• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

More realistic communication

fireship4

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
What about more realistic communication, i.e. one guy with radio set etc. You can also speak normally but only those near you can hear you, with your voice fading as you get further away (also directionally modelled).

Situations could arise where soldiers are on two sides of a small blockade and insulting calls and the like can be heard from each team.

Would make it sound more like a real battlefield, also calls like "grenade" would be more useful as you know that the grenade is near if the person calling is near.

Only problem i can see is with talking with your friends, and you could probably bypass it with another teamspeak program. Any way to combat that?

I have been harping on this for a long time. Have voice transmitted only to those around you (for BOTH teams) and have one key for yell and one for whisper to prevent scratchy sounds for the mic. Radio could only work if there was more than one and then anyone talking within the radius could be heard on the other radio (my ideal voice com).

Basically I really really want RO to have truely localized voice com so that when you hit the talk key it just turns your mic on (does NOT drown out other sounds) and when you speak your voice is played in world from your avitars head. Do that and you will have one of the best team work games ever.

Upvote 0
Actually this is modeled...in a way. Not exactly how you'ld like but.... If you notice when the voice command on the keyboard is used you can hear others around you, BUT, you can also read it in text (since not everyone speaks German or Russian).
What could be implemented is something similar is read in text, where only those near you can read what you say.
Although those using teamspeak could work around that.

Upvote 0
fireship4 said:
What about more realistic communication, i.e. one guy with radio set etc. You can also speak normally but only those near you can hear you, with your voice fading as you get further away (also directionally modelled).

Situations could arise where soldiers are on two sides of a small blockade and insulting calls and the like can be heard from each team.

Would make it sound more like a real battlefield, also calls like "grenade" would be more useful as you know that the grenade is near if the person calling is near.

Only problem i can see is with talking with your friends, and you could probably bypass it with another teamspeak program. Any way to combat that?

CoD1/2's inbuilt voice commands work this way (not sure about directional tho) so it shouldn't be too difficult to work the mic in the same way.

I don't think there is any possible way to block TS/Ventrilo usage though unless you are at a LAN.

Upvote 0
we're finaly seeing some use of the voice comm's on certen servers (mainly dbduk for me) in support of teamplay on the pub's and now you want to limit that?

i dont know, it might be realistic but i think it will be mainly counter prodcutive.

and as far as i know the "granade" voice command ingame is allready local, only for your friends (and enemy's) close to you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
runners?
the avarge match has only 12 ppl on both sides! (yes there are exeptions)
thats basicly just a small squad.
besides that fackt you cant spare a runner most of the time, a squad dusnt really use runners internaly.

at the moment its allready hard enough figuring out what the other members of your team are doing when it is on a wide map, the battle lines are extreamly fluid in most public games.
so most of the time you wont even know where to send the runners.

besides that, who am i to tell somebody to run over somewhere with a message, most would tell you to go do it your bloody self most likely.

so how on EARTH would all that make communications eazyer?
and ghosting atleast on the DBDUK server isnt a issue as you get the black screen mod there.

beside that it will be hell to set up a overall stratagie for you team.
you'll have to shout it out right after the match starts, and hope your the only one with a idea, as there is no time to discuss it.
and if you want to change it, you basicly cant,
or you need to wait in spawn and tell everybody that spawns untill they've all heard or something.

we might see a increase in voicecom use in bunches of 2's and 3's but any overall stratagie just goes completely out the window.
and fighting out with atleast a basis battle plan seems a lot more unrealistic then the current voice com's
it think overall it would be a big step backwards for teamplay.

Upvote 0
While it is realistic it is limiting because you don't have body language to go with it, ie you can't use hand symbols to share info from far away or when trying to be quiet around the enemy, or use hand symbols to give orders. So by doing so we limit ourselves even more than the war soldiers did at the time.

OTOH, wouldn't it be cool to come across a few players on the other team who you can hear talking, and sneak up on them and nade them or something. But firstly you would listen to hear what their tactics are. :)

Upvote 0
which means overhearing their communications will be unrealistic as chances are you wouldnt have been able to understand a single word of it had it been WW2. (althou things like 'granata' would become clear pretty quickly i think :D )

and no i dont think using the lack of hand signals as a argument against this would be nitpicking.
the distances hand signals were effective in WW2 far exceeds the visual range of the mod in most levels.
while in game you can just make out a siluet (or however you spell that) on the horizon at that distance
IRL would have been able to clearly distingus features and read hand signals.

a point system wont work either, as there is first no way of knowing if anybody is even wachting you (unlike IRL where you can make eye contact ect) and then it would still be almost impossible to to see where someone is pointing unless your really close, IRL that would be a lot eazyer, even at a distance (3d vision and all, as wel as beter resolution)
a alternative would be some sort of highlight system... but that would kill the immersion for me when windows or building or streets start to light up when someone points at them or a big red arrow apears in mid air.

comm's as they are now are problably a lot eazyer to use then communication in ww2,
but with your sugestion it becomes infinatly more difficult to communicate then it ever was in WW2.
too me option 1 is definitely the lesser evil.

also what would you do about teamsay and normal chat, if voice becomes restricted people will all just revert to those.
or do you want to make that distance related aswell?
that would just kill the whole social aspect of the game completely.
when i play i want to have fun, make some friends, maybe some 'enemys' (in the lightest sence of the word) , have a few good laughs ect.
and i doubt im the only one. please dont take that away from us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0