• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Xienen about Killing floor 2

[Citation needed]

[Citation needed]

Guys, seriously. Posting stuff like that is like posting we got a gazillion dollareuros from the MSU contest.

says the guy who could provide the factual information....how about less sarcasm and maybe helping us by providing the correct info, assuming you know it? :rolleyes:

anyway it's been talked about for years on these forums and throughout various news stories.....if you really want some citations i'll go waste around 15 minutes later when i have the time to search and then provide said citations :cool: TW won some engine licenses and some cash. i couldn't remember if it was 1 or 2 licenses for UE2. now that YoYo mentioned it, i believe he is correct that it was just the one UE2 license that was won for ROOST and TW had to get another for KF.

if we're both so "wrong", would you care to enlighten us instead of mocking us? kthnxbai :p

Upvote 0
says the guy who could provide the factual information....how about less sarcasm and maybe helping us by providing the correct info, assuming you know it? :rolleyes:

anyway it's been talked about for years on these forums and throughout various news stories.....if you really want some citations i'll go waste around 15 minutes later when i have the time to search and then provide said citations :cool: TW won some engine licenses and some cash. i couldn't remember if it was 1 or 2 licenses for UE2. now that YoYo mentioned it, i believe he is correct that it was just the one UE2 license that was won for ROOST and TW had to get another for KF.

if we're both so "wrong", would you care to enlighten us instead of mocking us? kthnxbai :p

Lol when I meant by license I just meant by the Source Code, well thats what Xienen said anyways.

Upvote 0
See, that wasn't too hard :). Yes, we won a UE2.5 and a UE3 license. Not 2 or 3. Just wanted to see where that number came from and it was cold, hard speculation again.

How much the additional license was, is between Epic and Tripwire. I am 100% certain that none of the two companies ever shared that information.

YoYo, Xienen gave you a number, but that was more the usual guesstimate on how much it could be these days. I am pretty sure you do realize that devs usually do not give away confidential business information to people on steam :p

Upvote 0
See, that wasn't too hard :). Yes, we won a UE2.5 and a UE3 license. Not 2 or 3. Just wanted to see where that number came from and it was cold, hard speculation again.

How much the additional license was, is between Epic and Tripwire. I am 100% certain that none of the two companies ever shared that information.

YoYo, Xienen gave you a number, but that was more the usual guesstimate on how much it could be these days. I am pretty sure you do realize that devs usually do not give away confidential business information to people on steam :p

Guesstimate or not, it satisfies me.

Upvote 0
To be honest, I don't want a KF2 to be released for at least 2 more years.
As long as the game's still updated ...

Well, looking at how long games generally take to be developed, Id say its gonna take more than 2 years even if they started working on it right now. Depending how much data they can use from the first one.

And you cant just update this game forever, one new gun every year is not gonna keep the fanbase occupied for long, personally I havent been playing KF in months just because Ive seen all the maps and the waves are always the same.

A sequel has a lot of potential, looking at UE3 it seems like they could throw hundreds of specimens in the map at the same time without causing too much lag, and Im assuming the exploitability of maps would decrease a lot too if the specimens would have better abilities of reaching places.

Upvote 0
Only thing I could think of in terms of a sequel would be a more British based inventory of weapons (I do wonder where exactly a British squaddie would find a SCAR for example...), a few vehicles perhaps, and a story mode... if you expanded further into more of an open world game.. well, thats a different kettle of fish. :p

Thing is, those aren't things that can't be done with the current engine. Yes, UE3 (or even CryEngine3 dare I suggest it.. Suspect i'll get slapped for that one!) would make the game look even more smexy, but a new engine ain't really needed i think.

If there was to be a sequel, releasing it now wouldn't be advisable, as its still very alive and well from what I can see - having only bought the game last week. Lack of money, or i'd have bought the thing on release! :p. Now, end of 2011, or 2012 (Oh, that would be great to release then..) to begin developing it? Perhaps a tad more releastic.

Sorry for the essay! :D

Upvote 0
Yes, I'd like to see KF have a couple more "big" updates for a while and then I'd like to start hearing about KF2 once the KF1 playerbase dies a bit. If I'm not mistaken, something similar happened with RO1 - everyone loved it at the time and the playerbase died down after a long and updated life and now RO2 is announced, pretty much everyone from RO1's glory days and even newbies are flocking in to see a game that would probably have an even longer life.

Upvote 0
Only thing I could think of in terms of a sequel would be a more British based inventory of weapons (I do wonder where exactly a British squaddie would find a SCAR for example...), a few vehicles perhaps, and a story mode... if you expanded further into more of an open world game.. well, thats a different kettle of fish. :p

Thing is, those aren't things that can't be done with the current engine. Yes, UE3 (or even CryEngine3 dare I suggest it.. Suspect i'll get slapped for that one!) would make the game look even more smexy, but a new engine ain't really needed i think.

If there was to be a sequel, releasing it now wouldn't be advisable, as its still very alive and well from what I can see - having only bought the game last week. Lack of money, or i'd have bought the thing on release! :p. Now, end of 2011, or 2012 (Oh, that would be great to release then..) to begin developing it? Perhaps a tad more releastic.

Sorry for the essay! :D

Lol everything is possible with the current engine, and UE3 is completely different than UE2.5. It supports way more features such as full post processing, large environments that support an incredible polygon count, and best of all bump mapping!

Upvote 0
Lol everything is possible with the current engine, and UE3 is completely different than UE2.5. It supports way more features such as full post processing, large environments that support an incredible polygon count, and best of all bump mapping!

Yes, i'm aware of its advances in tech over 2.5, i've played with the UDK for a while now, and how good it is - only need to look at Depth, or Primal Carnage to see that.

Graphically, it gives a boost certainly. At any rate, i'm more interested in gameplay over graphics, generally. (...He says, having suggested CryEngine3 as a possible engine, which is somewhat used as the epitome of graphical excellence. :p)

Upvote 0
Yes, i'm aware of its advances in tech over 2.5, i've played with the UDK for a while now, and how good it is - only need to look at Depth, or Primal Carnage to see that.

Graphically, it gives a boost certainly. At any rate, i'm more interested in gameplay over graphics, generally. (...He says, having suggested CryEngine3 as a possible engine, which is somewhat used as the epitome of graphical excellence. :p)

With the new engine, Killing Floor could render over 320 specimens at one time rather than 32, maybe. Also It is possible that the gameplay may signifficantly increase some what.

Upvote 0
What about an expansion pack for KF? That way, it will still contain the players from KF as well as the maps, mods, Mutators etc. Yet TWI can charge a substantial amount (I can say substantial amount when talking about TWI without hesitation b/c so far their practices have been more than fair and I, and I'm assuming as well as plenty of KF fans would gladly pay for an expansion pack) for it and make a copious amount of people happy. Not only would it extend KF for a longer duration if its successful we can look forward to more expansion packs, similar to character packs for KF.

The problem with expansion packs is that they split the community between those that pay (and can access the new content) and those that don't, thereby limiting the amount of people one can play with regardless of what "side" you're on. KF's community simply isn't big enough for a split like that imo. (Then again, imo a split like that is never ok until you have a TF2/L4D-sized community, where even splitting it in half you'd still have occupied servers available 24/7 regardless of region)

Upvote 0
Xienen told me himself on steam.

Hey now, don't go throwing me under a non-existent bus! I only speculated on the cost estimate of buying such a license, as schneidzekk said. I know I never said how much was paid for the UE2.5 Engine license for KF, because I have no idea how much Tripwire paid :p

Upvote 0
Hey now, don't go throwing me under a non-existent bus! I only speculated on the cost estimate of buying such a license, as schneidzekk said. I know I never said how much was paid for the UE2.5 Engine license for KF, because I have no idea how much Tripwire paid :p

That information is more guarded than the Colonels 7 Herbs and Spices.

Reactions: No Glory
Upvote 0
With the new engine, Killing Floor could render over 320 specimens at one time rather than 32, maybe. Also It is possible that the gameplay may signifficantly increase some what.

Didn't say it wouldn't improve the gameplay, just that graphics would certainly increase. ;) Although, the thought of over 320 Zeds to fight off is quite an interesting thought.

Upvote 0
Didn't say it wouldn't improve the gameplay, just that graphics would certainly increase. ;) Although, the thought of over 320 Zeds to fight off is quite an interesting thought.

If all TWI did was port KF over to UE3, it would look way better and most likely support many new features that were hard to do in the current engine. However if they made a new game, a sequel if you will, on UE3 I guarantee the gameplay as well as graphics will signifficantly improve.

Upvote 0
If all TWI did was port KF over to UE3, it would look way better and most likely support many new features that were hard to do in the current engine. However if they made a new game, a sequel if you will, on UE3 I guarantee the gameplay as well as graphics will signifficantly improve.

Absolutely! We don't just do things a little better the next go round, as you'll see with RO:HoS. We put every bit of awesome that we can squeeze into everything we do! =)

Upvote 0