• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Seeing through Smoke

While it depends on where you are inside the smoke- as in some areas with lighting and density of the smoke- you can see a vague shape-

I have gotten a few kills through the smoke... I also tend to shoot rounds into it if I am sure it is enemy smoke- especially with Heavy MG- gotten a few kills like that and no I did not see anyone.

It also depends on the elevation of the player shooting at you.

However.. I have indeed felt some odd deaths while running in smoke.

Upvote 0
I've seen people through smoke on multiple occasions, not like super obvious but sometimes you can see silhouettes through the smoke. My guess would be because the smoke seems to be multiple floating 2d texture planes and when they stand in between them it seems to create a silhouette. I've seen this happen more often when I was actually standing in the smoke myself. Sometimes you can see silhouettes of people in the smoke with you or people approaching it. That might be intentional but I doubt being able to see people's silhouettes running through it when you are looking at it from a distance is intentional. I would imagine volumetric smoke would not have this issue, but I could only imagine the bickering about performance if they used volumetric smoke...

"STOP THROWING SMOKE IT LAGS"
"BAN THAT GUY HE'S USING SMOKE"

:IS2:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just please remember to not jump to conclusions too quickly after getting shot through smoke. Yes, there are people abusing issues currently, but getting kills through smoke isn't hard.

Last time I played I got 5 people through smoke, 3 of them head shots.

Why did I hit them? Because there was a cloud of Smoke blocking my way toward where I knew the enemies were attacking from. So what did I do? I unloaded 15-20 rounds through the smoke. Pegged three in the head, and got two others. And that was with a bolt action. Think of what a pair of machine gunners could have done.

So, please remember. Smoke is Not a brick wall. Do not expect it to protect you like one.

This.

Smoke is concealment with double edged feature. Good side is well, your specific position is concealed. Bad side is, your general position is not.

Of course those instant head shot through smoke with bolt action rifle is probably some sort of lame cheating, but just wanted to give props to this insightful post.

Upvote 0
This.

Smoke is concealment with double edged feature. Good side is well, your specific position is concealed. Bad side is, your general position is not.

Of course those instant head shot through smoke with bolt action rifle is probably some sort of lame cheating, but just wanted to give props to this insightful post.

Yeah, you also have to consider WHERE you are while you're running through smoke. The other day I got called a cheater for constantly killing people that I "Couldn't possibly see", because they were "Hidden in Smoke".

How did I kill so many people in that area when they used smoke? I kept shooting at the One doorway in the smoke. I knew where the doorway was, so whenever they popped smoke in that area, I kept firing my bolt action rifle as fast I could at that doorway. It was the only way the enemies could enter that area,... Therefore I didn't have to see them to know that eventually one of them would occupy the same location as one of my bullets at the same time.

Upvote 0
Want to spot a hacker from a mile away?

I agree that there is definitely something wrong with the smoke, but I would also like to point out that you really shouldn't be lying in smoke anyway. In the real world, you have to breathe, and that smoke is pretty toxic. If you spent any time in it, you'd be coughing and spluttering.

People use smoke wrong. Say I was camping that objective, I would be looking at it to see where all the potential hiding places are. If smoke goes off, I start firing at the spots I know people will run and hide to try and cap. Some of these spots are so commonly used, you can just about get blind head shots just by shooting the same place over and over again.

When you use smoke, what you want to do is put it on the enemy's position, not yours. Make HIM cough and splutter and blind, while you can see clearly in the fresh air. If he tries to come forward out of the smoke, then he will by silhouetted by the smoke and easy to kill. In other words, if you smoke your own position, you are doing to yourself what the enemy would like to do to you. Not too smart really.

As I said though, I have noticed this myself, but when I notice it, it's when I have run around the corner of a building that is totally smoked out and get head shot from a person some distance away. It's one thing to guess where a stationary target's head may be, it another thing altogether to do it when the person was running at full sprint, and had never been visible prior to the shot, even without smoke.

Upvote 0
Have you ever heard of money? If you have, then you know this logic is faulty. :)

Meh,

I am lucky to have a little bit more financial freedom now than I used to in my life, but back when I didn't, if a game didn't run well on my computer, I wouldn't play it, rather than demand that other people change the way they play games. I would play an older game that did, until I had saved up enough money for a decent upgrade.

Upvote 0
well no stat tracking doesn't seems to stop hackers on counterstrike. :(

Yup. Hacker's couldn't care less if there was stat tracking or not. They're there for:

1. Griefing;generally being a d-bag
  2. They have no sense of pride in actually accomplishing goals through their own will power/guts/determination; and were probably the kids screaming "I don't care about learning, just give me the answer" in school (also read this entire section as "No self-confidence")
  3. Showing how 'good' they are by having 10x the number of kills as everyone else (especially if stat tracking is turned on)
  4. All of the above.
I actually took a long break from online FPSs because I was sick of all the blatant hacking, that and spending half of each game dead because of getting shot the second I peaked around a corner - or being bored because I had to hide to avoid getting killed.

But, back on topic slightly - I certain don't immediately call hacker if I die in smoke. I always evaluate the circumstances: Was I running into a funnel situation? Was it an apparent lucky shot, or suppression fire?

When it is none of these, and in fact, as I originally described, almost impossible for me to be seen, and the shot too exact - then I question.

Upvote 0