• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Artillery ideas

You are wrong. Of course can real arty destoy a tank - it just depends on the caliber!
A small mortar shell wont destroy a tank, but real arty like 88 or soviet guns of same size could rip a tank to pieces.

Dont forget: arty always strikes from ABOVE - and the tank has the thinnest amour at the top!

Not contradicting you, but I would think it also depends on the type of rounds used. Obviously armor piercing rounds would slice right through, but where they ever loaded in indirect fire artillery. What about HE rounds?

Upvote 0
Unless TW's goal is to make a real time armed conflict simulater and not a game for the masses, then there are some concessions that have to be made. I'm not argueing for or against the ideas presented. I'm just suggesting that not everything in a game based in reality has to be done as is in real life. Events that happen in the game don't necessarily have to correspond in a 1:1 ratio to their real life counterparts . Battles and skirmishes over territory, for example, generally last for more than 5-20 minutes. So some battle events that occured often have to be compressed to be brought into the game. RO:HOS is compressing events that happened over days/weeks down to a few minutes (or perhaps hours in campaign mode).

Unfortunatly...I know exactly what you are saying and agree with your assesment.
It is a game after all for the masses vs. an actually 1:1 RL realistic engagement. What takes a few minutes to do in RO would take an hour to accomplish in RL with far less casualties.
I was hoping for the latter, but I knew it wouldnt be anyways.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Im hoping & assuming Arty in RO are heavy Mortars ( 80-120 mm in size ), and not 105-155 mm Guns/Howitzers due to the scope of RO.

Anyways, to put it into perspective in my gaming experience over the years ( using various miniature gaming rules );
80 mm Mortars generally have a 5% chance to KO, 105 mm Guns/120 Mortars have about a 10% chance to KO, 150 mm and above about a 25% per barrage of a KO against Tanks or equivalent ( KO in game terms would mean anywhere from a total destruction from a direct hit or immobilization from near misses ). Double these percentage against open top or thin Armor such ( ACs and HTs ), and further double that against soft skin ( trucks ).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I honestly don't think that the devs need to come up with some sort of fragmentation system for grenades, even it if is were technologically feasible (wouldn't bog down the server).

Grenades and explosives in general are deadly enough in RO1 as it is, that's for sure. Do we really want this compounded by additional random fragmentation? Stalingrad Kessel comes to mind where people throw around satchel charges like they're baseballs ...

YouTube - Red Orchestra: Safety First!

Last edited:
Upvote 0