• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
nelsonbay.jpg

Well I could snipe Heidi off her mountainside with that kind of night vision.

I'm thinking in the debris-strewn streets of Stalingrad, nighttime should be a little more foreboding, so I'd also vote to can the blue filter treatment.

One of the best war movies I can think of portraying a night attack would be Hell is for Heroes. In black & white, but the approach through the minefield towards the German pillbox, and Cpl. Henshaw's death as his M2 flamethrower explodes won't be forgotten. Just some stills:

Smine_in_HifH_movie.jpg

James_Coburn_as_Henshaw_in_HifH_movie.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I already had the flare idea a couple of months ago:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=42968
but it did not attract as many positive responses as did yours :).
Would be really awesome if we could fight at night, have flares as signals, maybe even use the flares as objetcs to be picked up. Imagine the recon plane dropping a red flare which is actually the recon report ready to be evaluated by the com.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One thing that might help sort out the gamma tweaking problem is that in a nightmap the engine would make everything high in contrast. Darks more dark and lit areas (and models too) more visible. The middle contrast area would then get narrow -> playing with gamma has little effect. This would also make the nightmaps a bit more realistic as moonlight (or flares, or actually every possible light source) are a lot more point light type compared to sunlight during day time. As the light source gets smaller in size, the shadows get tighter, and the contrast increases.. ofc the players near surroundings would need to be lit in an unrealistic manner to maintain some level of gameplay. Very hard to implement though.

And my 2 cents on the flares is that it would be cool to have those for the tank commanders and squad leaders (heroes too?). Flare guns were around that time too afaik.. atleast the flare gun I used in service looked like something straight outta WW2 lol.. would be neat if the tank commander could pop out from the hatch and fire a flare to help finding enemy tanks and to help out the advancing infantry.

Also, I wish that squad leaders atleast get the option to choose tracer bullets for their smgs to direct their troops fire and to pin point enemies.

Reactions: barakas
Upvote 0
I already had the flare idea a couple of months ago:
[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=42968[/URL]
but it did not attract as many positive responses as did yours :).
Would be really awesome if we could fight at night, have flares as signals, maybe even use the flares as objetcs to be picked up. Imagine the recon plane dropping a red flare which is actually the recon report ready to be evaluated by the com.

This was one of the few questions I posted when the original RO came out. Back then someone said that the game engine could not handle it. I really know nothing about game engines or programs etc. I just thought that it would add an immersion effect that I have never seen before. I was thinking that the flares would be constantly shot up during the map so that you have lighted areas for a few minutes then things go dark for a while until another flare is shot up. Could be automatic on the front lines...

Upvote 0
This was one of the few questions I posted when the original RO came out. Back then someone said that the game engine could not handle it. I really know nothing about game engines or programs etc. I just thought that it would add an immersion effect that I have never seen before. I was thinking that the flares would be constantly shot up during the map so that you have lighted areas for a few minutes then things go dark for a while until another flare is shot up. Could be automatic on the front lines...

I have no doubt some modders will do this for ROHOS. It shouldn't be a problem to the U3 engine.

And that idea of flares shot in intervals (automatically or not) is really cool. Even if it won't be a big part of the maps tactic, it would totally add to the immersion.

Upvote 0

Well, I can only speak from the experiences i have had so far with the UT3 engine and say that in BiA Hells Autobahn (UT3) which is out for quiet a while, light and night are pretty well done already. It is by no means a very good comparison but it shows what can and has been done already.

http://www.games32.com/web4/games_catalog/games/Brothers-In-Arms-Hells-Highway-PC/images/43628.jpg

http://www.games32.com/web4/games_catalog/games/Brothers-In-Arms-Hells-Highway-PC/images/43626.jpg

Those are screenshots from a night "level" or mission which i found had a very nice athmosphere. There were unfortunately no flares, but the burning vehicle wrecks kept illuminating the area and created an interesting surrounding.

I think the frontline auto flare idea is not bad although, I would personally prefere to have a flare gun attached to key figures/classes in game.
It would be way more brutal if the Squad Leader could be "asleep"/not paying proper attention and therewith not launch a flare while the enemy approaches and in his turn suprises the careless foes. Also, alarm posts on defence could be equipped with flares guns, or specific frontline foxholes so that anyone being in there would be able to alert his comerades.
Further on how about, different colours of flares?
One could call for retreat, attack, theoretically even rescue oneself from an impeding friendly fire attack by air or land.

Upvote 0
GE, thanks for linking these BIA screenshots (and therefore good U3 point).

I think having pistol flares, or more likely mortar starshells going off at automatic and random intervals is what makes HerrPorsche's suggestion more nuanced, because it could create level tension for both combatant sides. In addition to the random (scripted) flares, there could be random tripwire flares also (no pun intended), placed throughout the map, in addition to allowing a commander the capability of firing a limited number of his own flares, or to be able to call them in as an artillery (ammo choice) type mission.

About colored flares, and a suggestion I made to incorporate signalling capability into the game before, these were often referred to also "lights" (like Very lights), etc., and are not the same as a hanging parachute flare.

Upvote 0
Well, I can only speak from the experiences i have had so far with the UT3 engine and say that in BiA Hells Autobahn (UT3) which is out for quiet a while, light and night are pretty well done already. It is by no means a very good comparison but it shows what can and has been done already.

http://www.games32.com/web4/games_catalog/games/Brothers-In-Arms-Hells-Highway-PC/images/43628.jpg

http://www.games32.com/web4/games_catalog/games/Brothers-In-Arms-Hells-Highway-PC/images/43626.jpg

Those are screenshots from a night "level" or mission which i found had a very nice athmosphere. There were unfortunately no flares, but the burning vehicle wrecks kept illuminating the area and created an interesting surrounding.

I think the frontline auto flare idea is not bad although, I would personally prefere to have a flare gun attached to key figures/classes in game.
It would be way more brutal if the Squad Leader could be "asleep"/not paying proper attention and therewith not launch a flare while the enemy approaches and in his turn suprises the careless foes. Also, alarm posts on defence could be equipped with flares guns, or specific frontline foxholes so that anyone being in there would be able to alert his comerades.
Further on how about, different colours of flares?
One could call for retreat, attack, theoretically even rescue oneself from an impeding friendly fire attack by air or land.

Good idea, although i don't know how realistic it is to have a flare gun in foxholes. But it sounds very cool, to be in the dark, seeing an red flare on your left side, signaling an attack there.

Upvote 0
In some ways it would be awesome! to have it correctly done.. night maps are always a pain due config tweaking. Thats why they are often not played. Some people have their gamma turned on 2378642374 which actually makes it look like the map is hovering next to the fre*king sun..

Which makes the people who have a default config complain: "where did you shot me from hacker.. etc"

Upvote 0
Well KF-Farm (Night time hedgehog) works well. If the seeing distance is increased I can see why it would be so impossible to do night maps. Though, what game engine was KF made for?

KF is Unreal Engine 2.5 according to its official Moddb entry. Yup, and you re quite right, dark levels in KF are nicely illuminated by flame throwers or even the lights attached to your weapons.

Upvote 0