• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

DraKon2k

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Vienna, Austria
So while I was of course among those who immediately pre-ordered, I also kept an eye on the steam top sellers list. RO2 was under the top10 obviously and at #3 at it's peek afaik. Now a few days later it's not even among the Top20 anymore, eventhough there's up to -20% on it. That may partly be caused by the fact that there's a quakecon steam sale going on, but on the other hand titles like E.Y.E. or Pirates of the Black Cove still made it. Is this normal or maybe a sign of the lack of PR?

May also use this thread in the future once/if some actual sale numbers are released.

Reactions: daschewy
So while I was of course among those who immediately pre-ordered, I also kept an eye on the steam top sellers list. RO2 was under the top10 obviously and at #3 at it's peek afaik. Now a few days later it's not even among the Top20 anymore, eventhough there's up to -20% on it. That may partly be caused by the fact that there's a quakecon steam sale going on, but on the other hand titles like E.Y.E. or Pirates of the Black Cove still made it. Is this normal or maybe a sign of the lack of PR?

May also use this thread in the future once/if some actual sale numbers are released.

the largest part of the community is not interested or doesn't know yet (lack of gameplay trailers:rolleyes:), so it is not a big surprise.

When this happens during the PR outburst, then it is a concern

Upvote 0

1- It made it to 2nd for a day or two.
2- Probably most of the interested already bought it or are waiting for other stuff to happen before deciding what version to get.
3- A lot of people probably had the boxed version pre-ordered before.
4- You said it, not enough PR, so outside the usual followers, this game is still unknown, and lack of HD gameplay doesn't help.
5- Those other games you mention are actual releases and no pre-orders, they also have demo. (Being Skyrim and Dead Island exceptions, but they are well known and more mass market appealing AAA tittles, and yes I have them both pre-ordered too)
6- I thought you said it was quite sad that I made a thread about how very few people were interested in RO2 and now you are doing the same?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The only people to buy it so far generally will by those who know and yeh they would have bought straight away. There's just not enough marketing material for a non-believer to make an informed decision. And various low quality cam shot of demos scattered randomly around the internet is just not enough. It needs a new HQ trailer each week until launch now highlighting various aspects of gameplay and maps. People need to see what they are buying.

But TWI know that already so I'm sure they are on the case.

Reactions: =GG= Mr Moe
Upvote 0
I have to say it was only by pure chance that I even heard of this game.

The scattered youtube videos/interviews were enough to sell it to me and hopefully it will be to other newcomers but you can't expect big sales without some kind of push, word of mouth will only get you so far.

It has been floating up and down the Top Sellers chart though so it can't be doing too badly.

Also I think the beta will obviously push the sales a bit, with no NDA and the hundreds of youtube videos going up it can only help them.

Looking forward to it :) In the meantime I bought a copy of the first game to help me get used to the style a bit before this is released.

Reactions: =GG= Mr Moe
Upvote 0
RO2 sales have nothing to do with how many people did or did not add the game to their wishlist for the steam summer sale.

It does.

Now do me a favor and keep your personal hatred to yourself instead of trying to derail this thread.

What hatred?

How is it derailing the thread? If anything, it would be you derailing my thread back then, I answered to your post with perfectly on-topic points.

Reactions: Alexei
Upvote 0
It is also partly a question of purchasing power/age in my opinion. Many of the folks around my age with steady income etc. already showed their loyalty towards RO and bought the game in the first few days of the preorder. But younger kids or students often have to flip around each coin/buck a few times before deciding upon a worthy investment. I actually guess that with the first decent reviews, interest and sales will also experience a substantial increase. Also a popular appearance on Gamescom and a positive press coverage will spur interest for potential customers.
Unfortunately belonging to a "hit series" of games does not anyone guarantee you expected sales and revenues. How many sequels have not been totally ruined in the last year/couple of years? ( IL 2 CoD, SH 5, .....)

Upvote 0
For us Australians this is a Cheap game :D

Anyways there would be more and way more sales if they released more information, video wise. Because its Summer, no real game doesn't come out until Deus Ex and then Dead island in September so there is plently of games eager for a new title and a cheap title like RO2 that looks like a hardcore online shooter will get plenty of sales as Modern Warfare 3 and BF3 dont come out for another few months.

2-3 HD gameplay trailers is all that is need, tho i was sold off one interview trailer a while back, many may not know it exists.

Upvote 0
I'm from Australia and I haven't bought it yet and neither have my friends as we are all waiting to see what's going to happen with the censor****. Once we are certain we will either buy it or have it gifted to us.

I think mainly the people in the know about this game are buying or have bought it, as it hasn't really been advertised yet... as mentioned earlier it needs a new HQ trailer with lots of bangs and flashes to attract the kiddies.. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Hate to break it to you, but the top 20 isn't based on sales. It's based on $$$ for/from devs. Brink was being released a few days after the huge EA sale earlier this year (this is not a Brink bashing thread, so just stop) and it didn't show up on the main page or top 10 until after the EA sale left. Then it stayed at #1 for like a month.

It's about money and who pays Steam more, sorry :/

Upvote 0
Hate to break it to you, but the top 20 isn't based on sales. It's based on $$$ for/from devs. Brink was being released a few days after the huge EA sale earlier this year (this is not a Brink bashing thread, so just stop) and it didn't show up on the main page or top 10 until after the EA sale left. Then it stayed at #1 for like a month.

It's about money and who pays Steam more, sorry :/

That's what I was thinking too... The top 20 must be prime real-estate and cost a fortune to have your game out front.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.