• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Please, dont save **** in "Documents and Settings"

Well if you run win7 it is actually quite nice that most games save in the Games directory of your control files.

But for backup purposes it would be nice if RO could use steam cloud to safe config files and the actual game itself.

LOL, no they don't. Some games save it in their own folders, some in documents, some in games some in Appdata which is hidden by default...

Upvote 0
Easier to find? how is it any easier than having them in the install directory?

Also... safe place?, when something breaks, it uses to be the OS partition, if you have to format, the saves, config, screens, etc... are precisely what you lose.

Can't count how many stuff I lost because its stored in obscure folders within D&S

Safer in the sense that you won't lose them unless you go out of your way to get rid of them.

And easier because it's where most games are putting their config and ini files now. Less fishing around. At least for me.

Upvote 0
The saving stuff in the users / docs and setting folder is a Games for Windows requirement (or at least it used to be). Besides the partial read only property of the program files directory by default in newer versions of Windows, having the game config / screenshots saved per user allows separate computer accounts to have access to only their own screenshots and/or config files, without having to duplicate the game install.

It does make good sense, however it needs standardising, with a proper program data folder in there.

Also, a system restore or upgrade will usually leave the documents folder intact.

Upvote 0
Also, a system restore or upgrade will usually leave the documents folder intact.

Yeah, but a "Format c:" does not, and if there's any drive in your system that may need a full wipe from time to time, it's your system drive.

But honestly, you haven't felt confusion and pain untill you've delt with this on a localized version of Windows, then it's double the trouble, because all the folders on a localized version have translated names, but only half the developers out there use them, the other half will create new folders with the english names, so we get twice the folders to sift through..

Everything in my "Doccuments and settings" folders is a giant incomprehensible mess! I have long since given up hope of ever finding anything in there, it just won't happen.. if i need to find a .cfg file in there somewhere, i'll have to use the windows search feature (and that is the only thing i ever use the search for, everything else i have organized).

It's just a cluster**** in there, and i don't even bother backing anything up from in there when i wipe and reinstall Windows, it's easier to to start over than it is to deal with this giant mess they have made of my system.

Reactions: Alexei and Fedorov
Upvote 0
yeah, but a "format c:" does not, and if there's any drive in your system that may need a full wipe from time to time, it's your system drive.

But honestly, you haven't felt confusion and pain untill you've delt with this on a localized version of windows, then it's double the trouble, because all the folders on a localized version have translated names, but only half the developers out there use them, the other half will create new folders with the english names, so we get twice the folders to sift through..

Everything in my "doccuments and settings" folders is a giant incomprehensible mess! I have long since given up hope of ever finding anything in there, it just won't happen.. If i need to find a .cfg file in there somewhere, i'll have to use the windows search feature (and that is the only thing i ever use the search for, everything else i have organized).

It's just a cluster**** in there, and i don't even bother backing anything up from in there when i wipe and reinstall windows, it's easier to to start over than it is to deal with this giant mess they have made of my system.

+1000000

Upvote 0
LOL, no they don't. Some games save it in their own folders, some in documents, some in games some in Appdata which is hidden by default...

I said most recent games, not all recent games. It varies but at the least its the most consistent method so far, and most games I've played since the xmas holiday seemed to add the saves in the correct mygames folder.

Upvote 0
I dont know what you guys have, but i have

Personal Computer

Which means that its your computer and games shouldnt
think about multiuser/not a admin user things.

Doesnt matter so much now a days, but i made quite
small C:\ drive when i installed my older computer
years ago, and all f**king windows updates, game saves
and tons of other trash made it allways, full. Then it
took some hours to make some space. And repeat
to the end of days.

Upvote 0
Yeah, but a "Format c:" does not, and if there's any drive in your system that may need a full wipe from time to time, it's your system drive.
exactly this is why i hate it - on all my pc's i tend to have a small (10gb) windows c: drive, large enough for some essential apps and temp space for large downloads - so i can start afresh and reinstall win if the machine needs a cleanup - the idea being that my games+saves/setting stay intact.
But of course now i need to backup all my docs which defeats the object - and if the drive goes tits-up this may be impossible.
so yes i hate it.

Upvote 0
Empire TW another example of an extremely (ridiculously) harddrive consuming game. I basically regularly have to delete old save games from the directory mentiond in the OPs point of concern. ETW was even only an example, I had to use Windir stat in order to find the culpits.
Also, steam does not make the slightest difference, you might have a different folder for the actual game files which you predetermine but still Save games(depending on the developers) will often end up being stored in "my documents".

But my best guess and hope for HoS is that it will not affect us that much since a.) we have an fps which does not necessarily has to save as many infos about a point in time in a game as a rts game.
b.) Singleplayercampaigns and modes are a nice bonus or addition to the game but are we not all rather interested in the multiplayer part?
Going multi apart from maybe coop campaigns basically frees us again from the "my documents" issue since we won't have to save nor load any previously recorded/started game.

Upvote 0
b.) Singleplayercampaigns and modes are a nice bonus or addition to the game but are we not all rather interested in the multiplayer part?
Going multi apart from maybe coop campaigns basically frees us again from the "my documents" issue since we won't have to save nor load any previously recorded/started game.

If the single player of RO, is gonna be anything like Valkyria Chronicles (Set up chellenges, playing with the placement of enemies and objectives, etc) you'd have to complete the map in a single run, there shouldn't be any saves during gameplay, other than what levels have you completed, and your stats, and if your stats can easily be tracked with Steam, I'm sure, this can be tracked too with a simple line of code.

Quicksavings and auto savings during the game, makes everything less interesting, and significantly less challenging and immersive.

DLC packs, could include different challenges for single player, while the multiplayer version of that map would be released for free.

But I'm now going to another topic.

Upvote 0
Are you guys really formatting your drives enough to make losing saves and things in Documents and Settings an issue?

Are you saying you don't bother backing that folder up BEFORE formatting, even when you know there are possibly important files there?

Way to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Why should we be forced to go through all the hassle of browsing many obscure folders(Double the fun with a localized windows) to backup stuff that shouldn't be there in the first place? then lets see who is the genie that finds out where things goes when he has to put them back. Its easier to complete the game again and make new saves.

If I install something in a partition, I expect its files to be there, where I installed it.

Upvote 0
Why should we be forced to go through all the hassle of browsing many obscure folders

I'm not sure about you, but this is as far as I need to go:

Windows Explorer -> Documents

Everything is there.

At MOST (if I go there the long way through its full directory):

My Computer -> C:\ -> Users -> (whatever your particular account is) -> MyDocuments

It's really not that bad, and it isolates files that most people care about as far as options and saves.

Lets also not talk about UE3's crazy way of organizing these same sorts of files. If RO2's method resembles UT3's, you'll have just as much difficulty getting to them and modifying them.

Saving these files in MyDocuments also makes it easier to wipe drives that are dedicated to storing games/whatever, as simply reinstalling them will let you retain graphics settings and saves. Personally I have one drive for my OS and one large drive for all my big installs. If I feel like getting rid of everything and starting fresh, I can do so knowing most of my games will retain their saves without having to go and manually back them up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not sure about you, but this is as far as I need to go:

Windows Explorer -> Documents

Everything is there.

At MOST (if I go there the long way through its full directory):

My Computer -> C:\ -> Users -> (whatever your particular account is) -> MyDocuments

This is just not true.

There is **** in "/Documents" "/Program Data(Hidden folder)" "/My Games" "/Mis Juegos"(Localized windows) "/Configuraci

Last edited:
Upvote 0