• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Solution] Bad Performance - Possible Fix

Marvmuffin

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 15, 2011
Hey guys, yesterday I purchased RO2 and after I managed to get it running (had no config) I started playing and got disappointed a second time.. choppy performance on every settings... but today I found a fix for me. I got the steam version and after I tried everything I thought it would be a good idea to deactivate the steam ingame community and - boom - smooth gameplay at max settings... if you have bad performance you should give this a try. ;) Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: [TW]redeye
Hey guys, yesterday I purchased RO2 and after I managed to get it running (had no config) I started playing and got disappointed a second time.. choppy performance on every settings... but today I found a fix for me. I got the steam version and after I tried everything I thought it would be a good idea to deactivate the steam ingame community and - boom - smooth gameplay at max settings... if you have bad performance you should give this a try. ;) Good luck.

thanks that solved the problem!

edit: oh no it didn't it help'd a little bit but not much.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
AMD 3 core cpu 2.8 GHz
4 GB Mem
Ati 4850 1024 MB
On 64 bit win 7

Game went from total *** on any setting to ~60 fps on automatic settings high and high 30s to 40 on ULTRA with some tweaks. All I'm gonna say is, hire this man. Going to leave it at high for now. Can't wait for them patches, hope meter just went up tenfold!

Edit: Performance is still being a little random at times. Went to a new server/map and fps was having some little drops and times of choppiness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yup done that yesterday...

Anyway, looking at MeasuredPerformanceTime from ppl's .log files seems that UE3 does not think much of AMD cpus:

MeasuredPerformanceTime - that should be the time some quickie compression run took on CPU.

I OC-ed the sh1t out of my Dual Core and managed to go just below score 100.
Poor thing runs 80C+ now.

Then I shut down every possible process/service.
I also put CompatLevelCPU=3 for a good measure, although I have absolutely no idea if it changes anything.

Same goes for CommonAudioPoolSize=320

This one bInitializeShadersOnDemand=True I KNOW it gives me performance... sometimes :)

Long story cut short, game runs OK now, 35-60fps on Low/Ultra mixed settings.
Sound skipping is gone, and choppiness is (ALMOST) unexistant, ... atm xD

I also use driver forced AA, because post processing AA here is lacking.

My ROengine.ini:

Attachments

• ROEngine.zip
    9.8 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
No difference in FPS here, and I don't want to play without Steam community even if it did.

I share the sentiment.

Fixes and tweaks are being used interchangeably, but they are very different.

This is a tweak.

I get some performance boost, so 'll use it, even though I'll miss the steam overlay and screenshot capability.

But we have to pick our battles, until TWI manages to patch the game some more.

Upvote 0