• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Woes of a Prideful Medic

Kenero

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2009
/rant start

I won't lie about it, I enjoy being a medic. Hell, the idea of being a nurse is also a dream goal so it isn't a surprise that sticking needles where the sun don't shine is one of the most appealing aspects of Killing Floor that I really like.

That can also be seen in my gameplay that from wave 1 all the way to the Patriach stage that my perk never changes and I am always a medic. If one wants a deeper look, my Medical Perk is lv.6 while my others are 2+.

However being a medic isn't easy. Going away healing people using a combination of both the syringe and medic gun can get tedious and I'm sure all of you have had the pleasure of trying to aim with the bloody healing darts and people magically seem to know the exact time when you press the ALT fire and thus dodging the healing but my rant isn't about that, but rather the people involve.

As a medic, I don't care if you have 5 hp left or 95 hp left, by the end of the game, I will promise you, you will be more holey than a piece of cheese. I take pride in healing my teammates. If you get damage even by a single bit, I will heal you because that -single- bit may be the difference between life and death and as my job, I will keep you alive.

If a flesh pounder or scrake comes off to tear your pretty little head off, you can be sure that I will thrust myself between you two, use my pretty knife to get them to attack me while at the same time firing healing darts towards you in hopes that you get the bastard off my back before my armor wears off. However, not everything goes perfectly. Here are some of the few scenarios I will list:

1) The Brave/Foolish Hero

Every once in a while, some brave/foolish person decides that they don't want to work as part of the team and scours off.

First off, if you decide to be away from the team, that's fine. If you can handle it, all more power to you. I will -not- on any occasion (even if you're ontop of the scoreboard) leave 5 guys alone without a medic just to run across to the other side of the map to heal you just because you find yourself overrun. No, as far as I am concern, wherever there is a group of people is a medic's concern. If you go off, don't expect to be saved. That's the part of choosing to go solo.

Too many times some "hero" goes off and gets himself killed and whine on how I didn't save him and leave the others just because he has 200 kills and the next person only has 100 and that he is important more to the team.

No, just no. Especially on hard and suicidal difficulties, stick with us unless you're super pro, then why are you here with us if you're not willing to work as a team?

2) The Suicidal Fighter

Okay, medics aren't superheroes, sure we can keep you healthy but you yourself have to be able to judge the situation well to be able to survive. If you find yourself surrounded by 5-7 monsters at once, don't expect that my constant heals are going to keep you alive. Try to avoid situations that is hopeless.

If you think it is hopeless, then it probably is... I will do my job and see if you're in trouble, I will keep firing/stabbing you with my healing supplies in hopes that you survive. But I will tell you this. I have seen more people die in such a situation than live, so do so at your own risk!

3) The Kind Tanker

I am a sucker to reduce my teammate's damage. Although I love healing, I also don't want my teammates to suffer damage. Because the less healing I do, the more support fire I can give, taking out the sirens, crawlers, or clots that is crawling right behind your back. Whenever I see a Scrake or a Flesh pounder running, I will pull out my knife and stab them to get their attention. If they attack me instead, I will turn around and fire darts at you to heal any damage but please... for the love of all... kill that horrible thing fast.

I know that my armor is 75% better but once that's gone, it's gone. And it will go down fast. If I have a katana, I will try to stun lock the scrake to make it easier on both you and me but point is, to get rid of it fast.

I have been in situations after getting a scrake or flesh pounder to focus on me, the person in question, instead of trying to take down the scrake or flesh pounder infront of me, focus on killing the monsters around me xD

I appreciate the help but getting that flesh pounder/scrake off me is a #1 priority on the list. We can deal with the small fry later.

4) The Philanthropist Medic

As a Medic, especially at lv.6, I spawn with body armor and medic gun, I'm all set. Infact, every money I earn, after repairing and getting ammo, I donate ALL of my cash to my teammates. Especially early on during waves 1~4 (long war), I am satisfied with just my armor, medic gun, and enough to refill my ammo/grenade.

My thinking is that you guys are the damage dealers. If my money can help you get your big guns early on, it's fine. Take my money. I will be just content with my 9mm and medic gun early in the waves.

Once you get your big guns and everyone's all happy happy, I will use my own money to buy maybe a m79, a katana, or a hand canon, whichever is appropriate during the time. However, don't expect me to donate right away.

There was a time in which I died on the line of duty and I came back to the trader. One of my teammates demanded that I give him some money and I just gave him a weird look and told him, "Why the hell would you ask that question? I just died!" then he scoff saying I already had my medic gun and don't need anything else.

Arrogant much?

5) Perk Leveling

Yes yes, I know you have to do XX amount of damage to train your perk, but come on. Too many times have I tried to kill a crawler or even a clot before someone complains to me that I have been "kill stealing their training" from them. They get mad and say that my job is only restricted to healing.

Okay, I get it, I respect it, however... as a medic, not only is my job not only to heal but to -help the team- kill off any easy enemies. If I see three crawlers by your leg, expect me to kill them. If I see too many clots or sirens coming, expect me to pull out my hand canon or 9 mm pistol and fire their heads right off.

If you have any complaints, then focus on your own kills. If you have the situation handled, I won't attack but if I feel that you can't, I will step in. That's all.

-------

That's about it. I know that there are some evil medics out there who won't heal or wait until you're 25 hp or less before healing to get the maximum amount of points, but treat your healers well.

Especially in higher difficulties where 6 people at once (including yourself) are dropping hp like a mad man, it's not easy keeping up, especially if everyone is moving all at once.

If you have a decent to well trained medic on your team, be kind to them and make it easier for them to heal you and avoid situations that call for desperate healing.

On the flip side, if you have an evil medic on your team, maybe showing them a bit of "hell" might change their attitude. >>

/end rant

Well thats very true, And i enjoy playing as medic the most as well, as too
me it's the most Awarding (Normally get higher tier weapons off team-mates)

But the things about kills sometimes get that but not oftern. the soloer's i only get them with my Dart gun which is very Cheap at L5 and the people who keeping running about.

The one thing i do hate, is giving advice to lower level medics and they then go off and start swearing to high heaven at you.

Upvote 0
You do realize that stabbing a fleshie will NOT make it attack you but instead make it rage so it goes after its main target?
All you do is obstruct everyones view.
If you really want to be useful, get a crossbow and try to actually KILL those things FAST.
ALWAYS stay behind damage dealers, do NOT obstruct their view unless they have 5 hp left and you throw yourself in front of a gorefast that delivers the final blow... somehow.
However in most cases, you can heal them so fast that you don't need to block anything damage dealing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I always end up playing healers/priests/medics in games although since all classes can heal in KF, I ended up reaching level 4 medic without ever playing the medic class. As soon as I started playing medic... I found myself in similar situations to the OP.

I spend the first 6 waves keeping my team healthy and out of trouble with my trusty medic gun. Although ammo refills aren't exactly expensive, they're not exactly cheap either when I'm not scoring many kills. Around wave 6-7 I politely ask one of the other classes to buy me a weapon like the SCAR or m79, so I can dish out some damage as well as keep people alive. Of course I offer to give them the money I earned myself. I am told that I don't need a SCAR and that the only weapon I should be using is a medic gun... MAYBE a Xbow too. I am then told that all my team mates need my money to buy pipe bombs... as if they're not earning enough themselves.

And don't even get me started on those groups that leave you high and dry the second the **** hits the fan. Raging scrake/FP? Oh yeah sure kite them into the medic, he'll be totally fine... Oh wait he died? LOL stupid medic should have healed himself quicker!

Also: Why do so many players feel the need to constantly try and move in 6 different directions at once, while jumping and circle strafing? You think the sharpshooter needs good aim to score headshots? Try hitting the ADD morons with needles from the medic gun and tell me which class needs a better aim. :p

Upvote 0
I have to admit, whenever I see a Medic in game I'm skeptical. A lot of Medics I've encountered seem to be too good to heal anyone and just like the run speed and cheap armor which is extremely annoying, especially on the harder difficulties.

However, when I do play with a good Medic, oh my god it makes such a big difference. I'm not an idiot running around getting myself into trouble, but sometimes situations where you're clinging to life with like 12 hp left from a raging FP can't be avoided. Self-healing recharges slooowly, and even if your teammates heal you they can't just stop fighting entirely (not that they should). This is where a good Medic is invaluable.

So yes, in short, good Medics are awesome and thank you for not being an evil one.

Upvote 0