and the "heroes" in the same sense that we never get to play germans in a ww2 fps SP.

Something that i'm happy RO2 will bring.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I will get flamed for this I suppose but god, they say they wanted to do something different that you fight on American ground while being no hero, yet you're an American resistance fighter which ultimately will probably end up saving the nation anyway?

I'd be impressed if i could play as a North Korean in the single player instead, no offense to the Americans around here, it's just that i'm fed up always playing as the Allies and the "heroes" in the same sense that we never get to play germans in a ww2 fps SP.

Something that i'm happy RO2 will bring.

Yeah well innovation apparently is too hard for some game developers. You'd think they'd be ecstatic and work so hard on a craft they love...but :\

Upvote 0
The whole thing is a missed oppertunity. The "freedom fighters" angle has tons of potential, you could make such an amazing game on that premise, i can come up with a million ideas right now just thinking about the premise, of interesting locales that have never been done in games, gameplay mechanics, the sort of missions you could make, there is just so much potential in the idea!

And it's all squandered in Homefront, who seem intent on taking this great and different idea, and mashing it into the CoD cookie cutter mold till nothing of the origional idea remains..

Ok, so we've got a world falling apart and alliances falling by the wayside, but lets not visit anything interesting and new, like Kosovo falling back into old patterns, Finland getting annexed by Russia, South Korea beeing invaded by the North, Japan beeing invaded by China, or anything interesting and new, or any of a hundred historical struggles that actually happened and which have never been put into a game before. Lets just make it about Americans as allways, yeah, that's the ticket!

And lets not do anything interesting with the gameplay either. Ohh sure, with a premise like this, they had every oppertunity to choose a setting where civilians do not have easy access to firearms, and make exciting stealth based missions, taking notes from the Thief series and games like NOLF-2, and suspensfull fighting mechanics from games like RO, where you have to face overwhelming odds to aquire even the most basic of firearms, tools to modify them, and choose how you might want to sabotage the enemy to give yourself more room to opperate in, and even risk your neck just to bring intel from one resistance group to the other.

Ohh no, why do anything like that, when you can just copy/paste the gameplay from CoD, and give everyone M4's, so real blood, and have people circle strafe tanks and fire RPG's at them from 2 meters away with no ill effects to themselves.
Who would want things like suspense, an emotional connection with the gameworld, because the gameplay mechanics seem plausible, stealth and aquisition of weapons and intel, an enemy that actually seems threatning and dangerous because you can't just gun down 500 of them in a scripted event, guerilla warfare, or anything wierd like that, who would want such a thing!?!?
No no no, lets just make a 1:1 scale CoD clone, which plays like a bad 80's "straight to video" action movie starring Reb Brown and Chuck Norris, yeah, that's the right way to do a resistance movement!

Seargant shooter master person of extreme importance, **** YEAH! Go Wolverines!!

Upvote 0
I heard they are already making an expansion. HomeFront: The Northern War.

Apparently North Korea did not find any oil in the main 48 states so they packed up and went to Alaska to obtain oil. Now you take control of an American Polar bear cavalry regiment of sergeants extreme to push back the new Asiatic threat to save your delicious wild salmon . . . . and oil . . . and freedom.

Upvote 0