• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

We will strengthen the doctor!

The military use FMJ becuase in the Rules of war Hollow Point ammo is banned because it is incredibly brutal ammunition and is classed as torture to the wounded. Otherwise it would most certainly be used.

It is also very effective, which is why it should be used anyways. It is not like it is more humanitarian to shoot someone with regular ammo.

Upvote 0
Yeah, that is one reason some of our special forces guys are having "stopping power" issues with the really short barreled M4's, like the ones with 10 inch barrels. You lose a lot of velocity out of a shorter barrel, that is one reason the bullpup concept is good, short weapon with a regular length barrel, except in the carbine variants.

Most people think of the 9mm as "weak"(in real life), but your average 9mm JHP is a 115 or 125 grain bullet traveling at around 1100 FPS. The .357 mag is a 125 grain JHP traveling at 1600 FPS. Bullet speed does make a big difference. That is basically the reason that rifle rounds are so devastating. A 7.62x39 bullet weight is 122 grains, but it is averaging 2400 FPS.

I did see some guys in Iraq take 3-4 9mm rounds before going down, but that is mainly because we had to use ball. I carry a Glock 19 now with hollowpoints, and 9mm in HP is fine. All my training mentions that to never expect a one shot stop with a defensive handgun, and that is how the failure drill came into practice.

This is also the biggest reason pocket pistols suck. If you have a .380 with a 2 inch barrel, you aren't getting much of anything. It is still a lot better than nothing, though.

Yeah, sorry about that. I'm a metric guy. fps and grains don't mean anything to me. Though fps is either frames per second or first person shooter :D

Upvote 0
It is also very effective, which is why it should be used anyways. It is not like it is more humanitarian to shoot someone with regular ammo.

If you make sure to kill them yeah. Pretty sure it IS more humanitarian to wound someone with FMJ then hollow-point. Not that we'd need to worry about that against Zed's though. But if we're talking RL appliction then yeah, it's so we can claim to be the "civilized" good-guys in war. That we are better, more enlightened and humanitarian, and thus win the war of ideas and opinion as well as the actual physical battle (which is especially important nowadays).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, sorry about that. I'm a metric guy. fps and grains don't mean anything to me. Though fps is either frames per second or first person shooter :D

fps is feet per second, grains, bullet weight. I think a 180 grain bullet weighs like 12 grams.

I used to be a chem major, so I can do metric too. Some conversions are:

1200 FPS= 370 mps

1600 FPS= 500 mps

2400 FPS= 740 mps

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you make sure to kill them yeah. Pretty sure it IS more humanitarian to wound someone with FMJ then hollow-point. Not that we'd need to worry about that against Zed's though. But if we're talking RL appliction then yeah, it's so we can claim to be the "civilized" good-guys in war. That we are better, more enlightened and humanitarian, and thus win the war of ideas and opinion as well as the actual physical battle (which is especially important nowadays).

Unfortunately, I and my friends that were over there would have preferred to come home alive, and use more effective weaponry. I think rules of war are mostly retarded. War sucks, there is no way to make it a good thing. It should be feared, and you should attempt to crush and destroy your enemy utterly. If you are in a position to be shooting at people, the time for being nice is over.

Upvote 0