• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Converting from RO to RO2

Six_Ten

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2006
aztecmod.darkesthourgame.com
* NOTE: This thread will be a work in progress, I'm posting here now just to organize my thoughts. I'm busy on other stuff but I've been receiveing requests for help and it makes sense to put it out for everyone to benefit.

Please don't post "this is a good idea" type empty posts. We know its a good idea. Don't clutter the thread.

Conversion-specific stuff only please.

/////////////////////////////////

Q said:
When you say i need to remove "ALL RO specific code stuff" and create a stripped down version of the map, do you mean every single thing that does not look like a line in the SDK?

What about the icons for sound and lighting etc.

The idea is that the code for RO2 is different. Get rid of anything that uses RO code. Take out anything that has the prefix RO. For example, RO_VehicleFactory. Delete it.

Levelinfo, Pathnodes, Roles and RoleInfo, AssaultPath, AIScript, etc. have to be deleted.

Sound and lighting are okay to leave in, though you'll have to reassign the .wav files to the sound actors. In Ogledow I left the sound nodes in at first just so I knew where to put their replacements. The new system is more powerful and versatile, so I recommend replacing them eventually.

Static meshes and BSP are fine as well.

Q said:
Moving on, so when you imported into the RO2 SDK, were you just importing the myLevel.t3d file that came from the UT3converter ? Its the only file that has an amount of data.

When you run the convertor the instructions dialog pops up with tabs full of info that walk you through step by step what you need to import and how to do it.

Is there a faster way to delete the RO1 stuff from the map. Or is that the tedious part you were talking about.

I feel like Pacman having to chomp up all those path node fruit icons on the map!

Did you also delete the spawn and cap points. I am assuming you do so I am doing so. Just leaving light and sound.

What about emitters ? Keep them?

Last edited:
Reactions: Frostedfire
Upvote 0
I guess they are RO specific. So delete.
lol that select all certainly saved hunting those path node buggers.
I redid a map in about five minutes, took an hour hunting all the stuff earleir today.

Now my RO2 SDK won't open !

So the UT3converter, won't extract the textures so I have to manually export them using the RO1SDK. Im doing sometihng wrong here as I can only export textures in a format that the RO2SDK does not want to import. (*.usx, *.utx and *.dds)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So the UT3converter, won't extract the textures so I have to manually export them using the RO1SDK.

Yep.

Im doing sometihng wrong here as I can only export textures in a format that the RO2SDK does not want to import. (*.usx, *.utx and *.dds)

Why do you think you're doing something wrong? The format you export is .dds.

Go to Nvidia site and get their texture tools then you can convert to tga.

You'll want the dds converter plugin for your image program.

Also their normal map plugin is very useful.

Upvote 0
Lucky I know my way around Photoshop enough to run batch processes as there were about 140 textures that I needed to convert to TGA.

I got the textures and there were no alpha issues. The static mesh loaded fine. I didn't do the sound as I am still just messing around could that have caused my next problem.

The UDK I am using crashes when I try to do the level import. Just sits there "not responding' until i hit close.

Could it be because i skipped the sounds ?

EDIT - just tried to export the sound, similar issue with textures in that the UDK don't like the file format.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Made some progress. I now have all the geo but nothing else. Also i noticed that all the Materials have blank images, is that correct. When I double click on a material it shows the sample texture so there is some relationship between the material and the texture but it won't display.

Interesting I tried a few runs and was able to get stuff like path nodes, player start points and zone info to import into the RO2 SDK without a problem. Whether they do anything is another question.

Any tips on what I should do next?

Upvote 0
So the UT3converter, won't extract the textures so I have to manually export them using the RO1SDK. Im doing sometihng wrong here as I can only export textures in a format that the RO2SDK does not want to import. (*.usx, *.utx and *.dds)

Not that I'm a fan of ported maps but wouldn't it be much easier to use the RO HOS materials. Better quality and less work imo.

Upvote 0