• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The game influences your speach.

RainbowCakez

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2011
Does this game influence the way you talk?

Ever since I got past 10 hours of Killing Floor, everytime I'm on the Mic now, where I'd normally say "Alright, let's head to the trader." I say "Time to go to the trader lads."
I find myself saying 'chaps' a lot too. When someone asks for money, a weapon, etc. I say 'Here you go chap.'
This normally lingers around an hour after I've played too, then I begin to speak normally.

I HAVE NEVER SAID CHAPS OR LADS IN MY ENTIRE LIFE UNTIL THIS GAME.

I say things the characters normally say a lot. I also said Money Money Money once to a friend as I was giving him money he asked to borrow. Since he used to play KF he thought it was hilarious.
Omaigawd I found myself doing that too. It's horrid when someone doesn't know the reference.

I was going to the shops and after a list was compiled of what we needed, I said to my mom "Spare us a bit of dosh lad." she looked at me wierdly for about 5 seconds and said "What?"
I took the money, went out the door and then realized what I'd just said, then facepalmed.

Upvote 0
I remember a story:

We were in school, math lesson. Our teacher didnt came. We were confused. Principal walks into our class, introduces our new math teacher. We were like:mad::eek::confused:. Something came into my head and i said to my classmate, who sits on the same desk. "Christ, she's ugly, for god's sake, dont let her scream!"

True story.

Reactions: Rainydaykid
Upvote 0
It's not really affected my speech that much; I already have a natural way with words.

Spoiler!

Upvote 0
believe me, English with a heavy Dutch accent it funny as hell.
I know - I've heard Ingmar?Sasquatch enough times :)

And, for the record, there is no singular of "chaps" - "chap" is NOT a word in English. So it would be better said as "here ya go, mate/pal/cock". Of course, if you want to feel truly Brit (and the person concerned is a good mucker) it would be "here ya go, cu^t". But we're just a tad rude like that.

Reactions: Dr. Paul
Upvote 0
I say things the characters normally say a lot. I also said Money Money Money once to a friend as I was giving him money he asked to borrow. Since he used to play KF he thought it was hilarious.
*At mcdonalds*
Friend: Hey can you spot me for a mcchicken?
Me: Dosh! Grab it while you can lads! *Wraps a dollar around a quarter and flings it at friend*
Friend: Dude, wtf?! *Strange look*

Omaigawd I found myself doing that too. It's horrid when someone doesn't know the reference.

I was going to the shops and after a list was compiled of what we needed, I said to my mom "Spare us a bit of dosh lad." she looked at me wierdly for about 5 seconds and said "What?"
I took the money, went out the door and then realized what I'd just said, then facepalmed.

One time, while playing basketball with some friends and regulars at a park near my house, one of my friends slipped and sprained his ankle. I tried to help him up but he insisted on trying to stand on his own.....

"Here."

"...Dude, I'll help you up"

"STAND STILL! DO I LOOK LIKE I'M NICKIN' STUFF?!?" *Grabs wrist and yanks*

Of course, that time, it was my friend who plays KF. So he got a good laugh out of it. The other people around might have thought they misheard whatever I said though. :p

Upvote 0

You do realize part of her confusion is that "lad" is for boys, right? Not just men, but boys. Lad is like saying boy. Lass is for girls and young women.

Upvote 0
You do realize part of her confusion is that "lad" is for boys, right? Not just men, but boys. Lad is like saying boy. Lass is for girls and young women.
'Lad' doesn't even exist here. At least, not in my town. Nor does 'dosh'
One time, while playing basketball with some friends and regulars at a park near my house, one of my friends slipped and sprained his ankle. I tried to help him up but he insisted on trying to stand on his own.....

"Here."

"...Dude, I'll help you up"

"STAND STILL! DO I LOOK LIKE I'M NICKIN' STUFF?!?" *Grabs wrist and yanks*
ahahahha.png

if you want to feel truly Brit (and the person concerned is a good mucker) it would be "here ya go, cu^t"
I'll avoid that thanks... Aboriginals say that a lot here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So it would be better said as "here ya go, mate/pal/cock". Of course, if you want to feel truly Brit (and the person concerned is a good mucker) it would be "here ya go, cu^t". But we're just a tad rude like that.

Yeeah, sounds about right in terms of British banter. It gets even more amusing up t' north. Maybe a bit bad that I already talk like that in some ways, eh?

Upvote 0