• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

WTF? Game running actually smooth now!

Anything above 25-30 fps is smooth. And for my aging PC, a jump from average 15 to average 45 basically means the game runs properly.
The difference between 40 and 85 fps is superficial and only relevant if you have a very strong rig and feel it is underutilized. Because without frame rate counters, you will not see the difference between 30 and 60.
Just to clarify again, you will not be able to physically see any difference in fps once its above 30 or so

Lol what?

You can tell the difference only slightly when watching but when PLAYING you can feel a HUGEEE difference. Playing at 30fps and fighting in close quarters against some at 60fps his reaction times are better than yours and you can't aim as precise because it isn't updating as fast as his.

Reactions: aesdana
Upvote 0
If you'd put that weighty grey matter in your upper-chamber to work, you'd see that it DOES prove a lot..

Not to forget that the way video-framing and game-framing works is totally different from the way your eye and then your brains register visual information and convert it to signals. Two totally different worlds. Frames versus continious feed of light-information.

Reactions: Wodin
Upvote 0
Just throwing oddness into the mix ;)

http://www.boallen.com/fps-compare.html

No way should films and TV be shot at 30fps. Unless you want No Country for Old Men to look like Days of Our Lives.

The goal of motion pictures is not to recreate reality, it's not even to show reality. I want to create a little psychic link between you and my pictures. I want to suck you into the world of the story, suspend your disbelief and make you forget about yourself and your life and just be in the moment of the film.

By not showing enough visual information, we force the brain into filling in the gaps... it draws you in even more. It's part of how you let go to the point where you can laugh or cry or feel tense or afraid or elated.

Naim Sutherland

Upvote 0
the way your eyes work and the way your brain interprets that information, and the way a monitor displays images are vastly different.

The biggest issue with how smooth gameplay appears are changes in FPS, ie having an inconsistent FPS. a steady 30fps will appear smoother than fps jumping around between 55-60fps. A steady 60fps, however, still offers a smoother experience than 30fps but consistency is really the name of the game.

Upvote 0
Just throwing oddness into the mix ;)

[url]http://www.boallen.com/fps-compare.html[/URL]

The new Bilbo movie is being shot at 60fps so they can keep sharpness in the fast moving action scenes. Will be interesting to see if it will keep the movie feeling or feel like a lot of amateur movies recorded at 60fps do.

To see how it would look like to keep a fast moving action scene sharp but still show it at the normal movie fps the Blade intro is a prime example. Stylistic but choppy.

Upvote 0
When it comes to frame rate, it's definitely following the law of diminishing returns. From 20 to 40 is a huge difference. From 40 to 60 is certainly noticeable. From 60 to 80.. for most purposes you won't really care about it. And from 80 to 100.. while I'm sure the human eye can detect the difference... it's really going to make sod all difference for practical purposes.

And to complicate matters further, games are very different to say, film. In a film, the low FPS is less of an issue. This is both due to the passive nature of the viewer, and also the fact the director is consciously avoiding any motion of the camera that will highlight the low frame rate (such as some wide panning shots).

And to complicate matters even further, people adapt to what they are used to. If 30 FPS is all you've known, you get used to it. You don't realise how limiting it is. It seems "good" to you. It's not until you sample a decent 60 odd FPS that you realise how limiting it was. I used to play BF1942 on a GF2 on pretty high details. It seemed good then. Many years later when my main PC died, and I was on the old machine as backup for a while I attempted to play BF1942 on it. I found it unplayable.

Basically, frames per second is a complicated and highly relative issue. And people always argue over it on forums. It's like gun control, religion etc. It's 100% certain to start an argument ;)

Upvote 0
No, you are wrong. For a game to appear smooth, all that is needed is the GFX card to shovel 30 frames per second onto the monitor. That is why for example many games use frame rate limiters locked at 32 fps. Because more is not needed. And if the game takes a performance hit, strong hardware simply keeps shoveling harder to maintain the FPS. YOu do not need to render 60fps in "reserve" for that as some people assume.
The only thing you can actually "feel" during a performance hit is load stutter which you notice in your controls and not in your FPS

What in the world are you going on about? 25-30 FPS feels terrible, it's not near as smooth as 60 FPS.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you stand still, maybe fire your gun and see someone running near you, 30 FPS might appear smooth, but once you start looking around with your mouse, 30 FPS will appear laggy.

You can try to quickly peeking behind your back, then turning again facing forwards. The difference between 30 and 60 FPS is huge. (Unless you are using a gamepad. Your movements will be slower and you usually won't notice it like with a mouse. This is why console ports mainly have the 30 FPS limit [+ performance reasons on consoles].)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The new Bilbo movie is being shot at 60fps so they can keep sharpness in the fast moving action scenes. Will be interesting to see if it will keep the movie feeling or feel like a lot of amateur movies recorded at 60fps do.

To see how it would look like to keep a fast moving action scene sharp but still show it at the normal movie fps the Blade intro is a prime example. Stylistic but choppy.

If they show a Movie in 60fps it may have that spectacular look like the old Showscan prototype system they had in Fairfax, Va. many years ago. That was like Imax squared but it was a small screen

Upvote 0
Hey guys, not willing to create a new thread, so I'll just post it here:

Specs:
AMD Phenom II x4 955 OC'd @ 3.5 GHz
GTX 560 Ti OC'd @ (It was stock OC'd to something [forgot])
4 gb of RAM

With Ultra settings, I'm getting an average of 40 fps when looking at mid range (Station), I end up getting about 15-30 when looking at long distances (Spartanovak)
I had to turn my settings all to Low, only to get 50-70 mid range, and 30-40 at long range.

I shouldn't be getting this, right? Like it's all part of the performance issue? I don't really have many games that are up to date with high graphics, so I wouldn't really know..

Upvote 0
Hehe, I guess I'll indeed have to learn to cope with it. But things are often much more complicated than people believe they are.

By the way: why do you have Belgium as your country and Limburg as the province. Not a proud Southern-Dutchman :p ?
Maastricht University maybe?
EDIT:
Ah, UHasselt, ok.

I shall assume your geography on the region isn't fantastic then :D

Upvote 0