• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Advertisements

Another problem with TV advertisement is, you can't highlight a lot of the features that make ROHOS stand out in a 30 second spot.

In a TV advertisements you generally do not wish to say everything something got. You generally got one line of text you try to show through the add.

TV Adds are there to make the name known more than the product generally, just that if someone eventually stumbles upon buying a new game they have heard of the title already. So they will perhaps read the back of the box or check a trailer online if they stumble upon the game just because they have heard about it from somewhere.

One thing TWI for instance could play around with is the fact that its a exclusive PC title with PC features. But it would be hard to find a correct channel demographic for that. In general I think that for ROHOS something like focus groups would work nicely, basically word of mouth advertising but then actually somewhat controlled and directed by the pr department of TWI, using the free will of legions of fanboys. Its something NVIDIA has been using on for instance on hardware oriented forums, and basically paying their focus members with hardware. As people often come there to ask about for instance what new computer they should buy, and trust forum goers more than salesman.

And for me its somewhat the same with games, I generally do not bother to look out for new games that much, i'm more likely to buy a game someone really recommends on a forum or by a friend than something praised to heaven in reviews or getting loads of add time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In a TV advertisements you generally do not wish to say everything something got. You generally got one line of text you try to show through the add.

TV Adds are there to make the name known more than the product generally, just that if someone eventually stumbles upon buying a new game they have heard of the title already. So they will perhaps read the back of the box or check a trailer online if they stumble upon the game just because they have heard about it from somewhere.

True. But still, when was the last time you saw a TV ad for a PC only FPS title?

Upvote 0
True. But still, when was the last time you saw a TV ad for a PC only FPS title?

Never, then again I cant really remember seeing any game adds. Beside dragon age and cod wm2 in a program on discovery that was sponsored by them.

I think that the issue with tv adds as stated that the finding the right place and demographic is kinda tricky. I mean how many of the people watching the tv would be of the group considered possible buyers of ro hos.

Even if ro want's to work for a bigger demographic it being a pc game still limits it from being casual where TV probably works best. Heck for killing floor 2 I would expect to see tv commercials more likely than with ROHOS.

Upvote 0
With the onslaught of twitch shooters like Modern Warfare in the past couple of years, I think people are more excited for a realistic, slower-paced FPS.
I just think there's always aniticipation for "more" (whatever the "more" is).

I'm still interested in the COD/MW/BF type FPS games too. They're like dumb blondes you can get all infatuated with for awhile. As long as these games keep releasing every year or so, there's all likelihood their "more" will continue to attract and sell well.

RO2 will be "more" also. It has to be more in graphics, animation, AI, etc., in areas just like the other twitch titles strive to improve. Where RO2 looks to be more and new in a different way (besides it's non-twitch/realism gameplay approach), is its new simulation-like tanking feature, and its "wargaming" component (the multi-map campaign system).

I'd also advertise in popular wargaming print magazines (send copies for reviews), and on wargaming sites where TWI can approach gamers who are already fans of battle-gaming. These are hobbyist where a new customer base might come from, including tank sim fans too.

Most military FPS gamers have, or will already know about RO2's release when the time comes. I believe it'll be the sim/battle features that distinguish RO2 as an excitingly different "FPS" product.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We don't need advertising in the traditional sense. There are plenty of studies that suggest viral marketing, while ridiculously inexpensive, can have the same ROI as a marketing firm in NYC can do with millions.

Plus, advertising cost are always passed off to the consumer.
+1, Tripwire, join up with youtube and get this game on the front Page, Its unbeleivable how much sales can be attributed to youtube, Get trailers and gameplay vids up, but if you want them on the front page your going to have to use adwords I think, and join up with the youtube partner program.

Like when I am buying a game the first place I go is youtube, for a review and a gameplay video. That is the best website for getting the word out.

Upvote 0
never, then again i cant really remember seeing any game adds. Beside dragon age and cod wm2 in a program on discovery that was sponsored by them.

I think that the issue with tv adds as stated that the finding the right place and demographic is kinda tricky. I mean how many of the people watching the tv would be of the group considered possible buyers of ro hos.

Even if ro want's to work for a bigger demographic it being a pc game still limits it from being casual where tv probably works best. Heck for killing floor 2 i would expect to see tv commercials more likely than with rohos.

history international!

Upvote 0
:rolleyes: at G4. It's great that they're taking interest in the game, but if they give it a good review, it will only show how terrible their review process is, given their terrible review for RO:OST, which at its core is the same game (right?). Seriously, it got 2/5 stars basically because the game was too hard for the reviewer.

Who gives a f*** about G4 anyway. They are all retarded with the most annoying hosts of all time.

Upvote 0
A Brit friend of mine refers to the History Channel as the "Hitler Channel"
Just thought I'd share...

In the US the "regular" History channel plays nothing but stupid reality shows, History International plays old reruns that are actually about history.

So yeah most Red Orchestra fans are people with atleast some kind of an inerest in history.

Reactions: PNV
Upvote 0
+1, Tripwire, join up with youtube and get this game on the front Page, Its unbeleivable how much sales can be attributed to youtube, Get trailers and gameplay vids up, but if you want them on the front page your going to have to use adwords I think, and join up with the youtube partner program.

Like when I am buying a game the first place I go is youtube, for a review and a gameplay video. That is the best website for getting the word out.

A lot of people here can upload RO2 vids to their accounts.

RO flood. :IS2:

Upvote 0

I look for reviews and in-game video before I make the call on buying the game off of Steam. I almost got sucked into the hype monster's mouth when everyone was talking up OFPDR. Thank god for Youtube or I would have been one of many that bought the game and hated it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A lot of people here can upload RO2 vids to their accounts.

RO flood. :IS2:
yeah, I know people will, someone just made a fanpage, but if you want massive view ya gotta pay for them, but its not a serious lot like tv, look at the retards that's on the front page of YT, they are there to make money too with their ads popping up, they target young children mostly. But the point is, any fan made vids will help but just look at the COD team, they have a YT channel, imagine how many people are subscribed to them and see a new trailer and buy the games, its amazing. I really think tripwire should be uploading vids to youtube and get them views up, get them on the front page of gaming or whatever, more targeted views = more $.

I look for reviews and in-game video before I make the call on buying the game off of Steam. I almost got sucked into the hype monster's mouth when everyone was talking up OFPDR. Thank god for Youtube or I would have been one of many that bought the game and hated it.
Yeah Hans, it is the best place for judging a game, I judge a game for myself by looking at a gameplay vid, cause a lot of these reviews are based on money, eg COD MW2 given a 9.5, what a joke that was.

Upvote 0
Lol seriously? :confused: wtf
So you mean that if you reach a certain number of views you need to pay for the account? :rolleyes:
No, I mean if you want a rapid no of views quickly, get the vid on the front page, that fan page is only going to get a few thousand a month because, none of those videos are featured on the front page or they are not promoted videos. How the hell do you think the Orabrush got so many views? It wasn't by a few people watching it every month. It was promoted, it was just advertising, on youtube, the only videos that get extremely high views on youtube is the viral ones, the ones uploaded by people with hundreds of thousands of subscibers, or the ones that are promoted.

Upvote 0