• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 is a true successor to the mod

What I remember from the short time I spent on the mod was Bolt action rifles, recoil on SMG's, being stabbed by bayonets, small numbers of players in any game, getting blown up by nades and some epic maps (can't remember the names, but some were a lot of fun). I just liked the gameplay, especially having so many bolts around.

I actually did a few gameplay videos shortly before Ostfront released, with simply the gameplay without any editing. Should have kept them but deleted them a while ago

Do you know how long it took for the first RO players to figure out how to do this stuff? I'm sure it wasn't two weeks. The game mechanics aren't what will give you any of that, only player education will, and that takes time.

I highly doubt anyone was having much fun during the first month of RO1, either, at least in comparison to when it had a mature player base that was very comfortable with the mechanics and could pretend they didn't even exist.

I know this because previous even more realistic games hadn't done well precisely for the reason that most people can't play them well. What eventually happened was everyone agreed what they would call realistic and went their separate ways. Some decided that the short reaction time fast paced play was unrealistic, and went and played games like RO or Project Reality, while others who disagreed went and played games like Insurgency or True Combat:Elite.

RO2 is a cross-breed. You may call it a bastard, but I think it's a perfect hybrid. It has the mechanics set as realistically as possible, which allows all styles of play, then tries to reward you for being more tactical and punish you for being less tactical. Some stuff is there so players can just have fun, but without changing a thing, an admin could make his server as realistic as he wants simply by kicking anyone who won't play the way he likes.

Everyone has the freedom to choose how to play the best FPS ever. What can be bad about that?

Upvote 0
I've never heard of anybody bandaging themselves more than twice in one life.

Then again, I just might not have been paying attention.

I did a few times actually. I've been automatically bandaged while I was trying to get behind a wall while I had the option to pick up a weapon, it bandaged me while letting me keep my bandages. It's happened to me probably around 3-10 times.

Upvote 0
Bayo any Mkb-wielding Fritz who pokes his head in. ;):D

That's the spirit comrade! Save the bullets for the real threats! Mother Russia can't afford to waste precious lead on such scum! :D

-

Actually, you'll appreciate this. Me and my SL are assaulting one of the buildings. A Nazi scum opens up with an MkB. My bayonet glints....

Spoiler!

They don't like it up 'em!

Everyone but me was firing. I just ran in and stabbed the guy, then took a photo of his corpse while the squad moved in. I'm a sick, sick man! :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Problem comes when a third of the Soviet team decide to camp in the upper-floor windows on their side of the river, and another third decide to push on past the cap zones, effectively taking themselves out of action entirely.

I was with you right up until you said the people who pushed past the cap zones (the ones that kill most of the Germans before they get to the cap zone) are taking themselves out of the battle.

The number one thing you need to do to secure an objective is to seize and hold the enemy's approaches to that objective. The guys who push past the cap zone are doing that.

I was once helping defend the park from a counter attack after we had just seized it. We came under fire from a fixed MG. I pushed past the zone by flanking behind the Germans in the Propaganda house, killing a few on the way and approached the MG from an unexpected direction.

Spoiler!

One more notch on my bayonet (I'm running out of room, it's practically serrated already). No more MG. The German counter-attack failed. In fact I might have even slowed reinforcement of the propaganda house which is just about to fall.

Did I "take myself out of the battle", or did I just go do some hero ****?

This was an awesome moment. I tried to take an SS of him firing, but it mustn't have taken it. I also didn't want to muck around too much so close to their spawn, so I didn't get a screenshot, but watching the Germans assaulting towards the park get cut down when all the no-longer-suppressed Russians popped up, was too good for words.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Heed your own words perhaps..... when you exaggerate by saying someone can bandage 3-4 times in one life is just that, and exaggeration considering you only spawn with 2 bandages.

I've bandaged twice in one life..... once.... most other times I'm either dead or I'm injured and bandage once, then die shortly afterwards..... or die while trying to bandage..... or Run for cover to bandage only to die from the wound anyways.

I've never heard of anybody bandaging themselves more than twice in one life.

Then again, I just might not have been paying attention.

I give up. You guys win. You only get two bandages. First is SECOND chance. 2nd (and final) bandage is THIRD chance. If you get hit again and BLEED OUT, T H A T is FOURTH chance. Now you guys are claiming I said you can bandage more than twice. I can't argue with people who constantly misrepresent what I posted and make me have to keep typing the same thing over and over. Then again, I'm sure that's likely the intent of many of who do this. Have a wonderful day.

Upvote 0
I give up. You guys win. You only get two bandages. First is SECOND chance. 2nd (and final) bandage is THIRD chance. If you get hit again and BLEED OUT, T H A T is FOURTH chance. Now you guys are claiming I said you can bandage more than twice. I can't argue with people who constantly misrepresent what I posted and make me have to keep typing the same thing over and over. Then again, I'm sure that's likely the intent of many of who do this. Have a wonderful day.

You need to explain things a little better.

If you get shot once and start to bleed, that's your "1st" chance as staying alive by using your first bandage.... hit again and you have a 2nd chance at staying alive by using your second bandage..... hit a third time and you're screwed, either by bleed out or from already taking so much damage from the first two shots that you just die.

How do you count the first bullet wound & bandage as a second chance? 2nd Chance for what?

I suppose it's your 2nd chance at living after being shot, but that would imply that your first life from spawning is your 1st chance at living and once you're shot you should simply just die with no chance at saving yourself.

Or are you talking about a 2nd chance at killing the person who shot you?

If that's the case, then so what?

In RO:CA & RO:Ost, you'd get shot in the leg, you slowed down for a few seconds, but never bled out, could still shoot back and then continue on playing as if nothing ever happened. If you get shot in the hand or arm, you'd drop your weapon, but would then switch to your sidearm or pick up the same weapon, shoot back and then continue on without a worry, while not bleeding out or needing to bandage.

Hell in RO:CA & RO1, I've been shot more than twice and was still able to carry on in the game as if nothing happened after a few seconds of walking slow..... and I've been able to mow down the other guy even after getting hit once or twice from them, so the bandaging didn't make anything worse towards gameplay other than forcing the player to stop and bandage or end up dead from bleeding to death. In the previous RO's, you didn't have to worry about anything if you were hit by a non-critical shot.

So excuse me for not understanding what your point is, in regards to bandaging.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sensemann and TT33
Upvote 0
For all the vets saying the aiming is too fast ...be glad its not this fast ...( the dude has some skills)

Chris Tilley Shooting on the Move - YouTube

Thats one guy who probably has years of training, practice and the inevitable talent; must we model the whole game based on him?

I doubt anyone in stalingrad did (or wanted to do) that.

I will admit though, that guy is pretty slick

Upvote 0
I said as much as you said here during the Beta Amerikaner. Much of the game is exactly how I expected and wanted RO2 to be. Ok to be truthfull I was also anxiously awaiting the campaign as it would bring more depth to the game & force better managment of your reinforcements round to round.

As I said, its just little things like how fast you can IS / instant run acceleration / etc that serve to just push it off kilter enough so that its better 4 times out of 10 to pretend in your mind that this is a run n gun shooter and play as such. I frankly want to get my *** shredded by enemy fire when I start playing like an absolute ***. I was running round like a cross between Rambo & Jesus earlier today with a MG34 on Allies just hip shooting, with great success. It's something like that which I believe should be very hard to do, so if and when you ever do it, its a bloody magical moment, not routine.

Upvote 0
You need to explain things a little better.

If you get shot once and start to bleed, that's your "1st" chance as staying alive by using your first bandage.... hit again and you have a 2nd chance at staying alive by using your second bandage..... hit a third time and you're screwed, either by bleed out or from already taking so much damage from the first two shots that you just die.

How do you count the first bullet wound & bandage as a second chance? 2nd Chance for what?

I suppose it's your 2nd chance at living after being shot, but that would imply that your first life from spawning is your 1st chance at living and once you're shot you should simply just die with no chance at saving yourself.

Or are you talking about a 2nd chance at killing the person who shot you?

If that's the case, then so what?

In RO:CA & RO:Ost, you'd get shot in the leg, you slowed down for a few seconds, but never bled out, could still shoot back and then continue on playing as if nothing ever happened. If you get shot in the hand or arm, you'd drop your weapon, but would then switch to your sidearm or pick up the same weapon, shoot back and then continue on without a worry, while not bleeding out or needing to bandage.

Hell in RO:CA & RO1, I've been shot more than twice and was still able to carry on in the game as if nothing happened after a few seconds of walking slow..... and I've been able to mow down the other guy even after getting hit once or twice from them, so the bandaging didn't make anything worse towards gameplay other than forcing the player to stop and bandage or end up dead from bleeding to death. In the previous RO's, you didn't have to worry about anything if you were hit by a non-critical shot.

So excuse me for not understanding what your point is, in regards to bandaging.

I've already said it. YOU WON. There's no arguing with you, and I'm not wasting my time. My God, when somebody actually says, "If you get shot once and start to bleed, that's your "1st" chance as staying alive by using your first bandage," well, you have your own view of life and I'm not gonna change it. I guess the life you spawn with is zero chance. I see the light, Brother! I'm converted. Please leave me alone now, as I have surrendered and have the right under the GC not to be tortured. Toodles.

P.S. And to protect that right, congratulations, you have broken my ignore list cherry. No more logic in the line of, "A cow is a mammal. All cows are mammels. A tiger is a mammel. Therefore, all tigers are cows." :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thats one guy who probably has years of training, practice and the inevitable talent; must we model the whole game based on him?

Nope not everyone would have that kinda skill I agree but then again you cant do that in RO2.

The troops that fought in Stalingrad was no scrubs either mostly consisting of veteran Wehrmacht and Soviet Guards units.And fast target acquisition was trained on both sides.One of the reasons it was one of historys most brutal battles.

As far as pace compared to RO1 its a tad faster aiming but I used to hip fire and run and gun alot in ro1 as well.Even with the bolt and hipfiring seems harder in ro2 than the first.Due to the faster run speeds and the more dynamic movements.

I really think alot of old vets just don't like relearning the gameplay over again(I can see their point) but then again we had to when we first started playing ro1.I'm still having to adjust myself but to call ro2 an arcade shooter just isn't fair.The tactics and teamplay still apply and its more like ro1 than any game that will be released ever until ro3 trust me on that.

I don't see what the argument is both are good games and if people hate ro2 they can always go back to the original.Myself I'm having fun adjusting to this one. We really are talking about less than half a second sight time.After playing this one for a month almost ro1 feels kinda sluggish so I guess I'm already adjusted.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarioBava
Upvote 0
I agree with Amerikaner.

Ive also been playing since the first mod release years ago (was it 2003?) I fell in love with RO then, and have loved it ever since. RO2 is getting a lot of criticism, but I think it's an excellent evolution of the series.

The game mechanics are excellent. It has lost the clunky, disconnected feeling of its predecessor. It is far more fluid, every action is smoother and more intuitive. The weapons feel better; they have a real weight and punch to them when they are fired, and the free aim system is sublime. The FOV changes when sprinting feel natural and add a great deal. The zoom feature is excellent, and a stroke of genius to bind it to your sprint key. The core gameplay has pretty much nailed it.

My only criticisms (and indeed most peoples) are the bugs and perhaps the weapon distribution. But, bugs can be fixed. Game crashes are rare now. Performance still needs a lot of work, but it will be fixed. The weapon distribution, I agree, is a bit silly; it's so sad to see so many MKB42s and AVTs floating around when we were told they would be unlocks for only the most elite players, the hero class. The problem is not the weapons themselves, only the fact that they are so readily available.

I really hope and pray that this was an oversight on TWIs part, and that the only reason it hasn't been addressed is because they are busy stamping out more important bugs and performance issues. Once the game is stable they can hopefully address the class issues and weapon selections (things like making the MKB the default weapon choice for the assault once it's unlocked, or making enemy weapons the default choice for Hero classes. This can all be fixed, but as it stands and as Amerikaner and Praxius have said, the game itself is outstanding.

Reactions: Clowndoe
Upvote 0
I've already said it. YOU WON. There's no arguing with you, and I'm not wasting my time. My God, when somebody actually says, "If you get shot once and start to bleed, that's your "1st" chance as staying alive by using your first bandage," well, you have your own view of life and I'm not gonna change it. I guess the life you spawn with is zero chance. I see the light, Brother! I'm converted. Please leave me alone now, as I have surrendered and have the right under the GC not to be tortured. Toodles.

P.S. And to protect that right, congratulations, you have broken my ignore list cherry. No more logic in the line of, "A cow is a mammal. All cows are mammels. A tiger is a mammel. Therefore, all tigers are cows." :rolleyes:

Dude, I was just trying to understand what you were trying to get across, as you never exactly explained what these "Chances" were relating to when you first posted in this thread.

If you want to have your own little freak out because people are actually trying to respond to you in a mature manner, by all means, fill your boots.......

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to Topic:

Anyways, I wanted to come back into this thread to talk about the ties between RO:CA and RO:HoS:

Most of the people I see come into these forums and trashing all over RO2, are usually basing their views on what they experienced in RO1 and what made RO1 so great. They then go on about how Tripwire has lost their way and they should have just re-did RO1 with fancier graphics. They go on about how Trip should remove this, take away that, bring back this, stop doing that, etc.....

and then the wonderful justification of "I'm an RO1 Vet" as if somehow that makes them more of an expert on Red Orchestra, more than the Developers of RO or those who have been playing RO before RO1 existed.

People need to keep in mind that if all you have ever played of RO was RO1, then you're only getting a fraction of the overall picture of what RO was and is.

Red Orchestra did not begin and end with RO1, it began with a Mod for Unreal Tournament 2003.... very few people in these forums can say they have been following RO since the very start.

I haven't.... I got into RO when it first became available as a mod for UT2k4.

The point here is that the majority of the people at Tripwire didn't just come along into the RO scene after RO1 was released. Most of them have been on board with RO since day 1.... they have been around long enough to see what made RO for UT2k3, RO for UT2k4 and RO1 so great and so popular.

They also have been around long enough to see what caused problems for each incarnation of Red Orchestra.

Red Orchestra did not Begin and End with RO1 and RO1 is not the thing everybody should be swaying their judgement on.

It was the Mods that made Tripwire what it is today.... the Mods are what made RO what it is today.

In my humble opinion, Red Orchestra: Combined Arms was far more popular and turned more heads than what RO1 did. I knew of people who bought UT2k4 simply to just be able to play RO:CA.

I'm not even sure if there's a way anybody could calculate how many people played RO:CA at its peak compared to RO1 at its peak, but do remember the community was huge.

RO1 is just one of many other variations of RO itself and when you only base your views of RO2 to just RO1, you have a limited perspective to judge what RO could and/or should be.

Again, IMO..... RO1 went off into a different direction from where I personally wanted RO to go. There were more features and many more things going for RO1 that RO:CA didn't have.... but the atmosphere, the feel, the community, the tie between realism and an enjoyable FPS were all missing in RO1. There were a number of things I found that changed in RO1 that I was used to and I appreciated in RO:CA.

RO2 seems to have gone back to that direction RO:CA was taking..... as the thread title states: RO2 is a True Successor to RO:CA and actually interests me more than RO1 ever did.

I suspect that before RO2 was even started, the Devs looked back at not just RO1, but the RO mods as well..... they looked at what made each so great, they looked at the overall picture, not just one game out of three, and they made a platform for RO2 based on all three..... then moved forward with what RO1 should have been.

RO1 does have its unique features and gameplay, it does have playability, but for me, RO1 simply doesn't have the replayability that the Mod always had..... and I found myself wander off to other games & getting a little tired of RO1.

I would still be playing the Mod to this very day if there were decent servers where I live with decent pings.

Since RO2 has come out, I haven't even bothered starting up RO1 even once.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The point is, a skilled person is more than capable of doing everything you see in the game, and for example German soldiers were some of the best trained in the world. That is why they punched so far above their weight.

Soldiers who spend a year or more fighting on an almost daily basis are hardly going to be fumbling with the reload. This game is called Heroes of Stalingrad for a reason:

"Andrey Khozyaynov, a sailor serving in the Naval Infantry Brigade, who was the only survivor of the battle for the Grain Elevator, lived to write an account of the battle fought by 30 Guards and 18 sailors:"
"As the grain burns, the water in the machine-guns evaporated, leaving all, especially the wounded, thirsty. The explosions were shattering the concrete; the grain was in flames. We could not see one another for dust and smoke, but we cheered one another with shouts. German Tommy gunners appeared from behind the tanks. There were about 200 of them. They attacked very cautiously, throwing grenades in front of them. We were able to catch some of the grenades and throw them back. On the west side of the elevator, the Germans managed to enter the building, but we immediately turned our guns on the parts they occupied. Fighting flared up inside the building. We sensed and heard the enemy soldiers' breath and footsteps, but we could not see them in the smoke. We fired at the sound. At night, during a short lull, we counted our ammunition."

http://www.war44.com/showthread.php?t=2057

200 "tommy gunners"?

200?

Against about 50 men?

Yeah I think we get it easy.

Upvote 0
Back to Topic:

Anyways, I wanted to come back into this thread to talk about the ties between RO:CA and RO:HoS:

Most of the people I see come into these forums and trashing all over RO2, are usually basing their views on what they experienced in RO1 and what made RO1 so great. They then go on about how Tripwire has lost their way and they should have just re-did RO1 with fancier graphics. They go on about how Trip should remove this, take away that, bring back this, stop doing that, etc.....

and then the wonderful justification of "I'm an RO1 Vet" as if somehow that makes them more of an expert on Red Orchestra, more than the Developers of RO or those who have been playing RO before RO1 existed.

People need to keep in mind that if all you have ever played of RO was RO1, then you're only getting a fraction of the overall picture of what RO was and is.

Red Orchestra did not begin and end with RO1, it began with a Mod for Unreal Tournament 2003.... very few people in these forums can say they have been following RO since the very start.

The point here is that the majority of the people at Tripwire didn't just come along into the RO scene after RO1 was released. Most of them have been on board with RO since day 1.... they have been around long enough to see what made RO for UT2k3, RO for UT2k4 and RO1 so great and so popular.

They also have been around long enough to see what caused problems for each incarnation of Red Orchestra.

Red Orchestra did not Begin and End with RO1 and RO1 is not the thing everybody should be swaying their judgement on.

It was the Mods that made Tripwire what it is today.... the Mods are what made RO what it is today.

In my humble opinion, Red Orchestra: Combined Arms was far more popular and turned more heads than what RO1 did. I knew of people who bought UT2k4 simply to just be able to play RO:CA.

I'm not even sure if there's a way anybody could calculate how many people played RO:CA at its peak compared to RO1 at its peak, but do remember the community was huge.

RO1 is just one of many other variations of RO itself and when you only base your views of RO2 to just RO1, you have a limited perspective to judge what RO could and/or should be.

Again, IMO..... RO1 went off into a different direction from where I personally wanted RO to go. There were more features and many more things going for RO1 that RO:CA didn't have.... but the atmosphere, the feel, the community, the tie between realism and an enjoyable FPS were all missing in RO1. There were a number of things I found that changed in RO1 that I was used to and I appreciated in RO:CA.

RO2 seems to have gone back to that direction RO:CA was taking..... as the thread title states: RO2 is a True Successor to RO:CA and actually interests me more than RO1 ever did.

I suspect that before RO2 was even started, the Devs looked back at not just RO1, but the RO mods as well..... they looked at what made each so great, they looked at the overall picture, not just one game out of three, and they made a platform for RO2 based on all three..... then moved forward with what RO1 should have been.

RO1 does have its unique features and gameplay, it does have playability, but for me, RO1 simply doesn't have the replayability that the Mod always had..... and I found myself wander off to other games & getting a little tired of RO1.

I would still be playing the Mod to this very day if there were decent servers where I live with decent pings.

Good post, I agree with what you say about some people who played RO1 having a chip on their shoulder.

I remember when I was playing the RO2 beta and got chatting about the history of the game - I mentioned some element of the game mechanic which had frustated me. It got heated and someone said something to me like "f***ing noobs, Ive been playing this game since RO:OST first came out, get used to it" - basically telling me everything I said was wrong because he'd been playing longer.

I politely informed him that if he wanted to start a 'who's been playing RO longest' willy waving contest that he'd lose, because I'd been playing RO since it's very first public release back in 2003.

He didn't say anything after that.

Reactions: Cpt-Praxius
Upvote 0
It seems that there are very few OP's that I've been agreeing with lately but I agree with Amerikaner completely. I don't visit the forums too regularly these days because I'm generally busy playing and having fun but it's nice to see someone with the same thoughts as me :D.

-Another brilliant post that I agree with. Just a question Cpt-Praxius; whats your Steam name and what servers do you usually play on because I think I may have seen you around before-

Just thinking about the zoom, personally I like the idea of it but feel it's too much, I can understand steadying your gun and holding it tighter but it really feels like I'm leaning over the gun instead. A little bit of scaling back would be nice because honestly I'm not seeing as many firefights as I would like.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I totally agree.
I couldn't really put my finger on it, but there always was something about RO:Ost that did bother me. Something that made me enjoy it less than RO:CA. I eventually got used to the changes in the game mechanics, but the feeling of the mod just wasn't there.
Playing RO2 now I find myself much more reminded of the mod days, which for me at least is a good thing.
Thanks for reminding me. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree as well, the foundations of RO2 are really solid. It's just the small but important details that need to be fine-tuned and the game will perfect. We all know what they are; rifle sway, weapon distribution, lockdown fine-tuning . . .

It's just TWI failing to adress these as "problems" is upsetting me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colt .45 killer
Upvote 0
Smart devs that have screwed up in more than one way with their release rarely tend to come out and explain themselves at length. (See: Brad Wardell for ones that decide to manage their PR first hand to see why it's a bad idea.)

Smart devs buckle down and work, quietly monitoring the forums, because nothing silences upset fans faster than results. Talking to them certainly doesn't calm them down much. And promising timelines, big lists of improvements and detailed minute by minute stuff usually just adds more fuel to the fire, instead of reassuring the perpetually unsure.

Reactions: AsoBit
Upvote 0