• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Static MMGs: utterly useless?

Trips

Sep 27, 2011
I've never seen anybody use one and it's not hard to see why. Usually set up in obvious positions and produce a lot of aggro as soon as you pull the trigger. In theory they're just bullet magnets.

I tried one out on GrainElevator hoping to be proved wrong but nope:

*DADADADADADAD-*
*schwik*

"You will respawn in 12 seconds"

So, do they have any use at all right now? Is there anything Tripwire can do to 'fix' them?

Last edited:
If the German fixed MG34 aimed at the Grain Elevator could be pointed upwards at a higher angle than it currently elevates, that would be excellent.

Otherwise, though, I use them often enough when they spawn in a good location. They can definitely have a significant impact. Plus the Maxim 1910 is just awesome.

Upvote 0
Found one MG34 placed at the top of one of the buildings at Pavlov's house (the high one right in front of the open are at the side of the actual Pavlov's house, where the destroyed train carts are) and found it very useful! It was placed so that it was very hard for the enemy to take me out before I could see them, and when they did I just pressed C and tried to suppress in their general direction from cover :p

Havn't really understood how they are placed (same with many others, I guess, since you often see them located at very retarded positions), but then I'm saving commanding for later...

Once people get used to the maps and learn the best places to put these things I bet we'll see lots of threads about how OP and deadly they are ;) It's all about placement

Upvote 0
Most of the Maxims in the church on Spartanovka are as good as your team, because if your team is defending the church they are defending your flanks anyway and then it's murder.

On Grain Elevator the ones defending the gatehouse and the one on the second floor pointing inside the room are good. The ones in the windows and the ones aournd hte conveyor tower are too dangerous.

Pavlov's House has a few good HMG's. As do Red October and Barracks. The trick for most of them is to not stay after you've killed a few enemies, the first time has a surprise factor.

On Station, while playing with others in the 39th, we were routed all the way to the last objective and we just took turns on the Maxim facing the center of the big room on the second floor that covers all the entrances on one side, and had a LMG facing us to defend the opposite angle, and between the MMG and the LMG each had gathered at least 30 kills on the last point. Against people.

Conclusion: It depends which ones, trick is to know which ones are more vulnerable than they are worth, and if your team isn't defending at all don't even bother. It only takes one or two riflemen standing by you to make you an invincible pillar in defense, and it doesn't even have to be with clanmates, I got pubs where people were that smart.

Reactions: TravisT
Upvote 0
D6DEF42BA58D92B4374BC50314E1F7BB28DFCB3E

ill just leave this here.

Upvote 0
Well, I too think that depends on HMG's positioning which is pretty random per each round (correct me if I am mistaken). HMG in a good spot can hold down ground with little support, the other spots require some help from you teammates (to lay down fire on one's you can't shoot right now and to provide more targets for the enemy to shoot at), but competent HMG can take down a couple of enemies before he gets spotted and killed.

Upvote 0
Well, I too think that depends on HMG's positioning which is pretty random per each round (correct me if I am mistaken). HMG in a good spot can hold down ground with little support, the other spots require some help from you teammates (to lay down fire on one's you can't shoot right now and to provide more targets for the enemy to shoot at), but competent HMG can take down a couple of enemies before he gets spotted and killed.

Yeah, there's a few HMG spots that are amazing, but in general a lot of them are in useless or awkward positions. It was kind of like that with AT guns in ROOST. Community-made maps utilized them better, and I assume we'll see the same when the mods come around.

Upvote 0
There are times when I'm lucky enough that the static MG will spawn in a location that is actually usefull. That is few and far between though. Usually the MMG will spawn in either a useless area where it can't possibly help cover the points, or it is somewhere useful but is utterly exposed to return fire.

There have been times that I've jumped on a Maxim and gotten 20 kills before anyone even shot at me, but that is by far the exception. I'd rather see static MGs appear in the same locations, but have those locations be decent. Give the MMGs a small area of the map they can dominate, but can easily be flanked if the enemy learns to not run straight into the MGs bullets.

Instead of randomly placed MMGs use them to create smaller set-piece battles where the attackers must work together to take the MG out. To balance this the MG could actually overheat or run out of ammo. Granted, the Maxim would take a lot longer to overheat, but who here can honestly say they've never thought about pissing into a Maxims water sleeve?

Upvote 0
The Maxim PM1910 sound should be changed though, it sounds awefull

Russian Maxim 1910 machine gun - YouTube

THIS is a maxim!

Guns sounds different depending on where you're sitting.

As the explosive enrgy of the muzzle blast is sent out forward and sideways, the gun will generally sound louder from those directions, whereas if you're the operator, you'll likely be hearing more of the gun mechanics thrown into the mix.

Upvote 0
Once in a while they really do spawn in a great location and can be deadly, but its not often and they are bullet magnets. In most cases the ranges are short and its easy to take out the gunner. Biggest problem I have with them is that they seem to have a very limited range of motion...your target always seems to be just out of reach to the left or right.

Upvote 0
Grain elevator is the only map that they seem to be in good locations more often than not. The first floor ones are usually awesome for ripping up germans coming through their smoke, although if one spawns out between the elevator and B it's great for working the right side of the map.

When they're in a decent spot their great, otherwise they're death traps.

Upvote 0