• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

improve melee combat animation

There is going to be some unkown changes in the melee combat in RO2. There are many threads about melee. Just a tip, don't expect many replies, people have gotten quite tired of melee talk, the medic talk has already died it, and there were many threads for it.
But yeah, it does sound like a cool thing, just remember now, melee in WW2 doesn't really exist, it does but for the most part people want to shoot their gun instead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
While I don't know about kicking, it would be nice if there was a bayonet "lunge" for the bayonet power attack.

They bayonets are a lot harder to use than they should be, and that fact is worsened because it takes a good half second for your bayonet strike to actually register. To only way to pigstick somebody is if you sneak up behind them and they are completely motionless.,

If there was a bit of a "speed boost" or "lunge" right as you do they stabbing motion with the bayonet, then it'd give the attack much needed advantage.

Reactions: wahoo4
Upvote 0
There is going to be some unkown changes in the melee combat in RO2. There are many threads about melee. Just a tip, don't expect many replies, people have gotten quite tired of melee talk, the medic talk has already died it, and there were many threads for it.
But yeah, it does sound like a cool thing, just remember now, melee in WW2 doesn't really exist, it does but for the most part people want to shoot their gun instead.

you contradicted yourself there. and made an assumption about what people want from this game. i've just looked through your post history. please don't ever speak for anyone ever again, because you seem like a call of duty transplant. no offense, just an impression i get from the content and style of your posts.

Upvote 0
News Flash

If you go to swing a punch and realize the animation takes so long that you die as a result of it

Don't

Do

It

----

Stop complaining about additional features you don't necessarily need to use but are there to make the game more dynamic.

If all you use is the sniper rifle. Then maybe we should remove every other gun because who the flip cares about anything other than the sniper rifle? (This would be the equivalent argument)

The reasons games are so bad today is because peoples attitudes to more features, improved features, high skill ceilings are extremely selfish or brain washed into their heads from publishers. (IE - You want to play World of Warcraft because it is the best game ever. OH REALLY? yar really. WORLD OF WARCRAFT IS AWESOME)

Upvote 0
I'm afraid to write on this site because everything I say is heavily criticized. Anyway, I mean a kind of crysis 2 or 3 killzone as animation or simply put "good" knife in the flesh, while in Red Orchestra Ostfront you not seen to enter.

Im kind of torn, I enjoy the freedom of a knife as a selectable weapon, but also enjoy seeing the animation.

My only beef with an animated sequence with a knife, etc. Is that it usually involves some type of aimbot or lock on, which usually feels pretty ridiculous and clunky, it also removes the skill from a good knife fight. Do you know what I mean?

Reactions: protector
Upvote 0
Im kind of torn, I enjoy the freedom of a knife as a selectable weapon, but also enjoy seeing the animation.

My only beef with an animated sequence with a knife, etc. Is that it usually involves some type of aimbot or lock on, which usually feels pretty ridiculous and clunky, it also removes the skill from a good knife fight. Do you know what I mean?
yes

Upvote 0
Leave the combat system just fix it so you actually hit someone.

I dont want to have the BC2 insta knife kill, I want to actually hit people with my gun ovr and over and over and over again, I want to kick a german straight in the nuts then jump at him and stab him exactly 23 times with my bayonet - then throw my moisin like a spear across the room and impale some German then repeatably beat him with anything that comes under my hand

hows THAT for melee system

Reactions: <animal>INSTINCT
Upvote 0

I dont want to have the BC2 insta knife kill, I want to actually hit people with my gun ovr and over and over and over again, I want to kick a german straight in the nuts then jump at him and stab him exactly 23 times with my bayonet - then throw my moisin like a spear across the room and impale some German then repeatably beat him with anything that comes under my hand

Well that post just earned you an :IS2:, my good man

Upvote 0
There have been so damn many threads about melee now ...
Yes, kicking would be nice, if you actually could kick someone out the window (This is Stalingrad!) and you could really hinder people in prone position to get up again. Also kicks in your face (prone and crouch stance, no kungfu style here) should blur your vision.

Rifle melee animation should be the same as in the RO Mod, the side swing simply felt better and looked better. The 3rd person animation was badly done but 1st was nice. I've tried out both and I must say that the side swing is a lot quicker and easier to perform plus you can use your body to increase the punch.
Rifle strikes should blur your sight when you get hit at the torso or the head (helmet). Direct face punches should be "lethal". Torso hits should be about 3-4 times (full health), no CoD one hit smack down!

Bayonet stabs into your legs should make you fall to the ground, just like gunshots should do. You shouldn't be able to get up for some time otherwise falling down would be useless.

Upvote 0
There have been so damn many threads about melee now ...
Yes, kicking would be nice, if you actually could kick someone out the window (This is Stalingrad!) and you could really hinder people in prone position to get up again. Also kicks in your face (prone and crouch stance, no kungfu style here) should blur your vision.

Rifle melee animation should be the same as in the RO Mod, the side swing simply felt better and looked better. The 3rd person animation was badly done but 1st was nice. I've tried out both and I must say that the side swing is a lot quicker and easier to perform plus you can use your body to increase the punch.
Rifle strikes should blur your sight when you get hit at the torso or the head (helmet). Direct face punches should be "lethal". Torso hits should be about 3-4 times (full health), no CoD one hit smack down!

Bayonet stabs into your legs should make you fall to the ground, just like gunshots should do. You shouldn't be able to get up for some time otherwise falling down would be useless.

Kicking would be amazing!!! and body part sensitivity for melee would be great too. On a slightly different note, I think that the effects of being hit in legs, arms etc should last a lot longer. In ROOST after 30 seconds or so, your gaping leg wound would go away. I think that, at least in realism mode, the wounds should last untill
1. Your team captures a point and you are now in friendly territory.

For this, there could be some type of tent or something that appears 30secs-1min after the cap and you enter it to get a new soldier of your same classes, or maybe a medkit by the artillery table. this would work so that, if you really wanted to, you could walk back to behind your lines and have the same effect

or 2. You die

All this after you bandage yourself up normally

Upvote 0
NO! These things just ruin the game, super long animations can **** you up badly and also scripted Sh*t sucks and ruins many many games.

Scripted (beep) like the call of duty insta kill knife? The sad truth is irl you can do things as fast as you can spam the buttons on your mouse or keyboard.
So long as a game does not over exaggerated an animation its fine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Why are you so against Germans? Why not stab a Russian over and over again.. that would make me more happy.

Upvote 0
While I don't know about kicking, it would be nice if there was a bayonet "lunge" for the bayonet power attack.

They bayonets are a lot harder to use than they should be, and that fact is worsened because it takes a good half second for your bayonet strike to actually register. To only way to pigstick somebody is if you sneak up behind them and they are completely motionless.,

If there was a bit of a "speed boost" or "lunge" right as you do they stabbing motion with the bayonet, then it'd give the attack much needed advantage.

Yeah I agree, I would like to see a committed lunge attack. Maybe recovery should be slower. Slow enough that some one could reload a bolt and shoot you before you turned for another attack.

Upvote 0