• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

About "RO2 Dying"

I took a break from RO2 since BF3 released. Jumped back in this week and it is so refreshing.

Both games have their share of problems. Ultimately, RO2 is a PC game, dedicated to PC players, which gives it the longevity BF3 desperately lacks. Remember BF2 launched with fifteen maps, practically all of which were 64player based. BF3 launches with nine maps, only four of which are proper 64player sized. The lack of mod tools makes BF3's future distinctly bleak.

Conversely, RO2, with mods on the way, has a bright future imo. I'm also far more confident in TWI's dedication to improving their game than DICE. Not that DICE aren't great devs, I just don't believe they have much choice, being owned by EA.

Upvote 0
@Rak: Might i recommend that you gain a bit of reading comprehension ? Succesfull launch and then whatever happens afterwards .. well that happens afterwards. Red Orchestra 2 went off quite spectacularly. And gave TWI a lot of cash to play with. That people then went off to other shooters like say.. battlefield 3 or Modern warfare 3 with much bigger budgets plus others were scared off by all the bugs and others were probably expecting the 25th coming of Christ.

But that's unrelated to the launch. The launch is a specific event. It doesn't matter if it goes Titanic, that's just a tragic end to what was a beatiful venture with such a promising start...

But we're not even seeing that yet are we ? There's still plenty of time for things to be turned around.. In particular with all that lovely money that dropped into TWI's pocket.

Though something tells me looking through all this and having noted a bunch of other threads that it doesn't really matter.

It all comes down to some people overstating their own importance in terms of the greater market and then blaming TWI for it instead of just looking at other factors.. Like the huge mess of bugs, the fact that for most new players to the whole RO thing.. Ro2 would still be quite daunting and thus went off to play things like BF3 and MW3.

Yet no, clearly it must be because RO2 wasn't enough like RO1.. despite the probable fact that more people bought RO2 than ever bought RO1.

I applaud TWI's determination to stick to the course and not listening to the backseat drivers in this case.

lol are you really that delusional or taken away?

What do you not get, in order to get those millions, you have to put out a game that knows what its caters too and in doing so, is done right in the process. In this process, this means good enough flawless design that caters to any player that doesn't want to get frustrated with bugs and such. Not a launch that starts out with 10,000 people and then a month or so later is left with only 1,500 people. It is quite simple, your game isn't good, you move on, rather you played previous versions or not. As a person that played Ost, this game is just a disappointment and a lot of the realism is gone, along with added features from other games that half work lol.

The sad thing that most people don't get about TWI, is that, this is all Ramm's fault. Yeah, that is right, i'm done with you Ramm. For anyone that does not know, Ramm makes all the decisions at TWI period. Rightly so, it is his company, but at the same time.. LISTEN TO YOUR FANBASE AND DEV TEAM, NOT THE PESKY DOLLAR. It is his company, many of times, as we have seen in these forums. Decisions are made and the people that are not associated with building the game(coders/design) are left out and then blamed(Wilson for one example with a interview before the launch. Yoshi with having to back track on things that "didn't quite make the release, but will get there." Another post I saw a while back, Sasquatch in not being informed of a game design decision, as it just happened and him having no say in it.)

Ramm, if you would have stuck to your guns and upgraded what we all so loved, this would have been the "generation leap" which you so flaunted and advertised. In which would have offered the gateway away from the Battlefields and Call of Dutys. You could of had this.. but sigh. You being contempt with what you have now is unacceptable, seeing that you have to address the community in such a manner now with such a fresh release.

I saw this coming in the Friends and Family beta stage. Not only do did you alienate your core fanbase, you put a limit on who was your friends and family and decided it was time to go mainstream. People were in the beta that people barely recognized from who knows what, we can debate on who is F&F.. but at the same time. When you can't get a game during American prime time hours.. yeah.. you realize why we were upset, we barely got a game during our prime time ours. You expect us to play during beta times that were during our afternoon and lunch periods?! This is still so now, as I have seen American numbers, the lowest in the upper 200s.

In going "mainstream" you lost and/or dis-enfranchised a lot of your beloved fans. Not only is RO2 not like previous ROs.. it is a game in which most that don't read between the lines, were promised something but got something else.

More people are playing Killing Floor than RO2! Just think about that for a second...

Now that my rant is over.. believe me.. (ego on) I have done things in RO must people will never do with clan stuff and success. (this is to brag but not to brag too much, only to show my blind commitment to the game, in which I once had. also, at all those lol video games, you got a choice, play casually, or play for something more, my choice is clearly out for all.) What has been done to RO is such a shame.. a shame in which only Killing Floor 2 will be the only factor in reviving RO, as RO3 will be made by the money from that, no doubt. If their is a RO3, currently, if RO3 was to be announced now, lol their is no way you get half the 10,000 buyers you got. Everyone would assume, "ah, another buggy game from TWI." "Well, RO2 was buggy and they are moving on, I'm sure the same thing will happen to this one, why buy?" If TWI was to have a free weekend right now, it would be nothing but a embarrassment due to the bugs still in the game and performance issues.

For all of you that are clueless and not in the know with TWI, it is in a crossroads, as the work place is at a civil war. Why wouldn't it be either? A game that many have supposedly worked hard on for a long time, to be in such a state it is in now..

This is all on you John Gibson, fix it, or replace yourself, or demote yourself to a status in the company in which you won't contribute to terrible game design for anymore releases. Don't ever PISS on your fanbase again and expect the fanboys and your "Tripewire commitment to the game to save you like it did with Killiing Floor!." This is not the zombie market in which any idiot that loves zombies will flock too, this is a realistic world war two market you are in, in which can not have the turn around success you want until you give us what we were promised and expecting. In which you give us the realism that is expected from other Red Orchestra titles/mods!

At the end of it all, I want TWI to succeed.. but I have lost all faith in you John. Not only do I not want to give your company another dime. I then feel saddened because, I like a lot of people in your company. BUT, because of you.. right now, it is just in a mess.

Please restore my faith.. all of us that have lost it..

Upvote 0
So I checked the Steam Stats page after 3 weeks and the numbers came down from 2500'ish to 1000. That's nearly as much as RO1 had before the months of RO2's release. Indeed, most successfull launch ever TWI.

Temporary's post IMO explains the situation plainly. Without the core playerbase you can update the game as much as you want, it won't work. It worked with RO1 and KF because those games had a distinct character and captured a reasonably loyal fanbase, my experience with RO2 is that it's all over the place. There has been countless posts as to why it is(mine and others), so I won't repeat it again.

Too bad you've turned away the complaining %0.001 and the target audience of %99.999 is already getting bored/tired of RO2 and moving on to other games. IMO the only solution for a comeback is to give us a game mode in the true spirit of RO1, and maybe fire your current "design team".

True.

RO2 is simply to complex and hard for casual gamers and the opposite for the old rofans. This means that the games either aims at an audience that doesn't even existor that the game tries to create a whole new audience. The people that will release mods and support this game is the fans. With fans I mean exactly that fans - Meaning people that have a lot of enthusiasm and are deeply involved and interested in this game, e.i. the people on this board. That's exactly what's going to keep the game alive.

Reactions: DiedTrying
Upvote 0
Funny, didnt play the game for 2 weeks (mainly went back to Arma 2 where I can pick a decent server all day around, or just enjoy myself with one of the epic SP campaigns) but decided since I was waiting for F1 qualifying that I'd give it another go.
Serverlist loads with 5servers -100ping with players around 3-6 so I refresh again since maybe some didn't come trough.
Serverlist loads with half that

When the fack are you gonna fix this? And don't give me the fairytale about my router, I'm sure it can handle the traffic from 10 servers when it loads a counterstrike serverlist without issues.

Anyway, I gave up and uninstalled it. I'll keep an eye on the """big patch""" thread to look for improvements but it just keeps failing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Anyway, I gave up and uninstalled it. I'll keep an eye on the """big patch""" thread to look for improvements but it just keeps failing.

Ya the funny thing is over half the stuff they 'fix' in their patches arent even fixed and the bugs remain. Even though this has been said several times, I thought id be another to add my input incase the devs actually believe the rubbish they spew about this being successful, Ro2 isnt dying, it's dead.

Upvote 0
@Rak: Might i recommend that you gain a bit of reading comprehension ? Succesfull launch and then whatever happens afterwards .. well that happens afterwards.

A successful launch builds a proper fanbase and attracts more people afterwards.

What TWI did is, they kept us in the dark before the launch about the "features" and gameplay. Even Alan Wilson was reassuring us about the realism and gameplay that was not in the game, just 1.5 months from the release.

I preordered the game even the deluxe to help them all I could, I really had so much faith in TWI, because they were my favourite developers. I couldn't wait for RO with UE3 features.

In open beta I was shocked with the state of the gameplay, yet still tried to like it because I thought they would listen to us and make corrections.

Well, until Ramm dissed us as "%0.001 vocal part of community", and bragged about how many sales they made. If I had known the state of the gameplay, I wouldn't have preordered it. I would have hold off, or never bought it. I'm sure there were many like me(as the numbers suggest).

This launch prettty much insured they won't get anything like this again. Again, I wouldn't call this a success. It's not all about the money you get from a launch.

Upvote 0
A successful launch builds a proper fanbase and attracts more people afterwards.

What TWI did is, they kept us in the dark before the launch about the "features" and gameplay. Even Alan Wilson was reassuring us about the realism and gameplay that was not in the game, just 1.5 months from the release.

I preordered the game even the deluxe to help them all I could, I really had so much faith in TWI, because they were my favourite developers. I couldn't wait for RO with UE3 features.

In open beta I was shocked with the state of the gameplay, yet still tried to like it because I thought they would listen to us and make corrections.

Well, until Ramm dissed us as "%0.001 vocal part of community", and bragged about how many sales they made. If I had known the state of the gameplay, I wouldn't have preordered it. I would have hold off, or never bought it. I'm sure there were many like me(as the numbers suggest).

This launch prettty much insured they won't get anything like this again. Again, I wouldn't call this a success. It's not all about the money you get from a launch.

If RO2 doesn't appeal to the RO fans nor the casual gamers RO3 will face a quite hard time. One thing is for certain: I will think twice before I buy any upcoming RO game.

What Ramm said in his post was basicly that they will keep on making this game appeal (even if it doesn't) to the mainstream which means they sellout their old fanbase. At the same time Ramm states in his post that WE should FIX the game to our liking. He's basicly saying that it's our responsibility to make this game into what it was promised to be in the first place.

Upvote 0
this game wont survive christmas without a free weekend

this game wont survive christmas without a free weekend

sorry just checked the player count and it was around 800 players. I dont care if you are a "niche indie developer" if you have 10 thousand active players at launch and they dissapear within a month its not because of who made the game. And it sure as **** isnt because they moved onto other games.

You need to own up to your bull**** and admit you released a broken product. There is so little player base right now people in countries other than the us are having issues finding places to play , thats how bad it is. Not only is that a bad thing for current players , but what about the people who decide to buy your game now and find out that there are no servers? thats ****ed up.

The only thing that can really remedy this is a widely advertised free weekend during the week of christmas when everyone is on vacation. People left in droves because you shipped a product that was essentially broken on launch. they probly forgot about this game so now that your real beta test is finished maybe you can throw the RO community a bone here and get us some people to play with.

Upvote 0
The thing that makes me feel pretty disgusted is the price tag. TWI knew the game was going to be broken on release yet did not compromise the price. I woudnt have felt so bitter and sick if i paid less but i paid for the digital deluxe and what i got was a completly broken stats system, no weapon unlocks, and pretty awful gameplay along with a horrendous amount of bugs to scream at. That was past some might say and TWI will fix and all will be amazing and TWI will start ****ting gold cakes out bla bla. But i think the damage has been done, and its going to be very hard to recover from this.

Still i tried to pick the game up again while waiting for some other games to arrive :p but its still pretty much the same, some minor things have been fixed i had about 5mins of actual decent gameplay. But things just start going wrong like lockdowns doing my ****ing head in again and random other stuff. For me the gameplay is just wrong, the controls feel clunky as hell with the cover system getting it all wrong in places i dont want to be in, and getting stuck on random ****, then getting shot cause i cant go prone here, why cant i go prone here? Im going to get ****ing killed and your telling me i cant go prone here? thanks guys.... Well that was my retry at your game over.

Im sorry but i think im just gonna move along and forget about this cause everytime i seem to play it, it just makes me wanna scream. :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
sorry just checked the player count and it was around 800 players. I dont care if you are a "niche indie developer" if you have 10 thousand active players at launch and they dissapear within a month its not because of who made the game. And it sure as **** isnt because they moved onto other games.

You need to own up to your bull**** and admit you released a broken product. There is so little player base right now people in countries other than the us are having issues finding places to play , thats how bad it is. Not only is that a bad thing for current players , but what about the people who decide to buy your game now and find out that there are no servers? thats ****ed up.

The only thing that can really remedy this is a widely advertised free weekend during the week of christmas when everyone is on vacation. People left in droves because you shipped a product that was essentially broken on launch. they probly forgot about this game so now that your real beta test is finished maybe you can throw the RO community a bone here and get us some people to play with.

Yeah, But once SDK comes out in a month or so.. Takes ages to make maps.. Real killer right there.

Reactions: Russ Schulke
Upvote 0
Yeah, But once SDK comes out in a month or so.. Takes ages to make maps.. Real killer right there.
sdk isnt the problem , the problem is 10 thousand people lined up to buy a broken product which they dumped immediately after finding out it was broken.

the ONLY way to fix this is basically a second launch of the game , since the first launch happened in the early stages of a beta test

Last edited:
Upvote 0
While the bugs are certainly an issue for some, I think the majority left because the gameplay wasn't to their liking regardless of what side of the RnG/Realism fence they were on. I've played more buggy games that had bigger playerbases because the amount of fun was greater than the annoyances caused by bugs. That isn't the case for most people in HOS I'm afraid. Unless the gameplay issues are changed or at least made more serverside configurable, free weekends aren't going to do much IMO.

If it takes modders to do that, it's going to be awhile, 4-6 months at least.

Upvote 0
While the bugs are certainly an issue for some, I think the majority left because the gameplay wasn't to their liking regardless of what side of the RnG/Realism fence they were on. I've played more buggy games that had bigger playerbases because the amount of fun was greater than the annoyances caused by bugs. That isn't the case for most people in HOS I'm afraid. Unless the gameplay issues are changed or at least made more serverside configurable, free weekends aren't going to do much IMO.

If it takes modders to do that, it's going to be awhile, 4-6 months at least.
i have visited forums that were actively discussing this game at launch and a vast majority loved playing it but couldnt deal with the crashing and rampant bugs and stat functionality.

Also if you look at the steam stats nearly 2000 dropped within the first few days.

Upvote 0
i have visited forums that were actively discussing this game at launch and a vast majority loved playing it but couldnt deal with the crashing and rampant bugs and stat functionality.

Also if you look at the steam stats nearly 2000 dropped within the first few days.

That happens to most CoD-a-like games. Take a look here

Either Homefront, Brink and RO2 lost 80% of online players within first weeks.

However if you take a look how unique Indie games do you should be surprised.
None of them lost dramatically 80% of players in first weeks after release. What's more: Average players number isn't low, I could even say that number players is slowly raising

Too bad that I don't have RO:O statistics, but I bet player base graph would be more similar to "unique indie" games, than CoD-a-like.

Upvote 0