• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
In the second gdc video. There was a class called engineer. I was just wondering if this will be a legitimate class, and what are its purposes?

Probably like the saper in ROOST. Satchel charges for demo and anti-tank (at least in ROOST). I understand satchel charges really wouldn't be great against tanks IRL, dunno about in game.

Upvote 0
In the second gdc video. There was a class called engineer. I was just wondering if this will be a legitimate class, and what are its purposes?

His purpose is to blow stuff up, simple as that, he gets the boom-boom toys for taking out objectives, blasting through obstacles to create new paths for his team, and sometimes he'll get anti-tank boom-boom's too.

Atleast, that's what he was in RO:Ost.

Upvote 0
I figure, a proper engineer/sapper would've cleared minefields, cut barbwire, and carried shambeh bambeh. A combat engineer that is.

One that just hangs around base for repairs isn't fun, but can be very important for tank support as they can repair vehicle, replace damaged but not disabled treads, etc.

However, we probably will just get Shambeh bambeh engie. As such, lets hope he gets wire cutters and he's good. Germans get Gebaullte Ladung and Russians get... Whatever type of little packet of death and doom they used back then. RPG-6, anyone? OH wait, thats an anti tank grenade.

Upvote 0
Is it possible to lodge a satchel charge between the turret and body of the tank? I could imagine that would cause some damage.

That was practised.

I assume that everybody here knows that when the explosion occurs in somewhat "compressed" space, for example when the explosion device is lodged between the turret and the hull of a tank, the force of the explosion is much more devastating.

For example Finns and Germans destroyed T-34s with that method. It goes without saying that it was ofcourse very risky and hardly practical to encounter tanks with that method. But it was nevertheless used and not without succes.

It would be great, if that could be implemented in game, but I should think that it would be somewhat hard to do it well.

Upvote 0
What about overpressure caused by the blast?
From some accounts i've read about WW1 people could become artillery victims even though not necessarily hit by the explosion or any shrapnel, because veins in their head couldnt handle the pressure and snapped, causing internal bleeding.

I'm not at all sure about the effect of a satchel charge on the crew inside a tank, though it would seem to me as a possibility despite the tank itself not suffering any damage.

Upvote 0
What about overpressure caused by the blast?
From some accounts i've read about WW1 people could become artillery victims even though not necessarily hit by the explosion or any shrapnel, because veins in their head couldnt handle the pressure and snapped, causing internal bleeding.

I'm not at all sure about the effect of a satchel charge on the crew inside a tank, though it would seem to me as a possibility despite the tank itself not suffering any damage.

That's normal for any high explosive, they don't actually explode, they detonate.

What's the difference? A detonation creates a supersonic blastwave, which is lethal if you are caught in it's path (over a limited range of course, it slows down like anything else, and once it falls below supersonic speeds, it stops beeing lethal).
Basically, the human body cannot survive beeing hit by a supersonic preasure wave, especially the lungs, but veins and other organs will also suffer.

Low explosives on the other hand just explode, which creates a subsonic blastwave, and is non-lethal, which is why low explosives only make an effective weapon if you incase it in lots of metal, so it'll produce lots of shrapnel.

However, you should be well protected from any supersonic blastwave inside a tank, it's not going to make it through the armour, and it's not the preasure that kills, it's getting hit by a supersonic force that does, so a satchel charge should not kill the crew inside, not unless it has a clear path to them (like an open hatch).

Upvote 0
How about anti- personnel mines that are spawned in specific areas with random dispersion before the match begins? Engineers of the attacking side will then have the job of detecting them and marking for friendly troops.

I don't think that kind of mine detection and defusing works in the scope of the game, where matches don't last that long.

Upvote 0