• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will we be seeing improved specimen spawning with the next update?

Benjamin

Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2009
France
Since seeing a group of clots appear out of thin air is a real atmosphere killer. I realise this has been talked about before but since we know there's an update coming up I wanted to remind TWI of this. I'm sure the spawning used to be decent until the last major patch broke it. Any plans to do anything about this?

Pretty please?

Side note: I'd like the specimens' landing sound to be temporarily disabled until they have already dropped to the ground after spawning, since that's also a bit bizarre. Surely can't be that hard to change but would make a difference.

Last edited:
That "cheap spawning" issue is really ridiculous. A hallway can be empty when you look at it, after three seconds there will be full of zeds. And seeing zeds pop up behind a light pole is just stupid.

I prefer increasing the number of zeds each wave if TWI really want to increase the difficulty. Dont just pop zeds up from thin air everytime you turn back.

Upvote 0
The way I understand it is that the spawning location and proximity is determined by the map and not just the spawning system.

For example: A mapmaker can choose to have a certain spawn location active when players are even within a few meters so that it appears like they just pop out of thin air.

Upvote 0
Well, I wasn't talking about the cheap spawning (although that is rather annoying) but the fact that zeds will spawn even when in the line of sight of a player, which I'm sure wasn't originally intended. It definitely used to be different.

I'd imagine what the game does (or tries to do) is picks a spawn location based on proximity to players and map settings, and if it's within a player's line of sight it uses another. It kinda seems like it does this still, only the LOS check seems to be for a specific point rather than covering roughly the area that the zeds are spawning in.

Upvote 0
Well, I wasn't talking about the cheap spawning (although that is rather annoying) but the fact that zeds will spawn even when in the line of sight of a player, which I'm sure wasn't originally intended. It definitely used to be different.

I'd imagine what the game does (or tries to do) is picks a spawn location based on proximity to players and map settings, and if it's within a player's line of sight it uses another. It kinda seems like it does this still, only the LOS check seems to be for a specific point rather than covering roughly the area that the zeds are spawning in.

As long as my remember, the spawning system is much more realistic when kf just come out. Use west london for example, if you run around the map, moving in and out of those two tunnels, there will be no zeds spawning at the tunnel you are in and the next corner. So when you turn around a corner, seeing nothing, turn back and fight some of the zeds, the empty hallways is still empty or several zeds is coming in at the far end.

But what is happening after the stupid spawning update is when you turn a corner, seeing nothing, turn back to fight some zeds, you are suddenly surrounded.

Upvote 0
The way I understand it is that the spawning location and proximity is determined by the map and not just the spawning system.

For example: A mapmaker can choose to have a certain spawn location active when players are even within a few meters so that it appears like they just pop out of thin air.

This.

Specimens pop out of thin air because the volumes are set to allow spawning even when players are close by. So, you could just walk behind a corner, turn back and see them spawn right on your face cause the game thinks you couldnt see there.

Its a shame rly, cause in Bedlam for example, you can see this happening constantly even tho there are tons of good spawns they could use instead, eg. the windows near spawn.

Upvote 0