• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] IL2 sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Press Release/Video

Yeah I think those specs seem somewhat daunting to me. Given the fact that usually minimum/recommended requirements tend to be understated these days ...

The only thing I'm concerned with is the graphics card. They recommend a 1 GB card and I'm not sure if my single GTX 260 896 MB card will be able to provide enough UMPH for this game.

Upvote 0
They do recommend some pretty high end CPUs.

Sure it would probably run best on a brand new Sandy Bridge, but it looks from what they spec as 'recommended' that a Phenom II X4 is going to fit the bill. That's not too 'high end' these days. I'm going to try it with my Ph.IIx3 720. I'm planning on upgrading to a HD6850 within a few months here, so I should be OK there....at least for starters. Worst case I spend another 150 or so on a faster quad-core AM3 chip.

Will there be a demo? I'd like to see how it runs on my PC.

Not sure there yet, hopefully there will be one...especially on a Steam version of the game. That's about as easy as it gets for demos.

Upvote 0
They do recommend some pretty high end CPUs.

Will there be a demo? I'd like to see how it runs on my PC.

The game is pretty heavy on the physics and calculation side, but indeed we havnt heard anything about a demo version yet. I suppose the problem is located in that it is an open-world game, hence it could be a technical limitation to develop a demo.

Think GTA demo , invisible barriers..?

Or you could do a timed demo, say you get 30 minutes of playtime with the full game.

Upvote 0
The game is pretty heavy on the physics and calculation side, but indeed we havnt heard anything about a demo version yet. I suppose the problem is located in that it is an open-world game, hence it could be a technical limitation to develop a demo.

Think GTA demo , invisible barriers..?

Or you could do a timed demo, say you get 30 minutes of playtime with the full game.

Just put a fraction of the flyable planes, missions, and only one map... unless there only is one big map in the game. I know 1946 had a lot, but I guess that was for the different theaters.

Upvote 0
Unless they made the entire area of conflict into one huge map - aka you could fly from London to Paris to Brussels to Arnhem etc in one go - I doubt that's an issue.

Thats the deal, its one gigant map for the BoB instance of IL2.
---
Brand new setting – The battle will take place on a large area spanning London and southern England in the north, to Northern France and Belgium in the south. The huge map will contain thousands of historical cities, towns, roads, airfields, radar stations, ports, and industrial areas – all located exactly where they were in 1940.

Upvote 0
I've always loved the concept of the Defiant - shame it was so truely awful in practice though.

I can't wait for an excuse to break out all my flight sim gear again. Been sitting gathering dust for too long. X52pro HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals and Track IR 5 ftw :D
IIRC the Japanese had a plane with a similar concept... in this case though it had forward firing guns as well and the top gun was fixed (1 pilot,no separate gunner) and it worked quite well.

Upvote 0
I hope this game is a success, but I'm not sure how much different it will be than the last IL2. It seems like a minor graphical update with more limitations on theaters. I'm not sure what it would take for me to buy this--maybe a first person campaign so you spend time living a life on the ground as well as in the air? When you parachute out in enemy territory you can land and have an abbreviated fight your way back with the Resistance to your home base, either by stealing a military or civilian plane or just sneaking back? I guess just leaving it as neat flight sim isn't enough for me anymore.

Upvote 0
Well... the damage model is drastically improved and the flight model as well (not as drastically though as they said... mostly low speed handling)

Plus this'll undoubtedly become the next IL-2 (which has been going for what... 10 years now?... and still gets 400+ people online at peak hours) so... if you're into aerial WW2 combat and have the rig to run it, I don't see why you wouldn't buy it. Way, WAY better looking ground vehicles too... which is nice. Not to mention the nicer cockpits and better animations for bailing out etc.

All the other planes will be added in I'm sure over the years just as they were with IL-2:Sturmovik. Still, I will definitely miss my 190 :(.

Upvote 0