• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Squad Clans - Why did you join one?

trench

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Or why have you not joined one?

What is the benefit and the obligations of being in a clan?

RO now is kind of one big clan where everyone knows everyone, but
RO retail is going to be released to the public in near future and just was pondering these questions.....

My story, if I remember corretcly, was playing with some [-project.twilight-] guys, and we just got along quite well, so I was finally invited to join, without a prolonged "trial" phase or something loike that.
Now, with ups and downs (of even half year RO and pT breaks), I still enjoy being in the clan... which is also due to the fact that pT is not an elitist "pro-gaming" clan like seen in many other games, we rather play to have fun. Still, it is more fun when we win, so I am sorry for you other clans out there :D

Also an important thing is that there is no obligation other than the joy relationship to those guys. Though aceto likes when I pay a small part for our servers :D
Even when I vanished for half a year, I was warmly welcomed back.

But generally, the most important thing is that you get along well with all the members of the clan and that you fit in not only skill wise. Then, you won't feel any obligation, as you gladly take part.

Upvote 0
I attended a LAN with my mate who was in fullmj playing mohaa. Afterwards i joined (after gettin broadband) and then we picked up RO as a game.

The best thing by far is the comradeship, laughing at each other and helping each other out with all sorts of things. Its all great!

Best thing by far though is the clan matches (even friendlies) . Yesterday we won as allies on kessel versus 2M with 8 secs to go. Cant beat that feeling nothing comes close.

Edit:

The obligatory thing :p- if u want to join a clan or just find out more check out www.roladder.net

Upvote 0
worluk said:
DingBat found his female side recently? :p
lol

My clan simply grew out of friendship and playing fps together. we started playing MOH together, then CoD. After some months we thought other gamers should remember the guys that kicked their butts :rolleyes: , so we founded the
-=F.I.P.=- FunClan ("Ficken Im Park").
We are using TeamSpeak because talking to friends while playing makes it more funny.

that's all

Upvote 0
When I finally get to college next year I fully intend to join a clan. I really want the teamwork. Pubbing is fun but having played a few matches where people actually worked as a team (covering fire etc) was much more fun. Maybe having voice com actually work in ROO will help improve teamwork but clans seem to provide a more consistent and realistic experience.

Upvote 0
I finally joined one a while back during my stint in UT:TacOps (FBNOps for those that might remember.. they ran the 'KillYourCoWorker' server, very custom map friendly, and one of the guys ran the TOCenter)..

I joined because they are a good group of peeps, they are generally a mature (mostly older (ie: >20) bunch; more of a gaming social club, and not one of those 'you must make nn # of practices or your kicked off' clans..

.. plus I needed victims for my TO beta custom maps at the time :]

Upvote 0
I joined {Core} because i felt like joining a clan because pub RO just didnt have enough teamplay for me. RO back in 2.xx was more centered around teamplay because of the kind of players. Later when 3.0 was released that just stopped because of the inflow of new players who didnt like to teamplay as much. I had a trail of 1 month in a time when {Core} didnt want any new members(cant imagine that eh?) After that i just became a regulair member.

Upvote 0
I joined Factor VIII almost four years ago, haven't regreted a day of it. We are a bunch of older guys n gals (average age 30+) that like to get together on voice comms, have a few laughs and blow chit up, lol.
While we do have competition teams for those that are interested, it's not a mandatory thing, real life always comes first. One of the many things that drew me to Factor VIII to begin with.
But when we get serious and play as a team, voices comms n such, it just doesn't get any better, so much fun I couldn't do w/o it.

Many good friends I've made thru the clan, lasting friends, we are even getting a group of us together for the Mid Atlantic Air Museum and WWII show in Reading PA this summer. This trip promises to be so much fun as some of us have never met and we're all avid WWII nuts as well as loving the aircraft of that era (we fly IL2 lots too :) )

For those of you not in a clan or guild yet, it's really worth checking out, as the clan experience can and does enrich the gameplay and adds so much to the fun factor.
There are so many good clans in the RO community, something to fit everyones needs and likes and as always, the RO community is one of the best ever, good people all.

Six pack of beer: $7.00
UT2004 for RO the Mod: $10.00
Being able to frag friends and then taunt them on TeamSpeak... Priceless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
^Dee^ said:
I haven't been in a clan for ages because I'm sick of that league mentality that they are the say all end all of the gaming world.

Not to say that all clans are like this but it's certainly put me off them for the time being.
Lots of clans play for fun, having lots of friendly matches, and when they're not winning on the ladder, they still keep playing (I'm thinking of {Core} here - you did suck hardcore, then you got better, but they never gave up even when they were sucking, and they don't care too much if they don't win).
Sure, for some clans there is elitism and "we must win" (you can tell from the names of some clans), but not all are the same.
[o] is not a clan as such, but a bunch of guys who hang about together and play games, and they're not about winning leagues.
DBDUK for RO isn't even on any ladder, so they're not about that either.

Upvote 0