• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Game 2 is gonna have to be one hell of a game

World War 2 is overdone, seriously overdone. I bet one reason CoD4 was such a success was because it was not WW2 again. Too bad CoD5 is not up to the standard of CoD4, because I bet that even if it was, it would be less successful.

I'm all for a WW2 operation flashpoint rip-off. Because the diversity in weapons and small unit tactics people here drool about is barely plays any role in any of the WW2 FPS (RO included).

But since game 2 is going to be on UE3 any WW2 game would be a RO'ish game. While I would play that, I actually hope for something else. And goddamn it. Imagine being a dev and having to work on the same scenario since 2002, I would puke.

Upvote 0
Ok, here is how I see this:

Game 2 will be about WW2, there is no question about it. They aren't going to throw away years of research and knowledge of that area and they aren't going to risk loosing their fan base.

The reason why we haven't heard anything for so long is that they want to include single player to the game, which is proving to be more difficult than expected. If you want to make a good single player you need to hire new people like writers and AI coders. It also takes a lot more time to make a single player game, you need to create so much more content compared to multiplayer.

It seems to me that Tripwire has taken too big step for trying to make a single player game. Their fan base isn't even interested on single player(or at least I'm not :) ), so I don't see what was their motive.

If they would have just made RO2 with new engine and multiplayer only, the game would have been in stores by now. But they chose to move to the big boys league, which means we get the game in 1-2 years later and the multiplayer might not even be that great because they put so much effort to single player, which isn't that good either compared to the other single player games which have been developed by people with much more experience and resources on that area.

I hope this isn't the case though...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
RO has been out more than 2 1/2 years, of course some people are going to leave out of boredom. I for one would be very happy with a beefed up port of Ostfront to UE3. I also know some people that think graphics are one of the more important aspects of the game (it immerses them more than the gameplay) and don't care for RO because of that.

But yeah, if it ends up being a beefed up port of Ostfront, it would be nice if there were some additions :)

Upvote 0
I think that RO on UE3 is very likely, and the timeline would fit--it takes a company with a staff of 150 something like 3-4 years to turn out a cutting edge game with all new content (pulling those numbers out of my heinie), so a company with 10 people will have to do much less over a longer period of time.

Of course, my personal hope is that it's 1) the Sino-Japanese War in the 20s and 30s (tiny tanks, hordes of infantry, and exotic locales), or in second place, 2) The Korean War.

I'd also like to see each player be able to be squad commander in charge of 20 AI so we can have online battles of hundreds of combatants (50 human players x 20 AI each=1000 combatants!), but that ain't happening until roughly the year 3000.

Upvote 0
As I said.

Modern combat has modern politics behind it. I don't want to be reminded about them, nor do I want to get the impression that I'm being coerced into thinking x = bad.

Recent conflicts are absurd, and the politics behind them stink.
The politics of wars or battles in the past is inconsequential.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd like to see a fictional war between the DDR and West Germany. The game could ship with those two factions and since such a war would have been ww3 anyways modders would be free to include almost any other nation in their mods (the US, France, the Brits, Russians of course, ...).

Modern combat games have the problem that they are portraying a current conflict and by portraying it wrong they shape an image of the conflict that influences opinions on it in a way they shouldn't.
A fictional war scenario taking place in a political constellation that doesn't exist like that anymore wouldn't have to suffer from this.

The equipment of the DDR and the BRD differs enough to make the factions clearly distinguishable and the countries are right next to each-other so the attacking vs defending mechanism of RO would work well for both sides.

Upvote 0
I'd like to see a fictional war between the DDR and West Germany. The game could ship with those two factions and since such a war would have been ww3 anyways modders would be free to include almost any other nation in their mods (the US, France, the Brits, Russians of course, ...).

Modern combat games have the problem that they are portraying a current conflict and by portraying it wrong they shape an image of the conflict that influences opinions on it in a way they shouldn't.
A fictional war scenario taking place in a political constellation that doesn't exist like that anymore wouldn't have to suffer from this.

The equipment of the DDR and the BRD differs enough to make the factions clearly distinguishable and the countries are right next to each-other so the attacking vs defending mechanism of RO would work well for both sides.

I hate you now because this is an excellent idea and I know it is not going to happen.

I hope it is this or Korean War but I think it will be WWII again which would be ok but not the best choice imo

Upvote 0