• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Ranked went to Unranked

I've found one possible cause of servers suddenly becoming unranked. After yesterday's update ours became unranked every time it loaded Pavlov's House - it was fine if it was started on another map. I re-ran the update but nothing changed until I deleted all the files related to Pavlov's House before running the update again. It's been fine ever since, so it seems it's possible to get corrupt files for a map that the updater doesn't notice but that cause ranked status to be lost. One more thing to check...

Upvote 0
Hmmmmmmm that is interesting.
And thnx for the info, got me a bit further and ranked again with the settings, we where starting the game with TE-CommissarsHouse in commandline and there was indeed the messesage that the .upk had a failure, and jumped to unranked.

Now starting the game with Appartments again as in stock, problems over, even can run Pavlovhouse and Commissarshouse without problems.

Upvote 0
Mind spelling of Apartments!

I think starting with Apartments might be the key.

I deleted all references to Pav maps, the ran a steam update to get the files back. However the server was set to start with Station it showed unranked.

So a quick reset of the server and a modification to the command line to let it start with Apartments and it is showing ranked.

Let's see if it holds.

So also make certain you are starting at Apartments.

Edit Update : Nope didn't work for us. it went back to unranked when the next map was loaded. Oh well back to the drawing board.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
aggree with nervous energy.
"What is more worrying is the lack of response from tripwire over the past week. A update on the progress would be fine."
where is QA stuff ? the rank system is broken completely, the servers and the client part .. yesterday i was 25 rank , today iam 85 ? the servers is changes from ranked to unrenked like crazy.

Upvote 0
It may not be just Pavlov's House that can get corrupted - search the log for "Ranked" to see if there's any mention of why ranked status was removed. If you see a complaint about a single map file delete all the files with the same map name from rogame\cookedpcserver\, I tried just deleting and updating the one file that was mentioned but still had the problem.

Alternatively try deleting everything in rogame\cookedpcserver\ and re-updating / download all the server files again to be sure - we were running updates with -verify_all but that didn't spot the problem.

If it's still going unranked on certain maps after that there must be something else going on.

Upvote 0
I discovered when I go to my favs. in the browser my server is listed as ranked but is not in the main list. When I reset the browser and applied, my server then shows up. Server also keeps reverting to FF gametype when active maplist has no FF in it??????

I also sent in ranked server app. but still no reply?????

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The ranked/unranked problem seems more or less fixed (with the work around, don't know if the patch keeps it fixed).

Only thing is that since this problem occured the server is set to "custom". Even if I set it back to realistic it still stays custom (also after map changes or server restart).

Upvote 0
is the work around deleting all the maps and running the steam update again ? Ill try it tomorrow when the server is empty.

Also, what logs am I to look for to see any errors re the unranking.

This is becoming a very annoying bug the only saving grace is that everyone knows the ranking system is not working properly anyway so they are just happy to play on a server full of people.

Upvote 0