• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

350 Players Online ...

Andross

Sep 1, 2011
The title says it all and you have nothing to complain about.

I dont know if i have still the soundbug after todays patch (didnt found a server to play) but i guess it isnt fixed and i still cant play this game ... well, your "mainstream way" broke your own game the neck or how can you expail to us (RO Players fo years) that a BF3 is way more realistic than RO2?

How can you explain us that RO2 gives us the feeling of playing some CoD on Hardcore mode (1-2 shots down)!

How can you explain us that some old beloved features (like loosing weapon or weapon swing (??) or even a realistic recoil is COMPLETLY MISSING in RO2! That every Rifle is as good as sniper, that there is simply no need fpr a MG if you have a MP40, that you can aim as if you werent running for 500m and dont even prone!

How can you explain that there is still no Sideswap on "Territory" maps - like on the other mode, lack of competition between two teams!

How can you explain the lack of tank-balance - come on, a T-34 versus a late 42 Model of P4, why not compete a Tiger with a early 1941 T34 - they outcome would be the same!

I cant say that your game is bad, but i am really disappointed of it because its kinda RO Lite and all stuff i like here is from Red Orchestra 1 ...

While the development of this game isnt over i beg you to overthink your strategy! I beg you, please give us the game we expected, give us the hardcore simulation!!!! we simply dont want the CoD Hardcore, you wont compete with MW3 or BF3, this game will die and 350 players is a first indicator of it!

Middle of the night US, middle of the working day UK. AFAIK it's always like this, at this time - and for good reason, obviously.

How can you explain that there is still no Sideswap on "Territory" maps - like on the other mode, lack of competition between two teams!

I'm sorry, but... WHAT? Countdown is the mode that has side-swap - Territory does not, and never has. This is by design. Why are you asking this question? If you want side-swap, play Countdown. Mostly what people want after playing Territory Map A for 30 minutes, is to change to Map B - not to play the same map again for a whole 30 more minutes. In other words, side-swap requires quick rounds - Territory does not usually provide quick rounds. Territory doesn't lack competition between the teams at all, it's simply a different setup and a different style of competition.

Your other points are valid, but these two are pretty faulty to be honest.

Upvote 0
There is a drop in population but nothing that cant be put right in time

I noticed average players on before MW3 released yesterday was about 1500 @around 4pm GMT everyday

Yesterday @4pm GMT it was 800, but this is to be expected with the release of a new game.

That number increased through the night though

Numbers will go back up, the game is great just a few things to sort out, keeps us on our toes :D

Reactions: Somewhat Vague
Upvote 0

I dont know if i have still the soundbug after todays patch (didnt found a server to play) but i guess it isnt fixed and i still cant play this game ... well, your "mainstream way" broke your own game the neck or how can you expail to us (RO Players fo years) that a BF3 is way more realistic than RO2?

How can you explain us that RO2 gives us the feeling of playing some CoD on Hardcore mode (1-2 shots down)!

How can you explain us that some old beloved features (like loosing weapon or weapon swing (??) or even a realistic recoil is COMPLETLY MISSING in RO2! That every Rifle is as good as sniper, that there is simply no need fpr a MG if you have a MP40, that you can aim as if you werent running for 500m and dont even prone!

How can you explain the lack of tank-balance - come on, a T-34 versus a late 42 Model of P4, why not compete a Tiger with a early 1941 T34 - they outcome would be the same!

I cant say that your game is bad, but i am really disappointed of it because its kinda RO Lite and all stuff i like here is from Red Orchestra 1 ...

While the development of this game isnt over i beg you to overthink your strategy! I beg you, please give us the game we expected, give us the hardcore simulation!!!! we simply dont want the CoD Hardcore, you wont compete with MW3 or BF3, this game will die and 350 players is a first indicator of it!

I agree COMPLETELY with what you said.
But have no HOPE that something will change.
TRIPWIRE has made a suicidal Marketing choice:
Less realism=Greater audience

A wrong choice that faced with the great big big arcade fps.
Instead, the RIGHT CHOICE was to differentiate their product from competion and continue with the MISSION of RO1.
In this way they would have kept the loyalty of old players and attracted a stable new audience.
Now they are gradually losing both

Upvote 0
The 64 player popularity queen contest is doing to this the same as it did to ROOst. Guess the company and irresponsible server admins don't care that it pigeon holes players into a lag /frag fest and totally takes away from what this game is supposed to be and drives off folks who would otherwise enjoy what it originally offered.

Doesnt really matter to me I guess, we still play on a server thats not a lag/frag fest every Friday night and have some regulars that fill it up and have fun.

Upvote 0
I was loving the game.. playing it without any sound/fps problem but the stats and achieviments bug killed the game.. I was loving to lvl my char and to upgrade my weapon and then I see everyone at max lvl.. some days late I jumped from lvl 10 to lvl 77 in one match.. Tripwire reseted only the achieviments that I worked hard to get like the binoculars kill. After the achieviments reset I played one match and in this single match I unlocked about 10 achieviments in one time that means it still buged and they just reseted to make me quit the game.

Reactions: Needles
Upvote 0
Well considering MW3 and BF3 just came out they have a lot of competition now. Also, you have to realize that RO was created for a small niche of players (WW2 buffs) -- made even smaller by being Eastern front only (Hollywood says the US + Britain won WW2 by themselves). I highly doubt it appeals to the swarms of teenagers + young kids that play MW3.

I'm still surprised to see CS on the top of those Steam charts though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
More of the usual uproar. All of these items have been revisited ad infinatum.
We all know they can and will be fixed.

After watching and reading this stuff since release my conclusion is that hardware is the core of the problem.

Simply stated, too many people are expecting to run 2011 software with 2005 hardware. And RO2 is NOT the only game to be suffering this issue. I could list several. I cannot be understated that 2011 is a watershed year in terms of the demands new releases are making on systems, and much of the public is demanding a return to yesteryear. I'm not listening to it anymore.

I know too many people including myself who are running this game like a quarter mile fuel injected dragster. The frame rates and graphics are optimal -if you want to spend a buck and pull yourself into the 21st century. The hardware and the software ain't going back, kids. Either join the rest of the industry or stand still.

That's why the numbers ain't there -yet. Folks in the community who are running servers are already discussing pooling and coordination of resources to shake out the way too abundent field. You won't see nearly this many servers next year, but those that are left will be better utilized.

The money, will and resources are in place.

Now I know my comments are probably going to send some into spittle flying somersaults, but there it is. Gear up; we're moving forward.

Upvote 0
Well, tripwire has a real problem in this regard.

Realism doesn't have mass appeal. That's why games like Doom, Quake and Unreal had such mass appeal. That is continued today by the likes of Halo and other such crap.

If you make a realism based game you can only expect to appeal to a small crowd. The concept of making two modes, a relaxed mode, and a hardcore mode was a good idea, but the hardcore mode isn't hardcore enough for the hardcore crowd, and the relaxed crowd are more into CoD and BF3.

I don't know if tripwire is still open to player dynamic changes, or if they - at this point - are only doing bug fixes.

IMHO, the best outcome would be if all the kiddies buying the game for the relaxed mode, pay for its development, and tweaks to the realism make the game better for the rest of us.

Things I currently see as big problems:
  • Some people are able to run and gun with machine guns. I don't know how they do it, but it is utterly unrealistic. An MG should be near useless unless deployed.
  • ALL guns are too accurate at range. This is especially true for the MP40, PPSH and the MG's.
  • Advanced weapons (semi auto and auto as well as pistols) are much too common in game. These need to be paired down. They were in short supply in the field, and most soldiers had the basic bolt action rifles.
  • In many circumstances there weren't enough rifles to go around. Spawn some players unarmed and make them look for something on the ground.
  • Maps are too small. Very rarely is the marksman class really effective, because the maps don't warrant the scopes. In most cases I can be more effective with a basic bolt action or semi auto rifle, as then there is no compromise up close. The overly accurate weapons at range exacerbates this problems. On many maps you can kill people across the entire span of the map with an SMG or MG...
  • Scoring system does not encourage players to play as a team. I would remove K/D ratios from players profiles. I might even (on the hardcore setting) remove kill counts, and only show team scores. Make a bigger deal out of match win/loss ratios. War is not an individual challenge. it succeeds or fails on teamwork. Remove any method of comparing individuals against each-other.
  • Auto balance is infuriating. I often find myself in the situation of playing for a team, and really getting into the team dynamic, only to find myself switched to the other side and playing for the "enemy". In times like this I usually just quit the game.
  • Bugs bugs bugs. Sometimes when I go prone, I am crawling under the ground. Sometimes I die and don't re-spawn for no apparent reason. I have to disconnect and reconnect again.
  • Poor documentation. The beta manual linked from these forums fails to explain many basic elements of the game that are not fully explained in the individual missions. I've been playing the game for over 50 hours, and I still don't have a clue how the squad system works, how to figure out what squad I'm on, or what some of the more cryptic death icons on the top right mean (acorns, skull& cross bones, anyone?)

If the above can be fixed, maybe the core realism group can be saved. I think the mass market has already been lost to BF3 and CoD. I wouldn't even bother with any DLC until these basic elements of the game have been fixed.

Upvote 0
Realism doesn't have mass appeal. That's why games like Doom, Quake and Unreal had such mass appeal. That is continued today by the likes of Halo and other such crap.

I disagree to a point. Realism is not a mass appeal like mainstream but you can make a living off it like ArmA has. You won't grow to Activations size off it though.

RO2 is all over which is the problem. Tried to appeal to mainstream and realism and failed at both. Mainstream has gone on to play MW3 and BF3, realism went back to RO or ArmA.

Also within realism you have the "totally" realism crowd and the "fake=realism" group which argues the merits of the realism features in RO2 versus limitations that impose realistic like gameplay.

Its a bit of a mess but the game has failed to focus on where it wants to be and is suffering for it.

Upvote 0