• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Character DLC: Female avatars and new voices

Character DLC: Female avatars and new voices

• Yes, makes sense.

Votes: 159 75.4%
  • No!

Votes: 27 12.8%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 25 11.8%

• Total voters
I was also wondering about a black people models? We don't have any of them and I think it would be good to have at least one or two, considering that black society belongs to UK. Don't believe that all black people have died during the massacre

Horror Movie Rule #4
"The black dude dies first"
In this case, britains entire black population got wiped.

I'd realy like a survivor in a bloodied wedding dress !
Or a hillbilly Grandma with double shotty. Or maybe Mrs. Foster ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Or a hillbilly Grandma with double shotty.

granny-gun1.jpg

Upvote 0
What about a kitchen map pack that comes with the DLC?

:troll: I'd prefer minimum sexism on this thread, it decreases the chance of locking

The problem with introducing new voice sets is that all the voice sets will have to be loaded into active memory for the most part, so there will be a significant increase in memory usage here.

Just chiming in to show that there are some technical reasons we haven't jumped on this.

why didn't you tell us this earlier? I must ask though, still: if we supplied the models/animations, and even voices, would it be possible? Or does the usage outweigh any possible benefits?

And if it's female DLC, would it be everyone getting a memory loss, or just those who buy the DLC?

Upvote 0
:troll: I'd prefer minimum sexism on this thread, it decreases the chance of locking

why didn't you tell us this earlier? I must ask though, still: if we supplied the models/animations, and even voices, would it be possible? Or does the usage outweigh any possible benefits?

And if it's female DLC, would it be everyone getting a memory loss, or just those who buy the DLC?

I have mentioned that there are technical limitations to adding female models earlier (and yes, it would affect everyone). Among them the new rig and animation sets which would have to be loaded as well (another memory hit), an we couldn't even think about doing new first person weapons/hands (gigantic memory hit as each weapon would have to be reanimated and be loaded in).

But yes, we are always open to community made content if we feel it fits the scope of the game and meets the existing quality. We've talked about the possibility of doing a female character several times in house, but so far have not been able to commit to it.

Upvote 0
KF isn't a demanding game on any modern system. I can run it at 1600x1200 with the highest settings, full AA enabled, plus Vegas, phtoshop, Vue and several other memory intensive programs open and I run it just fine. Maps load very quickly, and I'm working with slightly less than 3.5gig or ram due to XP's ram limitations.

Granted I've got a quad core CPU but if I can still render a big scene in Vue and manage to play KF without a single drop in fps then imho the memory issues are being exaggerated a bit. :p

Upvote 0
I was also wondering about a black people models? We don't have any of them and I think it would be good to have at least one or two, considering that black society belongs to UK. Don't believe that all black people have died during the massacre :D

We already have a black character. I'll give you a hint: He has a septum piercing and was introduced in the Postmortem pack. ;)

As for performance, I have a computer from 2006 and I can still run the game in 1440x900 (albeit on lower settings), how much of a performance hit would one pack of female characters be estimated at?

Upvote 0
I read this is was a wonderful idea all though haveing players pay just to have a female player/avo to play as. I'm all for adding more content such as this though i would wonder who would be the voice actor would sound like :)

I'd vote for someone like Julie Andrews... to kinda serve as the Mary Poppins to Killing Floors Bert the Chimney sweep type voices :)

Upvote 0
What if all specimens equal the trader?

You can then avenge all your past sorrows by decapping her 112 times!

And then replace the Trader with Shawn Connery (and not the naked zombie version from 'Samurai Zombie Nation'), and you have our most popular DLC ever:D

I can just see it now a wave clears and with shawn connery's voice " come get your wepons ladies and gentlemen" the idea poped in my head when i read this i laughed so hard. :D

Upvote 0
I'm all for this, as long as the females don't come out as panzies, or have a skirt/dress on.
"New character added; Female"
And then Killing Floor went into darkness, where no player would shoot the specimens, but rather, keep trying to look up the female characters skirt.

Happens all too much in games.

But, I enjoy the people of this community who are actually suggesting characters that wear pants and have an tough/fighting spirit. The person who suggested Goth would even be fitting (In my opinion)

But to the question (Since I'm not familiar with the game's character stories); I can't help but notice that most of the characters are in an 'army/military-esque' type appearance. Did the military drop off the soldiers to fight the specimens? People of authority and/or gun training, fight too - As evident from Captain Wiggins.
I'd always assumed that Kevo, Chopper and Reverand were Mercenaries; Paid by the military to assist in the specimen outbreak.
-- But I have no clue if that's even right... If it is, then adding a female character like the Goth; She'd have to be an Mercenary.
Cause sure as heck, a female character wearing a Princess Gown doesn't make sense...

timur said:
Why the real girls in all those games go for the male chars; because represnting a gender with incredibly whoreish chars is more disrespectful than not representing it at all.
+Rep for you.

Funnily enough, in such events you may as well assume that the person playing female is male, and the male is female. I can name one game where it was exactly like this...

Upvote 0
I have mentioned that there are technical limitations to adding female models earlier (and yes, it would affect everyone). Among them the new rig and animation sets which would have to be loaded as well (another memory hit), an we couldn't even think about doing new first person weapons/hands (gigantic memory hit as each weapon would have to be reanimated and be loaded in).

Most people who use Steam have 4GB of system memory & 1GB of video memory.

Over 90% of Steam users have 2GB or more of system memory.

Over 75% of Steam users have at least 512MB of video memory.

Killing Floor's requirements "recommend" 1GB of RAM & 128MB of VRAM.

Therefore, memory usage will not be a problem for the vast majority of people.

I've bought all the DLC for Killing Floor.

I wouldn't mind it if new voices & female character models were DLC.

I would really like to see new voices & female characters added to Killing Floor.

references: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
http://store.steampowered.com/app/1250/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Most people who use Steam have 4GB of system memory & 1GB of video memory.

Over 90% of Steam users have 2GB or more of system memory.

Over 75% of Steam users have at least 512MB of video memory.

Killing Floor's requirements "recommend" 1GB of RAM & 128MB of VRAM.

Therefore, memory usage will not be a problem for the vast majority of people.

I've bought all the DLC for Killing Floor.

I wouldn't mind it if new voices & female character models were DLC.

I would really like to see new voices & female characters added to Killing Floor.

references: [url]http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey[/URL]
[url]http://store.steampowered.com/app/1250/[/URL]
Well, think of it this way, if you can play UT2k3 or 2k4 without a problem, then KF would play even better. In 2k4 you have multiple factions with both male and female models, each faction has a unique weapons hand/voice/model and that game is not a system hog by any means. It's basically the same engine, so you can expect similar performance, and probably better performance in KF since there's less assets to load per map, even if there were female player models. Unreal Engine 2/2.x had decent memory management and cpu scaling wasn't the greatest but it was there. I've seen some incredible stuff done with that version of the engine, besides, the kf mod was made on it. You could even play as a stalker in it. :p

Upvote 0
@thundermitty
Take into account that the survey was optional and isn't necessarily representative of owners of KF, and TWI probably has a better idea of their customers. Besides, even if TWI was wrong in this reasoning (which I highly doubt), there are various other issues with adding female characters.

Oh, and just because you are ok with paying for female DLC, don't think that there won't be a ton of people complaining that male characters are free, but you have to pay for female ones.

@jd641
Epic games built the engine, so it's a given that they can get it to work optimally and KF has to also support all the specimen. And it's not necessarily an issue of it not running, but not running as well as it previously had.

Last edited:
Upvote 0