• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Been doing some research.

OP your research is lacking in the research department.

VAC and PB can detect external hacks.

VAC has a delayed ban that ranges from days to weeks so people who are hacking now may be able to happily keep hacking for quite a while but they are very likely to have already been caught. The delayed ban is so that minimal feedback is given to the hacker as to what triggered the ban. Which in itself deters and prevents hack developers from making successful ban-proof hacks. VAC also updates inconspicuously through the Steam client without you noticing.

VAC has over 2 million bans on record I believe. :p

PB is an instant kick and temporary ban on detection and perma bans on confirmation. It can scan through running processes and also programs and files on the computer and specifically check if they are hacks and if they are associated with games which PB protects. This is more effective but PB doesn't update too often and at the moment they probably haven't added hack identifiers for RO2 to their databases.

Also there's PBBans where users can submit evidence against a hacker and have them banned manually.

Upvote 0
So your basically calling everyone better then you a hacker? I have gotten so many kills in matches with no matter what weapon I am using and sometimes 20+ or WAY more kills above everyone else. I am also an RO vet and have no problem hitting anyone from any range with whichever weapon I'm using.

Hell I just had a match in Grain Elevator where when I was running to the foothold the Russians were shooting at us from above in the upper floors so in the middle of the open I crouched, and with my Kar98 I shot every single one of the Russians firing out of the window in the head, which was about 10 guys and charged into cap zones taking them my self.

Would you call me a hacker if you were shot by me?

Or how about I was in Barracks and ended with 67 kills with the Mkb (yeah I know I know, but I have done the same with the PPSH and the MP40)'

It all depends on the player, I basically know most of the maps inside out, I know where all the Russian players go on most of the maps and know where the Germans go most of the maps so I play accordingly to that and play smart. With that you can be almost unstoppable, and hell being a RO veteran helps a lot.

Don't just call everyone a hacker because they did good, so yeah I am a RO vet and I have been cleaning up, hell I was in a match where I got a higher score then a hacker who was actually in the match but I was on a good server and they knew who was hacking and who wasn't and kicked the hacker very fast.

Reactions: Overtype
Upvote 0
Well, it is very odd how on one server it's a constant rain of death, and then on another not even rain could hit you. :D Do hackers hang out at favourite servers? Or maybe crap players do?

I dunno, there's a lot of data out there saying anti-cheat software is mainly a placebo to keep people buying games instead of giving up on the whole shebang. Tin-foil hat territory maybe. But the hackers still keep selling their wares, and if their wares weren't doing what they do I kind of think the word would have got around already and nobody would be buying them. Which would mean there'd be no more sites selling them. How many ways are there to write a hack so that PB can't recognize it until it's given an actual definition?

The way this game seems to be going the hackers will move on anyway, there won't be enough players left for them to piss off. If it doesn't die because it can't be fixed it'll die because everyone's slagging it off all the time. Not the most fruitful target for hackers I guess, which is a blessing hidden in a curse. :(

Upvote 0
The way this game seems to be going the hackers will move on anyway, there won't be enough players left for them to piss off. If it doesn't die because it can't be fixed it'll die because everyone's slagging it off all the time. Not the most fruitful target for hackers I guess, which is a blessing hidden in a curse. :(

you would think so but people are still getting caught cheating in monday night combat, a game with less that 100 players at peak time daily.

Upvote 0
Alot of this finger pointing cheating that's going on is simple and is not directed at anyone im talkin "In general"

1. RO is not a game where new players even vets of other fps's can just step in and dominate the battlefield.

2. RO is a game where skill is rewarded and the more you play the better you get.Its a game about position having good battlefield awareness and learning to be proficient with weapons(these can take some time).

3.Many other arcade fps's are designed for the masses where its simple and shallow gameplay allow anyone that has played a fps can step in and be effective.

4.RO is a war sim where death comes fast and often even the most skilled player will die alot in this game.If he is aggressive as he should be playing for the objectives.Its also a game that trying to pad your k/d ratio will not make you an effective player in fact most of time it will do the opposite.

Combine these 4 things and yes Its easy to see why new people to RO think anyone with 40 kills for example is cheating.When they struggle just to get 5 and its not the new players fault they just have to learn the game.Something their not used to doing with other games and the easiest explanation for them is to scream cheater.

90% of the people called out for cheating is just players that's spent years in ro1 or just many hours in ro2 and have became good.For me this shows the depth of RO games after years of playing people will still be learning few games can claim that.

"playing RO you must forget everything you ever learned about other fps's and relearn a whole new genre" Me giving advice to my friends trying RO for the first time

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Alot of this finger pointing cheating that's going on is simple and is not directed at anyone im talkin "In general"

1. RO is not a game where new players even vets of other fps's can just step in and dominate the battlefield.

2. RO is a game where skill is rewarded and the more you play the better you get.Its a game about position having good battlefield awareness and learning to be proficient with weapons(these can take some time).

3.Many other arcade fps's are designed for the masses where its simple and shallow gameplay allow anyone that has played a fps can step in and be effective.

4.RO is a war sim where death comes fast and often even the most skilled player will die alot in this game.If he is aggressive as he should be playing for the objectives.Its also a game that trying to pad your k/d ratio will not make you an effective player in fact most of time it will do the opposite.

Combine these 4 things and yes Its easy to see why new people to RO think anyone with 40 kills for example is cheating.When they struggle just to get 5 and its not the new players fault they just have to learn the game.Something their not used to doing with other games and the easiest explanation for them is to scream cheater.

90% of the people called out for cheating is just players that's spent years in ro1 or just many hours in ro2 and have became good.For me this shows the depth of RO games after years of playing people will still be learning few games can claim that.

"playing RO you must forget everything you ever learned about other fps's and relearn a whole new genre" Me giving advice to my friends trying RO for the first time

Yeah, you have a point. I've always prided myself on having a positive K/D ratio. Doesn't have to be big, just positive. Kind of stands for legitimate effectiveness in my mind. But tonight I thought "screw it" and went back to just going for the caps and I was back at the top end of the board most rounds. That K/D messes wit yo mind. :D

Upvote 0
Yeah I get shot in the head sometimes before the player has even finished raising his iron sights. Or maybe that's lag?

More like luck and lag. I don't think anyone aims for the head in this game on purpose. Not when a torso shot is a one hit kill with like anything but a pistol. A lot of time people will panic though an spray an get a lucky headshot I have done it before plenty of times.

Upvote 0
Dream on. Either the detection software works, in which case advertize every hack we can find to entrap the cheats...or suppress the info as much as possible because those who know know they're un-detectable. Very simple logic.

*buzzer sounds*

WRONGO!

Cheat detection is often similar to virus detection, it takes files, hashes them and then compares them to the hashes of known viruses / malware.

This is a completely RE-ACTIVE system where the hack/virus/malware/cheat has to come into existance first, be found out by the anti cheat software, and then logged.

Un stoppable & undetectable is exactly what the punks would like to think when they buy a hack, but it just simply aint true.

Upvote 0
Regarding PB and VAC:
Yes PB and VAC do detect cheats. But you need to understand that cheating software is like viruses. Even so is anti-cheat software like anti-virus software. A new virus will not be detected by your anti-virus software as long as it has not been detected and as long as the signature is unknown. If a new cheat comes out, then at first this cheat will not be detected. But in some stage it will and the devs behind the anti-cheat software will put there effort in adding the cheats signature to there database. From this point on the cheat will be detected by the anti-cheat software. In return the devs of the cheat software will put there effort in changing there cheat so that the signature changes. Result is that the anti-cheat software will not detect it anymore. In return the devs of the anti-cheat software... And this will go on for ages.

Regarding server admins:

And YES an admin will kick/ban a cheater if he is spotted on there server. The only problem is that there are servers with untrained admins. The server is adminned, but the admin has no idea how a cheat works and so no idea on how to detect it. There are still admins around that believe that a wall-hack allows the cheater to shoot through a wall. These untrained admins might be the reason why you will get shot every second and on some servers not. Or maybe it's just because an excellent and honest player prefers to play on servers where the other players are of the same level. The challenge to kill a possible better player is there legal drug ;)

Upvote 0
Ever since I've been playing PC FPS games online (2000 with Unreal Tournament), I've found hacking to be a completely overblown issue.

Except for Modern Warfare 2, pre-VAC Counter-Strike and pre-PB Call of Duty 2 and a few other games that had a wild west thing going with anti-cheat, I can count on my hands the amount of times I've seen an obvious cheater. People always go ape about cheaters in BC2 and I've literally NEVER seen a cheater in that game.

Undoubtedly there are people who cheat, and undoubtedly I played with dozens if not hundreds of cheaters in BC2 and all the other games in the last 11 years, but the ones who do will usually just be mistaken for people with good aim and fast reflexes. You can never know who is legit and who is not so its pointless to get worked up about it. Thats my point.

You can either assume that everyone doing really good is a cheater and rip your hair out, or you can give everyone but the blatantly obvious the benefit of the doubt and keep it moving.

Upvote 0
In RO:OF you never had to lead any of your shots, because the game moved at such a turgid pace.

Of course players from CSS, COD, BF:BC2 are going to be better at this than RO:OF vets. Not only do you need to be able to take into account the muzzle velocity for the guns in each specific game, but adapt to the amount of lag on that particular server.

A younger crowd may well find it easier to adapt to this combination of variables instinctively and, well, RO:OF had more than it's fair share of players over 25.

Sorry to disappoint you OP, but 25% of people are not using aimbots in this game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ever since I've been playing PC FPS games online (2000 with Unreal Tournament), I've found hacking to be a completely overblown issue.

Except for Modern Warfare 2, pre-VAC Counter-Strike and pre-PB Call of Duty 2 and a few other games that had a wild west thing going with anti-cheat, I can count on my hands the amount of times I've seen an obvious cheater. People always go ape about cheaters in BC2 and I've literally NEVER seen a cheater in that game.

Undoubtedly there are people who cheat, and undoubtedly I played with dozens if not hundreds of cheaters in BC2 and all the other games in the last 11 years, but the ones who do will usually just be mistaken for people with good aim and fast reflexes. You can never know who is legit and who is not so its pointless to get worked up about it. Thats my point.

You can either assume that everyone doing really good is a cheater and rip your hair out, or you can give everyone but the blatantly obvious the benefit of the doubt and keep it moving.

Yep, cheating is actually pretty rare. Firstly there is no real motive for it, so only a very few sad and lonely rejects actually use them. Secondly, hacks cost money, nobody is going to make a hack for personal use the hack makers are just in it for the cash. Finally lots of cheaters do eventually get banned, either from PBBans or VAC.

Oh, and OP, aimbots don't usually work with bullet travel.

Upvote 0