• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Crysis 2 ZOMG SPECULATION!

Even though it might be a decent game, I still find the port-ness of the game a big slap in the face to PC gamers who enjoyed and supported the first game. We deserve a real graphics options menu. We deserve a developer console. The developers knew that everyone loved tweaking and modding the hell out of the first Crysis, but this time they aren't even giving us the bare minimum.

It's also a shame what they did to the suit powers. Due to the dumbed down physics in th game, you can't pull off some of the things that made you feel like a true badass in the first game. You can no longer cut down trees with bullets, or jump super high and land on a house, punch a hole in the roof and punch out an enemy below. They streamlined it to the point of making each of the powers feel less unique.

The game looks fun and I was tempted to buy it, but I'm not going to support a clearly jaded developer that cut corners on the sequel of a game that was a haven for PC tweaking fans. It's too bad because I really enjoyed the first Crysis.

I don't think jaded is the word you're looking for. Supposedly they are releasing DX11 support and advanced graphics options tomorrow.

Upvote 0
I don't think jaded is the word you're looking for. Supposedly they are releasing DX11 support and advanced graphics options tomorrow.
Nah jaded is exactly the word I'm looking for. It's no secret that Crytek was pretty disappointed with how Crysis 1 did in the market place. They essentially blamed piracy for all their problems and shortly after announced that Crysis 2 would be multiplatform.

Upvote 0
Decided to pick this up. Installation went fine and I ran the advanced graphics option program linked earlier in the thread. All I changed was removal of annoying start up logos and toggled crouch.

I watch the intro videos, and then I wait around for 2 or so minutes listening to people talk as I stare at a black screen. I can hear noises, but I can't see anything. It just didn't seem right... so I decided to look into it.

According to this video, there is actually supposed to be stuff on screen:

YouTube - (HD 1080p) Crysis 2 Leaked Beta : Intro

However, I just see a black screen.... what do I have to do to get picture?

If this doesn't work, back to Best Buy this console port goes.:mad:

Upvote 0
Nah jaded is exactly the word I'm looking for. It's no secret that Crytek was pretty disappointed with how Crysis 1 did in the market place. They essentially blamed piracy for all their problems and shortly after announced that Crysis 2 would be multiplatform.
and two weeks latter from saying that, they said they sold more than 1 million...

Upvote 0
Decided to pick this up. Installation went fine and I ran the advanced graphics option program linked earlier in the thread. All I changed was removal of annoying start up logos and toggled crouch.

I watch the intro videos, and then I wait around for 2 or so minutes listening to people talk as I stare at a black screen. I can hear noises, but I can't see anything. It just didn't seem right... so I decided to look into it.

According to this video, there is actually supposed to be stuff on screen:

YouTube - (HD 1080p) Crysis 2 Leaked Beta : Intro

However, I just see a black screen.... what do I have to do to get picture?

If this doesn't work, back to Best Buy this console port goes.:mad:
Actually this is a problem with the advanced start up program that you downloaded. I read into that thread a bit and apparently there are a number of people who used it and got a blank screen as a result.

I bet if you uninstalled it or did a fresh Crysis 2 install without the advanced start up thing you wouldn't have the problem. I would read the In Crysis forums for a fix.

Upvote 0
Looks like that was the issue. Uninstalled the game, ran crap cleaner, reinstalled. Works fine now.

On "hardcore" it runs pretty slow on my set up. A bit too slow for my liking. Runs far worse than Warhead, even with nothing going on. I am upset that I can not tweak my settings (half on "advanced", half on "hardcore") but I guess I will just deal with that. Its a shame that the settings mod has issues. I will likely turn my settings to "advanced" then to get more frame rates.

Graphically it looks just as good as Crysis Warhead overall. Lighting and some other effects seem to be nicer, but textures on objects look washed out and blurry compared Warhead.

As for the gameplay, I am not liking it so far. I've played about 40-60 minutes. These are my gameplay impressions so far:

Maps are tiny. Technically they are rather big, but you're boxed into small "fighting areas". Not a whole lot of room to maneuver and almost no freedom. The map design is very funneled and you must follow certian paths. AI seems even dumber. They where not that great in Crysis 1, but at least they seemed to react more to noise. In Crysis 2 I can kill a few guys, have them throw grenades at me, and their team mates can not notice the fighting when they are about 30 feet away.

In Crysis Warhead the enemy AI seemed to be able to detect you from a further distance.

Overall seems like a poor Crysis sequel, but a decent generic shooter overall. Reminds me a little bit of Metro 2033 for some reason. More so than previous Crysis titles. I hope it will get better.

Upvote 0
Allright, I have played it through. My verdict:

The pros:
+ Graphics look gorgeus. Even though the texture resolution is lower than in part 1, the overall image quality is much higher, due to better lighting.
+ The "body feel" is great, you feel a lot less like a camrea zipping around at chest height than in other fps.
+ The Nano Suit is better, the modes are more useful and easier to use in combat.
+ The combat can be quite tactical
+ some really awesome script sequences
+ SP campaign is long enough not to feel cheated, but short enough not to overstay it's welcome.
+ Combat feels very visceral.

the cons:
- No quicksave.
- small and restrictive levels.
- while combat can be tactical, too many encounters force you to tackle them directly.
- scripts taking away control for you, and often.
- as with all other crytek games, the combat get's less interesting as soon as the "monsters/aliens" show up, allthough admittedly, to a much lesser extent than in far cry or crysis 1.
- Cutscenes. I haven't seen such ugly FMV cutscenes in a long time.
- Level continuity. I think there isn't a single level which starts where the last one left you. The transitions are made via the afore mentioned cutscenes, which also serve as mission briefings. That really has a retro vibe, especially with the ugly cutscenes. Also, it's quite ridiculous how often Alcatraz is knocked out to awake somewhere else.
- Mute character. Not in a Gordon Freeman like good way, but rather ridiculous. For half of the game you're mistaken for someone else, get asked questions constantly and don't utter a single word, which, in several situations could have prevented the "knocked out, fade out" level end.
He does utter one very cheesy line at the very end though...

All in all, I can say the first 1/4 is a dull "interactive script move", then, the next 1/4 is actually quite enjoyable, as it offers the most freedom, and then, the last half is again more like an interactive movie.
It doesn't really feel like a crysis game, more like Halo/Killzone/CoD, and if you compare it to those franchises, it actually is a good game.
Crysis 1 and warhead are still the better games though.

I say it's a safe buy if you wait for the price to drop below 30

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah I don't get why they do the mute character crap. Or why any game does that at all. And in this game its absolutely retarded. I mean its cool that the soldiers think you're prophet and they all are scared of you and hate you, but for the guy who's friggin talking to you? Just idiotic and lazy. Pretty convenient that Gould doesn't ask any questions or demand a response until he meets you, isn't it? :rolleyes: x 1000000

YouTube - Crysis 2 - Move up go! - Sound Glitch - Mind = Blown - PC

I have this glitch now. I actually played a bit, thinking maybe a checkpoint would clear it up. But no. Better yet, I also have that Chino guy yelling "ALCATRAZ OVER HERE! PUNCH IT MAN, LETS GO!" as well among the other spam And there's no way to get rid of it it seems. And it goes over all other subtitles when it shows up of course, so I can't even read what the objective giver and other characters are saying much less HEAR them. Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaavo.

YouTube - Crysis 2 PC game-breaking bug

Even better. GHOST SCARAB SHOOTING! WHOOO!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I finished the game. Overall it was decent, but not nearly as good as Crysis 1 or Warhead.

What was good:

1. Campaign is roughly 10 hours long.
  2. Overall nice graphics.
  3. Grappling onto things was a nice addition.
  4. Weapons often have two reload animations. A nice touch.
  5. No show stopping bugs.
  6. Nice action, decent gameplay.
  7. Nice music.
What was bad:

1. Less options for the nano suit. Gameplay was essentially cloaking, moving behind cover, and then going into armor mode and slaughtering bad guys. The removable of a dedicated strength or speed mode was not a good choice.
  2. No more destruction. While the destruction was not realistic in Crysis 1 or Warhead, at least it had it.
  3. Smaller combat areas that are typically in a line. Not many approaches to attack or flank an enemy.
  4. Less stealth options, especially towards the end of the game. Too many enemies that you would not avoid or could not silently kill without alerting another.
  5. AI occasionally went stupid. Often saw aliens or humans facing a fall, not notice me, or have aliens and humans standing next to each other.
  6. Blurry washed out textures. Too much bloom. Overall I think Warhead looks better in terms of graphical realism.
  7. Weapon picking up is now cumbersome where as it used to be very efficient and easy to do.
  8. Less options for weapon customization. For example, a SCAR that has a suppressor can not have a scope. This means you have to pick up another variant.
  9. Story was rather disconnected from the first two games. Took a different approach and feel. Same old evil PMC stuff. It hardly mentions what happened on the island... I am wondering what happened to the Koreans.
  10. Aliens where rather different, aside from the infantry. No more freezing?
  11. Too many cutscenes and "press W to move forward" type stuff.
  12. Performance is not as good as Warhead. Some areas run very nicely, while others slow down a lot.
  13. No lean. Replaced with a first person cover system that does not work very well. It does not snap in and out quick enough, and only works on level objects.
  14. No prone.
  15. No quick saves.
  16. No advanced graphics options. 3rd party mods may or may not work. It is a shame since the game is rather demanding.
  17. A lot of the changes seem to have been made to better suit consoles rather than PC.
  18. I believe I saw enemy AI spawn in front of me before (at a distance). I am not 100% sure though...
  19. No more corny Korean Characters to laugh at (especially the poor voice acting).

There are a few more that I can not think of off the top of my head.

Overall, I think the game was nice. Better than your average shooter, but nothing special. As mentioned above it does not feel like a Crysis game. Gameplay and aliens seem more similar to Halo. Graphically it reminded me of FEAR 2 more than Crysis.

If you're looking for a decent SP shooter then Crysis 2 is a good choice. But if you don't have Crysis 1 or Warhead, pick those up first as they are much more enjoyable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Performance not as good as in Warhead? What?

In some areas, such as the compound near the end, I get roughly 15 or so frame rates. I do not have a frame rate counter on, but it does look very slow. There are a few other areas that cause low frame rates as well, such as the pier map towards the beginning.

On Warhead, the most demanding maps for my PC was the train and airfield map. In the train map I get 25-30 frame rates with everything maxed out. When aliens are present at the airfield with a lot of shooting, it might drop down to 20, but generally stays at 25-35.

For the most part, with "hardcore" settings at 1680x1050, I could run Crysis 2 fine. Most of the time I was getting 25-35 frame rates, give or take.

Specs:
AMD 965
GTX 260 Superclocked
4GB RAM
Vista 64bit

Upvote 0