• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Games featuring older historic wars?

The Battlegrounds mods for Half-Life and Battlegrounds 2 for Half-Life 2 depicting the American Revolutionary War are the only ones I can think of, atm.
If The Trenches for Half-Life is still active, then that too (WW1). I heard they were working on a The Trenches 2 for Half-Life 2 and then teamed up with another WW1 mod-team, but I don't know if anything playable ever came from that. If you find something let us know.

And fictional as far as the world-map and faction-names go (the factions represent actual real-life cultures, but they mix them a bit and it takes place is a fictional world) but kinda-sorta-quasi half-way authentic when it comes to combat: Mount and Blade Warband. I'm fairly sure there is a mod that changes the world-map and the factions to real-life cultures (i.e. reverses the real-life to fiction conversion) but I'll be damned if I remember its name... Just check the forums of the game. Shouldn't be hard to find.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If The Trenches for Half-Life is still active, then that too (WW1). I heard they were working on a The Trenches 2 for Half-Life 2 and then teamed up with another WW1 mod-team, but I don't know if anything playable ever came from that. If you find something let us know.

Yes there is a playable version called WWI Source.

Upvote 0
And fictional as far as the world-map and faction-names go (the factions represent actual real-life cultures, but they mix them a bit and it takes place is a fictional world) but kinda-sorta-quasi half-way authentic when it comes to combat: Mount and Blade Warband. I'm fairly sure there is a mod that changes the world-map and the factions to real-life cultures (i.e. reverses the real-life to fiction conversion) but I'll be damned if I remember its name... Just check the forums of the game. Shouldn't be hard to find.

1257 AD mod. It has 30 factions across a relatively dense map of Europe and Africa, from Ireland all the way to the Golden Horde.

I warn you, it's unstable and the world map lags from all the crap to process, but if you want realism, this is it.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=110470.0

Upvote 0
The beginning of Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood takes place during the Civil War. The rest of the game is in a post-Civil War Western setting in which you fight ex-Confederate outlaws. It's pretty cool, and has the old weapons and everything.

Darkest of Days has some kind of time-travel plot that has you revisit historic battles. Not exactly realistic or authentic, but at least it has old weapons..

I have played both. They were really good too. Although i prefer even more authencity.

In Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood everyone had 12-round Pump-Action Rifles.

And Darkest of Days featured incorrect WW1 weapons and had buffed the reload time of Muskets from a minimum of 20 seconds to a maximum of 6 seconds.

Upvote 0
Haven't played it myself yet but you might like this mod, Mount & Musket.

YouTube - Mount&Blade Warband MM Waterloo Line Battle (part 1)

Fast forward to 2:40 to skip the nonsense.

SiC can tell you more about it.

Another video:

YouTube - Mount and Musket Waterloo

Does anyone know the name of the march playing in the beginning of that video (not the bagpipes)?

EDIT: trailer. http://www.moddb.com/mods/mount-and...s/mount-and-musket-battalion-trailer#imagebox

EDIT 2: at 12:00 in that MP battle video a guy gets hit and says "Awww, my kidneys!", LOL.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I honestly don't think there are any realistic and authentic FPS games taking place during any of those periods. It would be pretty cool I must admit, but I don't think developers are willing to partake in that kind of endeavor. Heck, I can't tell you how many times I've seen comments on websites that a realistic World War I game would be so boring. And take Assassin's Creed. I suppose Ubisoft thought that players would find the tale of an authentic Medieval assassin to be boring, so they had to include some sci-fi plot.

Upvote 0
YouTube - The British Grenadiers march

This one? It's "The British Grenadiers".

Yeah, found it myself after I wrote that post, but thanks. :) Love that tune.

And sadly you're right about your comment how developers aren't willing to take the risk to develop such games, not many at least. There's the Total War games and they're popular, but they're not first person. WW1 and 19th century combat are interesting themes but are not easy to implement in an FPS format. I'm sure it can be done though. There's an entire world to explore for game devs. Surely it won't be WWII + Vietnam + modern warfare forever, right? These time periods deserve more attention.

Upvote 0
there's no interest for these kinds of games. if you remember the resurgence of the ww2 shooter only came after the release of saving private ryan. today, lots of developers take advantage of movie tie in games for the same reason. bottomline: if you want them to be interested in something, you have to literally shove it down their throats.

Upvote 0
There's this game from 2000 or 2001 where its WWI and it still rages on in from 1914 to 1961 (the year where the game takes place)
YouTube - Iron Storm Trailer

also there's Necrovision and Necrovision Lost Company which takes place in WWI but when you are not fighting the Germans you are fighting monsters -
YouTube - NecroVisioN Official Game Trailer [HD]
YouTube - NecroVisioN: Lost Company Trailer

also there's a game called the Trench that the say should be released this year. Im not so sure if its a mod or not
http://www.prophecyresurection.com/

-----------------------------------------
For the American Civil War games, most of them are really REALLY bad
This one should be noted though -
History Channel Civil War - Nation Divided
and 'Secret Missions'

YouTube - History Channel Civil War: Trailer: Secret Missions

YouTube - history channel civil war a nation divided

-----------------------------------------
For the Spanish Civil War, there's this RTS game which I am not sure what happened to it.. all i know was that it caused somewhat of an outrage in Spain

Sombras de Guerra (Shadows of War)
YouTube - Sombras de Guerra - Shadows of War (trailer)

YouTube - Sombras de guerra

Last edited:
Upvote 0