• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Zed: The Brute

webley

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2010
www.wolfpackclan.com
BETA PUBLIC RELEASE!

Please post your feedback here or in our forums at www.wolfpackclan.com

DOWNLOAD BETA here
http://www.wolfpackclan.com/modules/newbbex/3-913-11113-brute-public-beta.html
or
http://www.mostimpressive.nl/TheBrute/

New brute soon to be released (no release date yet) by [WPC] www.wolfpackclan.com with special thanks to arramus and braindead and benjiman

http://www.mostimpressive.nl/TheBrute/

(Damage and other content shown in video is not final product!)
YouTube - Brute Promo Commercial

follow our progress on the creation here http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=46534

follow release dates and version releases and other info here

also of course on our site

lots more to come for the eyes!

spoiler he will be released with a map also :)

Story

Horzine’s first experiments included worn down boxing champions of the london districts that had long forgotten their glory days as reigning masters of the sport. Degraded to simple street-thugs they had little left to live for and applied themselves for the biogenic experiments, hoping they would regain their strenght to rise again. Little did they know that Horzine had other plans with their former “brute” strength. Placing muscle stimulators under the skin and revitalizing the tissue underneath was the first step, but it produced undesired effects… The fluids had to be injected constantly, so Horzine placed a metal structure in the lower arms of the specimen. Covered with metal plating the structure in the arms fed the muscle tissue every 5 minutes with stimuli. The only problem was the tissue becomming bruised from the outside…oh and not to forget the horrible pain every injection gave to the specimen. The project was abandon due to loss of too many scientists working on the project, and other specimens were proving to be easier controlled. The specimen’s were put in stasis till further notice…..at least until the outbreak…

Gameplay

This guy will not kill dramatically, just throw you about messing up your group forcing you to move about and spend ammo. His boxing stance will only allow you to get a clear head shot from the sides or back. Best way to get the brute to reveal the back of his head is to send a berserker to get his attention and to turn the brute around so his back is facing the group.

He is his own specimen, an additional specimen - He does not replace any of the current specimens

He has his own behaviour patterns (similar to that of FleshPounds)

Last edited:
hmmm you know how randomly(usually on large complex maps) that random zeds will start fighting eachother? well what happens if 2 brutes start to go at eachother? do they keep knocking eachother back and coming back for more? or smack them out of range so they forget they were fighting? 0.o
ZEDs of the same class wont fight, but I would love to see a brute fight any other ZED ;]

Upvote 0
We had some tests with it and yes it attacks other specimens lol. One time, at bandcamp I had one Clot walking towards me and a Brute behind it, the Clot got slammed against the floor because he wasnt moving fast enough lol.

You guys are going to love this, its mental!

Oh btw, it doesnt replace the FP anymore. It spawns with the other specimens.

It has its own animations using the FP ones as a base. It blocks Headshots with his arms.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's just a model right now. They demonstrated it by replacing the Fleshpound's model, so what you're seeing are just reskinned Fleshpounds. They will get around to making it a specimen of its own later on.

guess you didnt notice the new animations in the video :) or any of the video for that matter as you would have seen his "throw" or running speed? none of which are fleshpounders. Also the brutes rage mechanics/behaviour work differently

Its already been coded to be its own class of zed - we can already add him to waves of zombies currently existing

He can be spawned along side fleshpounds if we want him to.

and soon youll see him block head shots with his hands...

almost there :)

we are at version 4 and just need to do the sounds, few balance tweaks and get his map finished then we roll him out.

I would say we are days or a week away - but i wont set that in stone

and yes... hes destroys zombies if they get to close... Other zombies will try to avoid him

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Everything has to be perfect Yoshiro. If we want a decent shot at this baby beeing adopted in a future update we really want to present it to you guys as best as possible.

This means full promotional campain, and plugging/adjusting the Brute untill you guys are satisfied it meets all requirements of a full Zed.

:)

Upvote 0
It's looking good but it's running much too fast for the animation. If you're going to have it move that fast give it bigger, longer strides. Also, it doesn't seem to do a lot of damage? Just that getting knocked about like that would hurt quite a bit. :D

running : resolved (vid is 4 days old)
damage : like the description says

"This guy will not kill, just throw you about messing up your group forcing you to move about and spend ammo. His boxing stance will only allow you to get a clear head shot from the sides or back. Best way to get the brute to reveal the back of his head is to send a berserker to get his attention and to turn the brute around so his back is facing the group. "

Upvote 0
running : resolved (vid is 4 days old)
damage : like the description says

"This guy will not kill, just throw you about messing up your group forcing you to move about and spend ammo. His boxing stance will only allow you to get a clear head shot from the sides or back. Best way to get the brute to reveal the back of his head is to send a berserker to get his attention and to turn the brute around so his back is facing the group. "

there are still balancing tweeks happening as we speak and a whole load tonight - just trying to find that right bit of balance - i havent settled the damage yet - but i dont want him to do massive amounts of damage, as on small cramped maps being thrown into other zombies is more of a factor, and therefore alot of brutes damage comes from the damage dealing of other zombies

but the brute will deal damage, hes not going to do tiny damage, but not massive damage either

all it takes is the wrong kind of throw in the wrong kind of direction, and youll be fighting your way out of a zombie sandwich - so the randomness of the brutes power and damage is in his throw and the direction he throws you in and the zombies he throws you into

the brute is also very effective in taking down a front line barracade, pushing the enforcers all the way back allowing slower zeds to break the front line

you are less likely to find yourself standing still practising your head shots with a brute spawning amongst your waves :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We had some tests with it and yes it attacks other specimens lol. One time, at bandcamp I had one Clot walking towards me and a Brute behind it, the Clot got slammed against the floor because he wasnt moving fast enough
That is regular Fleshpound behavior. Any specimens caught in the path of a raging Fleshpound take damage, even gibbing the weaker ones. I'm surprised to hear that this was left in. This Brute is beginning to sound (and look) more and more like a minor Fleshpound derivative. I was hoping for something more original.

Upvote 0
That is regular Fleshpound behavior. Any specimens caught in the path of a raging Fleshpound take damage, even gibbing the weaker ones. I'm surprised to hear that this was left in. This Brute is beginning to sound (and look) more and more like a minor Fleshpound derivative. I was hoping for something more original.

lol I didnt say it was raging, it floored the zed in front of him in normal mode. And it doesnt pulverize its enemy, it beats the **** out of them.

Almost done guys, and then you can judge for yourself.

Upvote 0