• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Good cheat protection and a ping limit option for serveradmins!

Steiner 86

Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2009
The community and me think that we need a good cheat protection and an option for the serveradmins to ping limit on the RO2 servers! I'm afraid that RO2 will be trash, such as CoD because of the cheaters ... :mad: :(

We all want to have fun with the game for a long, long time!!! Please! TWI! PLEASE! :eek:

ps: VAC is crap!!!

Last edited:
I can tell what you think of VAC has come from MW2, am I right? VAC is definitely not crap, it is meant to work with server admins, (cheater goes into a server, admin bans him, then later VAC bans him completely). There were no admins in MW2 so that is why it was crap in there.

About ping limits, this is an absolute no, if you have played ostfront then you would know you can play with high ping, I'm from Canada and I can play on the Russian server perfectly fine with 200 ping. RO2 is going to have amazing netcode like the first game so don't think the ping is going to work like how it does in other games where anything above 100 is ****. If there was a ping limiter then new players would come in (such as your self) and limit the ping without understanding the netcode and limit servers for no reason.

Reactions: Moyako
Upvote 0
Hahaha, yes Koschi it's me! The only true Steiner from the ABT.510 Kampfgruppe Clan! ;) :D

Okay bobsynergy (Fanboy of Half-Life, Steam and VAC ...) (your avatar picture has tell me) ;)

I'm sorry but VAC is crap! Even in RO: OST are a lot of cheaters and you can not do anything against them. :mad:

And the ping limit should be an option for the server admin. So if you want it you can set and activate it and if you do not want, you can disable this option. ;) You understand my point?

Please support me if you want to have no cheaters in RO2 like in CoD!!! Please! :rolleyes:
And I hope TWI will read this post! Thank you!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hahaha, yes Koschi it's me! The only true Steiner from the ABT.510 Kampfgruppe Clan! ;) :D

Okay bobsynergy (Fanboy of Half-Life, Steam and VAC ...) (your avatar picture has tell me) ;)

I'm sorry but VAC is crap! Even in RO: OST are a lot of cheaters and you can not do anything against them. :mad:

And the ping limit should be an option for the server admin. So if you want it you can set and activate it and if you do not want, you can disable this option. ;) You understand my point?

Please support me if you want to have no cheaters in RO2 like in CoD!!! Please! :rolleyes:
And I hope TWI will read this post! Thank you!

lol I simply have a Half Life avatar because it is one of my favorite singleplayer games of all time, it really has nothing to do with VAC since its singleplayer. I also have never seen a cheater in Ost atm, and I play a lot, I have had my 1 or 2 suspicious but never have seen an actual cheater. Yeah there might be cheats once RO2 comes out due to all the new players but as long as you have server admins to kick them before VAC bans them them then its fine.

RO2 will be exactly like Ost I suspect, where no matter what you will need steam to play so asking for no VAC really isn't an option, besides punkbuster causes tons of problems for the player most of the time and really isn't needed. VAC is excellent at what it does, it's system is better then banning cheaters as soon as they cheat, which then they can report that their hack is detected which will cause more cheaters, punkbuster is horrible and causes hundreds of problems while I never had any with VAC.

About the ping limit option, you arn't understanding it, there is no need for it, if your server is located in russia but your ping limit is 100 or 130 and I would like to play on it but I can't is dumb, as there is really no point because I wouldn't lag in the server at all and your now limiting people to join your server. If the Ost had a ping limit option then no one from North America would be playing right now as all the servers are located in Europe (besides TWB US server but this is really the only week where I have seen it populated, otherwise its always dead)

Upvote 0
Both Punkbuster and VAC have their pitfalls and problems, none of them are perfect solutions.

Fortunately though, TWI has never relied blindly on 3'rd party Anti-Cheat software like most developers do, but have allways actively worked with the community to kill off any hax that came along, if something pops up, TWI will make a micro patch to either the server or client to squash it ASAP.

If Trayarch/IW cared to do anything like that, CoD would not have all the problems it has, but they don't, and that's why CoD is a safe haven for hackers, aslong as they stay one step ahead of PB.

As for ping lockout, no, it is not needed, the UE3 engines netcode is very different from what you've seen in CoD.
The problem in CoD is that high-pingers can cause the server itself to lag, which means that just one person joining with a very high ping can ruin the server for everyone else, and this coupled with the "lag-compensation" system it uses, makes ping a serious issue in thouse games!

But this is not the case in UE3, a high pinger will have no effect on the servers, and since the netcode handles lag differently, and there is no "rubberbanding hitbox lag compensation" in place in Ro2, a high pinging player won't cause problems for anyone but himself, he'll have a hard time shooting anyone, but everyone else will play just fine.

Issues like thease are NOT readilly transferrable from one game and game-engine to the next, issues that exist in the CoD series are not nessesarily applicable to a different game on a different (and much newer) game engine.

Half the issues that exist within the CoD franchise exist for 2 reasons:

1: The franchise is nolonger aimed at the PC market, and Trayarch/IW have not done sufficient optimization for the game on the PC platform, and that includes security, the very fact that there exists readilly avalible .ini options that allows people to "tweak-hack" the game is testament to how they haven't taken the PC ports serious enough.
And since the Console versions don't require any real anti-cheat measures, and the PC is not their focus, they do little to nothing about it.

2: The CoD franchise is still running on the old Quake engine, all be it a modified build of it. Not only is this an old and outdated engine, but what's much worse is that id has long since released the Source-code for the engine, it is public knowledge, and that makes it very easy to create hacks for thouse games on an engine level, which can be very hard to detect and protect against.

None of thouse issues are applicable to TWI, Ro2 and the UE3 engine.

Reactions: bobsynergy
Upvote 0
*thinks he should win more ro matches than he usually does due to having more high-ping people on his team*

mind you, our team got steamrolled once on konigsplatz by a hungarian officer that actually knew what he was doing and kept up relentless arty :IS2:
What you're describing is not what I was referring to. ;)

Upvote 0
Nobody cheats in RO. For many many reasons. The game isn't popular enough, Communities are too tight knit for cheat systems to slip through. Then there's the fact that given the nature of ROOST's gameplay (projectile ballistics) cheating simply isn't practical, especially with the projectile lag. An aimbot will generally actually decrease the number of kills you get. Has anybody here every encountered a cheater in ROOST?

I actually find I get more kills when my cross-hairs aren't on the target due to recoil, so anything even remotely like an aimbot probably wouldn't work :p

Last edited:
Reactions: ViiKumi
Upvote 0
There are infact cheaters in RO i've only noticed people abusing glitches (falling below the ground and shooting up at people or their game glitching and giving them the wrong uniform) and i'd assume there are people who have used aimbots and things like that. That said i dont really think there has ever been enough people doing that sort of thing for it to be an issue(i only notice it once every 3-4 months at most) and really the best solution to having cheaters is just a good adim who actually goes on the server decently often.

also i would also be against ping limiting, my ping can spike every so often to 200-300 ms and it would be rather annoying to get kicked for that.

Upvote 0
First of all, I've been playing RO since the mod days (back in 2004) and only a handful of times over this ENTIRE PERIOD have I seen cheaters. So, no it's definitely not common.

Second, VAC is very effective at what it is intended to do -- ban cheaters after they have been reported. The reason this doesn't work in recent COD games is because 1) the developers of those games aren't very determined to stop hackers, and 2) many of the servers for these games don't have server admins and thus VAC can't work the way it is intended to work.

Punkbuster is just plain awful. Seriously -- most of the time it just makes non-hacking regular people (like me) miserable and unable to play games that I PAID FOR for no good reason. That program and its creaters deserve to be cast into a chasm of never-ending-pain for all of the countless hours I've spent reinstalling and troubleshooting games that were broken due to Punkbuster.

Upvote 0
There are infact cheaters in RO i've only noticed people abusing glitches (falling below the ground and shooting up at people or their game glitching and giving them the wrong uniform) and i'd assume there are people who have used aimbots and things like that. That said i dont really think there has ever been enough people doing that sort of thing for it to be an issue(i only notice it once every 3-4 months at most) and really the best solution to having cheaters is just a good adim who actually goes on the server decently often.

also i would also be against ping limiting, my ping can spike every so often to 200-300 ms and it would be rather annoying to get kicked for that.

That's not cheating that's exploitation. Exploitation is taking advantage of a flaw in the game, cheating is bringing third party cheat methods into the game.

I highly doubt you've seen an aimbot. Really it's not practical in the slightest. To develop an aimbot system that can variably lead targets and compensate for lag at the same time would simply be ridiculously hard, nobody would bother and the aimbot system itself would be ineffective in game, no more effective than simply shooting your target normally.

Upvote 0