• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Bolt Action Vs. Semi Auto Rifle

I almost always prefer semi-autos over all other weapons unless I have no choice or bored with it. They have the best combination of accuracy, ROF, maneuverability, and versatility. The decreased accuracy and stability lost from bolt rifles rarely matter as most engagements take place within 200m - well within the effective range of semis.

Upvote 0
Pretty much except at extended distances.

Snozz, let this riddle you no more.

The way that gas-operated semiautomatic firearms work is this. When the firing pin hits the primer, the powder starts to burn. This emits pressure as gas wishes to expand behind the bullet, causing it [the bullet] to be pushed through the barrel. In a gas-operated semiautomatic firearm, some of that gas is siphoned, in a variety of ways depending on the firearm in question, to push the bolt back, eject the spent round, and load the next one in. Bolt-actions do not have to worry about that, that is what the free hand of the operator is for. They can utilize all of the gas to push the bullet out at a faster speed. You have to 'lead' the target more with the G43 sniper than with the Mauser high turret is simply because the K98's round is traveling quicker to the target.

Good explanation for those who don't know how weapons work (not including me!)
Bravo! :)

Bolt over Semi, but in StalingradKessel I'll take a semi, the Germans have plenty of advantage on that map so, a bit of extra fire power is much appreciated..

Upvote 0
The way that gas-operated semiautomatic firearms work is this. When the firing pin hits the primer, the powder starts to burn. This emits pressure as gas wishes to expand behind the bullet, causing it [the bullet] to be pushed through the barrel. In a gas-operated semiautomatic firearm, some of that gas is siphoned, in a variety of ways depending on the firearm in question, to push the bolt back, eject the spent round, and load the next one in. Bolt-actions do not have to worry about that, that is what the free hand of the operator is for. They can utilize all of the gas to push the bullet out at a faster speed. You have to 'lead' the target more with the G43 sniper than with the Mauser high turret is simply because the K98's round is traveling quicker to the target.

The force required to cycle the action is so minimal that it has no significant effect on the velocity of the projectile. You should see a bigger difference between rifles with vastly different barrel lengths (ex. m91/30 and m38) then you would two rifles with the same barrel length, one gas operated and one bolt-action.

Upvote 0
The semi-auto rifles are not accurate to a long range, for a very simple reason: they move around slightly when not supported. I do not know if it is some artificial balancing attempt or a bug, but it is surely annoying and UNREALISTIC.

Try it: get to a position where you have ironsights and the rifle is supported by something. The barrel will slowly move up and down making long range aiming very hard.
On maps that need long range shooting, this weapons is worse than a normal rifle.

for me, unscoped SVT-40 is the ultimate sharpshooting weapon.

Semi-auto snipers have ****ed up scopes, so its really difficult to say where bullet will hit.

Upvote 0
The velocity and accuracy of the round are both impacted in a semiautomatic rifle when compared to a bolt action with similar barrel lengths and the same round being fired. Always.

There may be an effect on the velocity, but again, it is too minuscule to actually notice like you suggest. Very little gas is needed to recock the action.

The negative effect in accuracy one sees in a semi-auto is due to the gas system (if present in that design) negatively effecting the harmonics of the barrel, and inconsistencies in the lock-up due to inconsistent force from the recoil spring closing the action and the necessary looseness that must be built in for reliable functioning.

Upvote 0
Dr Venkman,

I already knew about all that stuff. :) I was merely sharing my experience to let others know that with semi auto rifles (especially the sniper rifles) you have to lead people much more than with the bolt actions.

On most games every gun has the same relative ballistics. I was surprised and pleased to find out that the semi auto rifles have a lower m/s speed while in-game.

Upvote 0
After tons of use of both the Bolt Action and Semi Auto, I sadly have to say that the Semi Auto is far more superior. There accuracy and range is almost equal, and if you can shoot a guy with a Bolt, you can do the same with Semi. The Semi Auto is very powerful at close quarters combat. Recoil for the Semi Auto is huge, but it makes it up for there increadibly fast firing rate. Semi Autos inflict the same amount of damage as Bolt Action ones.

Upvote 0
Snozz, let this riddle you no more.

that's all well and good, however, the g/k-43 has a higher muzzle velocity than the k98 at 775m/s vs 745-755m/s of the k98.

further, closed bolt vs open bolt or auto recycling closed bolt is a non issue until you get around 500m at which time the fixed stationary closed bolt gains accuracy over an auto cycling bolt.

p.s. the g/k-43 was more used widely for sniper duty than the k98 in ww2. the germans preferred giving better weaponry to their more elite troops. snipers were considered elite and therefor got to pick their weapon of choice. this usually was the g43 or k43.

Upvote 0
Generally the semi-auto rifles were better to have in WW2 and they generally are in this game too. They may be very slightly less accurate but nothing that I generally notice. That's the point though. They're supposed to be better than the bolts. I like both, but I generally do better with a bolt just because with semi-auto rifles I seem to just shoot without carefully aiming. With a bolt, I'm (subconciously) more careful of my aim because I know if I miss I'm probably dead.

Upvote 0
If you notice in real life, the trend has been toward automatic weapons that are accurate to approximately 200 yds. This is because studies found that most infantry to infantry encounters occured at 200yds or less.

It was also found that when in a battle environment that putting more lead in the air to keep your opponents head down while another element manuvered against them worked better than fewer shots. It was determined that under battlefield type stress, only the highly trained sniper types actually kept any kind of cool about them most of us normal types didn't want to keep our head up long enough to get those prime shots. LOL, self preservation does kick in, your amount of training and loyalty to your mates just determines how soon.

Upvote 0
They can utilize all of the gas to push the bullet out at a faster speed. You have to 'lead' the target more with the G43 sniper than with the Mauser high turret is simply because the K98's round is traveling quicker to the target.

K43: 775 m/s (2,328 ft/s)

K98k: 745 m/s

via Wikipedia. You can question it, but they're both in the same small ballpark.

Typically majority of the inaccuracy is caused by the firing system itself. In a bolt-action rifle, pretty much only the firing pin moves. In most semi-auto, you've got the entire bolt moving, a whole lot of mass compared to the mass of the bullet, cartridge and powder. That changes things.

To a lesser degree, you're also typically cycling gas off from just one side of the barrel.

Speed has nothing to do with it.

Upvote 0
closed bolt vs open bolt or auto recycling closed bolt is a non issue until you get around 500m at which time the fixed stationary closed bolt gains accuracy over an auto cycling bolt.
So what you're saying is auto rifles weren't the best for long range sniping. Which contradicts your statement below.

p.s. the g/k-43 was more used widely for sniper duty than the k98 in ww2.
Where'd you get that fact? There's lots of reasons for snipers to use bolt action over auto such as: Not having a brass case go flying in the air for all the enemy to see, bolt rifles are much lighter than autos, more accurate, less parts to worry about breaking. I'd love to see a source that says the g43 was used more for sniping than the Kar.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So what you're saying is auto rifles weren't the best for long range sniping. Which contradicts your statement below.

Where'd you get that fact? There's lots of reasons for snipers to use bolt action over auto such as: Not having a brass case go flying in the air for all the enemy to see, bolt rifles are much lighter than autos, more accurate, less parts to worry about breaking. I'd love to see a source that says the g43 was used more for sniping than the Kar.

read up on snipers a bit more. unlike hollywood would have you believe, snipers don't commonly take extremely long distance shots. even gunny hathcock took most of his shots within 200m.

also, i typo'd, i meant to type 600m didn't notice. in ww2, 600m with a 4x scope was an exceedingly difficult shot. most 'sniper' kills in ww2 were well within 300m.

at the ranges most shots were taken, there is little to no accuracy differences between auto cycling closed bolt and manual cycling closed bolt. hell at those ranges modern open bolt blow backs are spot on if the shooter is skilled.

also, the g43 was abailable with 550mm and 600mm barrels. not common but did exist.

Upvote 0
read up on snipers a bit more. unlike hollywood would have you believe, snipers don't commonly take extremely long distance shots. even gunny hathcock took most of his shots within 200m.

also, i typo'd, i meant to type 600m didn't notice. in ww2, 600m with a 4x scope was an exceedingly difficult shot. most 'sniper' kills in ww2 were well within 300m.

at the ranges most shots were taken, there is little to no accuracy differences between auto cycling closed bolt and manual cycling closed bolt. hell at those ranges modern open bolt blow backs are spot on if the shooter is skilled.

also, the g43 was abailable with 550mm and 600mm barrels. not common but did exist.
Ok let's say most shots taken were well within the accuracy range of an semi-auto. That still doesn't mean the G43 was used more than the K98 for sniping. Maybe after 1943 there was a surge of snipers using it but if you add up the totals at the end of the war I'd say more snipers used the K98 (all those years before 1943 remember). So when you say the G43 was used more widely than the K98 that's where I think you're wrong.

Upvote 0