• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] IL2 sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Press Release/Video

NoxNoctum said:
You crazy. Evidently haven't been following it now have you?

Not really, since most of the info I've heard has been that it's in WIP state and maybe few random screens once in a while.

NoxNoctum said:
Oh and what the hell is wrong with a high speed action game trailer??? Would you prefer 3 minutes of a spit, taxiing, taking off and gaining altitude? lol.

Because it feels quite inconsistent? I was expecting pieces out of major air raids, interceptions and slightly more coherent (also possibly slighty slow-paced) parts rather than "IN YOUR FACE! BOOM ENGINE HEADSHOT! BOOM ANOTHER ENGINE HEADSHOT! PLANE GOING DOWN! HOLY **** MORE BURNING ENGINE HEADSHOTS! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" :p

Compare it to the idea of a Combat Mission game having a trailer where all you see is a single soldier taking out entire platoon on its own. Sure it might demonstrate some crazy **** that just might happen IRL but it would be ridiculous aswell :p

Upvote 0
Oh and what the hell is wrong with a high speed action game trailer??? Would you prefer 3 minutes of a spit, taxiing, taking off and gaining altitude? lol.

It's a nice trailer, but like most trailers for sim-games it's not really representative of the gameplay on the whole.

Anyway, it's about damn time. I preordered Storm of War from play.com about 3 years ago, and because of the name change they've cancelled my preorder. Now I have to pre-order again when they get it up again...

I'm glad there are less aircraft (like HockeyWarrior), it's painfully obvious a lot more work has gone into them though so :IS2:

Upvote 0
Compare it to the idea of a Combat Mission game having a trailer where all you see is a single soldier taking out entire platoon on its own. Sure it might demonstrate some crazy **** that just might happen IRL but it would be ridiculous aswell :p
This isn't a logical comparison. In Combat Mission, a trailer like that would be truly ridiculous given that it would make a strategy game look like an action game, or certainly not something realistic.

This trailer, though attempting to be flashy, does actually show you doing things you do all the time in combat flight sims, especially IL2 -- shooting down planes. I mean, how can you knock a combat flight sim for having a trailer that shows planes shooting down other planes? Would you rather have it that they were missing the majority of the time? I'm a tad confused.

Reactions: NoxNoctum
Upvote 0
This isn't a logical comparison. In Combat Mission, a trailer like that would be truly ridiculous given that it would make a strategy game look like an action game, or certainly not something realistic.

It might not sound that logical at first glance, but last time I checked 1940s air combat wasn't all about flashy scenes that looks like 1on1 duels with extreme sniping in angles that ignites the fuel just whenever the pilot gives a nasty expression to the gunsight, which makes it look like flashy action game rather than what you would probably expect in a game that goes for more realistic. Sure once in a while such cluster****s happened, but considering the Battle of Britain had more importance on group actions rather than constant sniping duels it's quite silly to look at.

Putting it less stupid way, while the whole purpose is to be flashy I have the impression I am watching Hollywood trailer for a movie called Generic WW2 Air War Action Drama Now With Love Dodechaedron (aka enhanced Pearl Harbour) that looks ok and it has tons of fame behind it, but I am undecided whether I should really laugh about it or really ask what the hell they were thinking. ;)

Sure it's probably going to be that awesome, but it certainly makes it look pretty cheap. Something along the line SheepDip mentioned.

Upvote 0
It might not sound that logical at first glance, but last time I checked 1940s air combat wasn't all about flashy scenes that looks like 1on1 duels with extreme sniping in angles that ignites the fuel just whenever the pilot gives a nasty expression to the gunsight, which makes it look like flashy action game rather than what you would probably expect in a game that goes for more realistic. Sure once in a while such cluster****s happened, but considering the Battle of Britain had more importance on group actions rather than constant sniping duels it's quite silly to look at.

Putting it less stupid way, while the whole purpose is to be flashy I have the impression I am watching Hollywood trailer for a movie called Generic WW2 Air War Action Drama Now With Love Dodechaedron (aka enhanced Pearl Harbour) that looks ok and it has tons of fame behind it, but I am undecided whether I should really laugh about it or really ask what the hell they were thinking. ;)

Sure it's probably going to be that awesome, but it certainly makes it look pretty cheap. Something along the line SheepDip mentioned.
I agree with you that the way that the gameplay is portrayed in the trailer doesn't truly reflect the nature or maturity of the game. That said, your hypothetical Combat Mission comparison was waaaaay too extreme to be applied to this case, because its hypothetical trailer's content didn't accurately reflect the actual content of the game.

In IL2's case, it wasn't the content of the trailer, but the way it was portrayed that seemed off-putting. And I'd agree with you to an extent.

Then again, they know they have a very large and loyal audience audience who know who IS going to buy the game no matter what. If they have to make the trailer a bit Michael Bay-like to possibly peak the interest of some new players, then I think it was a smart move. It's a better decision, imo, than making a really bland trailer that makes the game look like a super-historically accurate stuffy sim (which we all hope it will be) which would potentially scare away potential new customers just on the grounds of a boring trailer.

Anyone who knows anything about the IL2 series is not going to be put off by a slightly over-done flashy trailer. And by comparison, this trailer is nothing compared to some of the super-overdone trailers out there for video games these days.

So basically in short, we all know it's going to be a fantastic and detailed sim. The trailer might be a tad explosion-filled but that's marketing for ya, and I'd wager that the benefits of such a move outweigh the negatives.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Unfortunately, there's an Elephant in the room, and it's that blasted UBI logo..

I've been looking forward to this game since it was first hinted at, even before it was announced, but UBI's recent actions may just mean i can't bring myself to buy it :mad:
UBI's recent actions? You mean with other games?

Ubisoft published the first IL2 ... I see no reason why they wouldn't publish the new one. And I'd rather fund Ubisoft (lesser of three evils) than EA or Activision, though I care more about games than their publishers.

Upvote 0
UBI's recent actions? You mean with other games?

Ubisoft published the first IL2 ... I see no reason why they wouldn't publish the new one. And I'd rather fund Ubisoft (lesser of three evils) than EA or Activision, though I care more about games than their publishers.

UBI's new DRM scheme, look it up, there's a huge thread about it here on the forum, and it created a plenty big ****storm all over the internet.

If they put that crap on this game, then i can't buy it with a clean concience (i do not want to support such buisness practices with my money).

Upvote 0
UBI's new DRM scheme, look it up, there's a huge thread about it here on the forum, and it created a plenty big ****storm all over the internet.

If they put that crap on this game, then i can't buy it with a clean concience (i do not want to support such buisness practices with my money).

I read at the 1c forums that UBI has said that this game will be activated & registered when you first install it and WILL NOT require a full time internet connection to play it. I think they are backing off a bit from the drm we see with Silent Hunter 5 and Wings of Prey. At least I hope so.

Upvote 0
*slaps everyone in thread*
My I remind you for your own good that UBI has their hands on this now. No getting your hopes up, no pre buying, no first day buying, and no trusting all the rave reviews.

That is all.

.... ( ok I am interested in this game also... damnit..)

There's not been a single word about UBI being involved until now, and the project has been in development for quite some time about 6+ years, since then UBI has gone from a PC publisher to more of a console publisher.

This does however not affect anything game related except the name and marketing, the DRM is already known to only require internet activation and thats it, besides could you blame them in a time like this in a niche market like this on a PC only game? (no).

There is simply no way in hell that Oleg and 1c lets UBI turn this into something else, especially not when its only got about 1 more month of development before the initial release.. trust me that it will be epic and its defiantly worth a day 1 buy and preorder(support our last standing great PC devs ;)).

This isn't your Assassins Creed or Callofduty-wannabe, UBI doesn't have those rights, and its a PC exclusive as well with a large emphasis on realism and historical accuracy. I am actually quite surprised myself to see UBI even take this investment on since they've gone console casual land lately, but they did indeed publish the original titles back in the day.

Last but not least someone mentioned the action in the trailer, dude this is a flight sim , the action is simply a way to display a good trailer.. this isn't wings of prey and if you've been following the game you should know that this is the real deal with advanced FM,DM,MISSIONS,DISTANCES,SOUNDS,ACCURACY,REALISM etc etc it will blow anything else out of the water in the flight sim genre :)

Cheers

Last edited:
Upvote 0

This trailer, though attempting to be flashy, does actually show you doing things you do all the time in combat flight sims, especially IL2 -- shooting down planes. I mean, how can you knock a combat flight sim for having a trailer that shows planes shooting down other planes? Would you rather have it that they were missing the majority of the time? I'm a tad confused.
werd to the motherf***cking werd son.:IS2:

Upvote 0
It might not sound that logical at first glance, but last time I checked 1940s air combat wasn't all about flashy scenes that looks like 1on1 duels with extreme sniping in angles that ignites the fuel just whenever the pilot gives a nasty expression to the gunsight
Uh... WRONG! Online at least I probably see 33% of the planes I shoot down explode/go on fire (rather than just a wing come off or engine die or pilot kill)... oh ya and a lot of those kills are angle shots since most people aren't stupid enough to fly straight while you're shooting at them (unless they've got a massive speed advantage)

You really don't get it dude... the trailer shows EXACTLY what players are going to be doing. Because no one who's any good and has a decent internet connection will be playing singleplayer :rolleyes:

It's time for you to watch some gun cam footage my friend:

YouTube - Dramatic WW2 Gun Camera Footage
YouTube - WW2: Gun Camera Footage of P-47
YouTube - WWII Gun Camera

Check out 3:08 of the second vid especially. It's very very gamey looking. Hope they change that in the game... so unrealistic :rolleyes:

The last vid has the most plane-on-plane confrontations (which you'll notice frequently end up with the target exploding or bursting into flames), but is in B&W unfortunately.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I read at the 1c forums that UBI has said that this game will be activated & registered when you first install it and WILL NOT require a full time internet connection to play it. I think they are backing off a bit from the drm we see with Silent Hunter 5 and Wings of Prey. At least I hope so.

I really hope you are right, a one time auth durring install i can live with (even if i'm not happy with it, i do worry if i can install the game again many years from now because of it), but if it turns out anything like the rest of UBI's games, where you must at minimum auth every time you launch the game, then that'll be a deal breaker.

At any event, i won't get it on release day, i'll wait for confirmation that the DRM is only involved when installing (i'm not taking UBI's word for it).

Uh... WRONG! Online at least I probably see 33% of the planes I shoot down explode/go on fire (rather than just a wing come off or engine die or pilot kill)... oh ya and a lot of those kills are angle shots since most people aren't stupid enough to fly straight while you're shooting at them (unless they've got a massive speed advantage)...

Ohh relax, his problem seems to be with the fast paced editing of the vid, not so much the content.

And i'd agree with him, i think that vid would benifit from not having an explosion or gunfire go of every 3 seconds, by all means show us some action, but there is such a thing as juxtaposition.. ;)

Upvote 0
I really hope you are right, a one time auth durring install i can live with (even if i'm not happy with it, i do worry if i can install the game again many years from now because of it), but if it turns out anything like the rest of UBI's games, where you must at minimum auth every time you launch the game, then that'll be a deal breaker.

At any event, i won't get it on release day, i'll wait for confirmation that the DRM is only involved when installing (i'm not taking UBI's word for it).

Ohh relax, his problem seems to be with the fast paced editing of the vid, not so much the content.

And i'd agree with him, i think that vid would benifit from not having an explosion or gunfire go of every 3 seconds, by all means show us some action, but there is such a thing as juxtaposition.. ;)

I wouldn't worry about future installations if i were you, even if things would go bananas the devs would simply unlock the game to run without DRM, besides the investment for the customer equals nothing compared to the devs and publishers.

Ever heard of Rise of Flight? The most realistic ww1 simulator on the market, I think it came out in the summer of 2009 or 2008. Folks thought their DRM was harsh but I had no issues with it what so ever and it works just fine today 2-3 years post its release date.

I think that if anyone can be trusted than its defiantly 1c and Oleg Maddox games seeing their history recorded with a lot of content updates and expansions for all of their games and on top of that a lot of 3rd party tools and modding.

Say in a worst case scenario that 5+ years from now you wouldnt actually be able to play it, would you claim that your 50$ for 5 years of intense gaming and hundreds of hours was for nothing then just because the product was rendered useless x years from now?

I think the master servers for Moh Allied Assault, Cod 1, Cs 1.6 are still running, and the same goes for Quake 3 etc, and thats what 10+ years since release.. :) Unlocking the DRM in a patch wouldnt exactly take much for experienced devs and it wouldnt have any additional costs, and we all know Oleg wants the sim to be the new benchmark sim.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Good point. Probably for the better that it'll likely be done just like it was for IL-2 Sturmovik... (planes released in add-ons over the years)

Still... I'll miss my 190 :(. Damn 109 elevator lock ups!

Also, what's with the macchis? Did the Italians join in the German blitz?
Italian's were part of BoB, but limitedly so, iirc.

Upvote 0
Unlocking the DRM in a patch wouldnt exactly take much for experienced devs and it wouldnt have any additional costs, and we all know Oleg wants the sim to be the new benchmark sim.

Do any of you guys remember flying CFS3 with the No-CD hack installed? It was a hacked substitute .exe file that made it where you did not have to have the CD in the drive to run the game. I still have mine. Ahh...those were the days!:D

It is entirely plausible that years from now, when the game has relatively run its course and is not a huge money maker, that either Ubi or 1c could unlock the game. If not, then it is also entirely plausible that someone could do it for them. But that is a LONG ways off....and really is not worth worrying about. I agree that constant connection authentication is very very bad, but again as a compromise a one-time connection authentication is about as good as we can hope for.

Either way, knowing the quality of Oleg's and 1c's work...any serious fan of flight sims would really be missing out by not getting this game.

Upvote 0
Uh... WRONG! Online at least I probably see 33% of the planes I shoot down explode/go on fire (rather than just a wing come off or engine die or pilot kill)

Since when playing IL2 online is equivalent to IRL dogfight? ;) As enjoyable as it can be I still would hardly take it that seriously. And no, I am not expecting the offline (let alone the online) experience or anything to be perfect for fairly obvious reasons.

Check out 3:08 of the second vid especially. It's very very gamey looking. Hope they change that in the game... so unrealistic

There's a huge diffrence between plane going down heavily damaged or engine smoking (which is the case with most gun footages) after repeated hits than just few 1-2 perfectly accurate shots and kaboom.

The last vid has the most plane-on-plane confrontations (which you'll notice frequently end up with the target exploding or bursting into flames), but is in B&W unfortunately.

Yes it's perfectly logical because they're firing deflection shots that actually have high odds to hit properly around the engine, not just one in a million based on one magic pixel fired straight behind the aircraft unless it magically penetrates the fuselage, cockpit, instruments and then sinks into the nose and ignites the fuel without killing or wounding the pilot while we're at it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0