• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Replace/Upgrade the Knife

Nanostrike

Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2009
Lets be honest here, when you have a Katana, Axe, or Machete, you're almost never gonna use the Knife. Yet you can't drop it.

So if you're trying to juggle a Katana and Fire Axe, you'll often end up switching to the knife. And often when you're switching to melee for the machete, you might bump the key more than once and end up with the crappy knife instead of the Machete.

There's an easy solution: When you pick up an Axe, Katana, or Machete, the Knife becomes unavailable until you drop them. If the Knife's run speed is an issue, increase the other melee weapons' run speed to match the Knife (With the possible exception of the Fire Axe).

The other melee weapons are far and away UPGRADES from the Knife and I find it frustrating to have the knife still clutter up my inventory when I'm never going to use it.

Not an issue for me. I have two extra buttons on my mouse. One of them is bound for melee weapons. I press it once and it brings out machete/axe instantly if I have one. If not, it takes out the knife. I highly suggest getting a mouse with a few extra buttons. Useful for all games.

I also have all of my weapon slots bound to a specific key closer to my wasd keys. I can't for the life of me figure out why people are still using number keys. Especially in a game like this.

Upvote 0
Not an issue for me. I have two extra buttons on my mouse. One of them is bound for melee weapons. I press it once and it brings out machete/axe instantly if I have one. If not, it takes out the knife. I highly suggest getting a mouse with a few extra buttons. Useful for all games.

I also have all of my weapon slots bound to a specific key closer to my wasd keys. I can't for the life of me figure out why people are still using number keys. Especially in a game like this.

Because i have a number of voice commands attached to them.

Z is I need dosh, X is Sorry, C is v. chat, V is RUN!, B standard, E standard, F activate torch, G nade, Shift crouch,

As you can see, some of us just don't have the room.

Upvote 0
With all respect, having a completely useless thing that gets in the way of gameplay, and then telling the players to work around it by memorizing a whole new control that has the sole function of getting around that useless thing, smacks of bad design.

But good sir! This is the foundation of the gaming industry!

"If YOU don't like it, then YOU fix it!" :troll:

Upvote 0
Oh Jesus, where do you have the auto-healing button then!? :eek:
H. I use my thumb for it. It's not as awkward as it sounds.

By the way, in case there's any confusion, we generally use the American keyboard layout here in Australia.

Anyway, I'd never want the game to "intelligently" stop me from selecting the Knife, even in situations where I'd never want to use it. And that's even despite having "Switch to Knife" on mouse4 (an artefact from the days of ye olde slot 1 Chainsaw, but I still use it now). I neither need nor want the game to (attempt to) decide what's best for me; I'd rather the interface behave consistently at all times. If I particularly wanted to effectively remove the Knife from slot 1, I'd write a keybind script for it.

Upvote 0
Oh Jesus, where do you have the auto-healing button then!? :eek:

I don't, I select my syringe in the drop down menu and press Mouse 5, my set up is quite unique :)

Q = Quick Swap to last weapon used
I line up what weapon I think I'll need, either my back up gun or Med syringe as needed then use Q to swap to that weapon when I need to. Old habit from CSS

1 = Highlight Previous Weapon in List
2 = Highlight Next Weapon in List
Avoids that little Mouse Wheel problem when using the weapon list, and makes lining up quick swaps easier

Jump = Scroll wheel down
Jumping makes it harder for specimens to get into range of you and I can jump without having to move a finger off my WASD keys. Old habit from CSS Bunny Hopping :)

Grenade = Middle Mouse Button
Can immediately drop a grenade when I need one without risk of accidently throwing one while using another key. Kinda left over from CoD4 tbh

Alt Fire = G or Mouse 5 (The front button on the left side of my mouse)
Mouse 5 is right underneath my M1 button so my alternatie attacks are in the same ballpark as my regular attacks

Doesn't work so well when you have 3 or 4 weapons you are constantly swapping between, but is great when you generally focus on using 2 weapons. Using this setup I've never needed a quick heal :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Use the "Switch to Last Weapon" bind. I have it on Q.

I find that the "Last used weapon" was often the 9mm or some other gun, so this doesn't help me much.

I approve.

(Is there actually a difference in running with the different melee weapons? I always thought they were the same speed.)

With the Chainsaw there is, but it's on the 4 key now. I think there might be a tiny difference with the Axe as well, but it'd be minor to the point that you wouldn't notice it.

The knife is always the last selected Melee Weapon, how can it possibly clutter the inventory? Unless you use the godawful scrollwheel to change weapons. :eek:

Like I said, if you have more than just one other melee weapon, it can clutter things. Try using a Katana/Fire Axe combo. Yeah, "Use last weapon" works...until you've had to get out any ranged weapon.

It's not a huge thing, but honestly, if you have the Katana or Machete (And to a lesser extent the Axe), the Knife is pretty much obselete.

Upvote 0
Never had an issue with the knife as a Kaatana/ Axe/ LAR Berserker. However, it would be rather nice if you were capable of dropping it. In Day of Defeat (the HL1 version) you're incapable of dropping your knife/ shovel or your pistol. You can only pickup other "primary" weapons like rifles, submachineguns, etc. There's some AMXX plugin that lets you drop the pistols/ knives both voluntarily and on death, so you can pick up a German's Luger when your Colt1911 runs out of ammunition. So maybe a mutator and hope it gets grey/ whitelisted?

Since we're posting alternate keybinds...
Spoiler!

Upvote 0
But hey, we all use a knife alot at TRADER TIME :D

This ^ If there's no knife, we can't run! D:

On the topic of keybinds, though, I use the default settings for just about every single game I play. Doesn't affect me. (Unless they're really dodgy like in old games, where the forward button is A and back is Z, etc.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0